OS marital ethical dilemma

Our veg box contains some gorgeous aubergines...yum!

But DH claims he does not like aubergines bc his DAD (not HIM) felt ill after eating some in 1985...since then aubergines have been delcared highly toxic in my IL family.

For the record, when we first met, DH never touched anything containing the slightest bit of orange in it bc (apparently) it 'brings on his DAD's arthritis' (apparently this doesn't not apply to orange marmalade of which the whole family eats copious amounts :confused: ). Back then I asked DH why he didn't eat oranges. He repeated the bit about his dad. So I asked again why HE didn't eat oranges.
DH now wolfes oranges down and is always complaining I don't buy enough. :rolleyes:

Would it be terribly unethical of me to make aubergine and chickpea casserole for dinner and not tell him about the 'mystery' ingredient (assuming I peel it I don't think he would spot it)?
Otherwise I'll be eating aubergines all week and besides....I've got some chickpeas left over from yesterday that need eating up...

Actually do you know what is REALLY tempting??
To make chickpea and aubergine casserole for my ILs tomorrow...they're such a pain in the proverbial with a huge long list of food fads (of which only one is an actual allergy). To give you an idea these people actually ring up with a list of foods they don't want to eat. Once they sent me a letter with a list of unwanted foods! Honestly how many people do you know who object to spaghetti??? Reason: 'It goes to the back of my throat.' Solution: well, don't take such massive mouthfuls then. *sigh*
threadbanner.gif
"Finish each day And be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can."

Comments

• angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    make it and see if he notices;) if he asks what it is say its chickpea surprise:rotfl: and dont tell him till after he`s eaten it what`s in it :D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    Sorry but this really made me rofl - I don't know how you have kept your temper with either him or especially his in-laws.

I would just serve it up to your dh and would be tempted to do the same to the in-laws. One question I do ask is why do you still cook for them? I would either refuse to, or ask them to bring their own food pre-cooked and I would heat it up.

But that's just me - I am mean!!:shocked:
    :hello:
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    My ex-FIL is like that. He will only eat tinned peas when he's or home, or when he came to us, he'd eat frozen when in a hotel or restaurant tho! He also wouldn't eat my Sunday Roast, because he didn't like my gravy! I make it as my grandma showed me, meat juices, flour, veg water and a bit of browning. No one has ever complained before or since, but MIL only made hers with oxo (Thin watery stuff, my kids always refuse gravy in her house!)
    I was never so glad as when I got divorced! No more fussy in laws!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    :rotfl: :rotfl: This really made me laugh too, thanks. I thought my OH was bad not eating cabbage or relatives of cabbage, but at least that wasn't through lack of trying on his mum's part.

Anyway, aubergines are invisible to the naked eye and tastebuds if you do this. Bake them in the oven for about 40 mins (!!!!! with a skewer first). The aubergine should be all soft and wrinkled. Allow to cool, peel off skin and blend the flesh in a food processor. Combine it with minced meat, onions, spices etc to make spag bol (careful it doesn't stick to the back of your throat :rolleyes: :D ), meatballs, burgers, lasagne etc. The aubergine makes the meat really moist and enables you to use very lean meat without it drying up.

try pierce with a skewer !
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would just serve it up and not tell him - otherwise he will decide he "feels ill!"

Your in laws sound really rude and silly with it. No wonder there are people with eating disorders and people who genuinely do have problems with allergies are not taken seriously!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi npsmama

I sympathise with your FIL as I also find spaghetti goes to the back of my throat. Mind you so does everything else I eat it being the only route I've yet found from my mouth to my stomach.

Or I could give you my recipe for apple and strychnine pie.

LandyAndy
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Just feed it to him, he won't even notice.

I'd also tell his parents where to go. If someone's eating at my table they'll like what they're given :mad:.

Fussy eaters drive me mad.
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    do it do it do it :D

i hid some quorn in my OHs chilli last week, i didn;t need to, just felt like being devious :D
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • My kids refused point blank to eat Aubergines when little, so one day they had "Moussaka" which by some miracle :A had changed into Lasagne that was made with "potatoes" as we had run out of Lasagne sheets. After that they were fine about it :D.

Also No2 son hated mushrooms but loved Champignons :confused:
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    i had some lovely aubergine fritters last week...with a sort of tempura batter. peel the skin off and tell him they are crisps/potato/a new variety of sweet potato.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure