Renault Megane - swapped keyfob battery - now doesn't work!

Options
Does anyone have any advice on what's wrong with my keyfob. All I did was change the batteries and now it won't unlock the car and disarm the immobiliser. It's an R reg Megane with 'blip' keyfob to unlock door and disarm immobiliser. It's going t cost about £135 for a new one from a main dealer. Can I get one any cheaper?

Comments

• steady__eddie
    Options
    I am not familiar with the Renault keyfob and I do not wish to insult your intelligence but did you put the batts in the right way round polarity wise ?
    They may be new batts but are they charged ? I presume that they are button type, any way that you could check the voltage with a meter ?
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Could be that it needs to be reprogammed. We have a Kia and I am under the impression that if the battery runs out on the keyfob then the dealer will change it and then it has to reprogramme the fob - costs around £60 but I'd call your nearest dealer and double check with them.
  • ajbrynoffa
    Options
    Hello,i did this a few weeks ago and believe it or not mine wouldn`t work,but after a little tinkering i found i`d just tightened the screw too much....just loosen it a little and see if that makes a difference...is the rd light coming on on the fob?Have you tried another set of batteries?
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • MK500
    MK500 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Try holding down the button on the keyfob for about 10 seconds, this will make the light come on constantly, then press it twice in quick succession this will re-syncronise it with the imoboliser in the car.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Is there nothing in the car's handbook about changing the batteries?
    I know with both my last and present cars, Peugoet 307 and Vauxhall Meriva, there's a section in the handbook about what to do if the plip doesn't work after the battery change. I think with the Meriva the key has to be in the ignition with it turned on and either the lock or unlock button pressed. Don't do this on your Megane though, just in case!!
  • Raspberry_Ripples
    Options
    You need to take the cover off the battery and see how may digits are on the "key head marking"

If it has 5 or 7 digits, it needs to be programmed with diagnostic equipment at a main dealer.

If it has 8 digits, the following will work:
    Ensure ignition switched OFF. Press vehicle central door locking button for more than 5 seconds.

NOTE: Doors should lock then unlock.

Carry out the following within 10-15 seconds: Press first key lock/unlock button twice (once on some models). Press second key lock/unlock button twice (once on some models).

NOTE: Doors will lock or unlock.

The number of digits determine the type of remote control you have
    Key head marking:
    5 characters - Infrared
    7 characters - Infrared
    8 characters - Transponder and infrared or radio frequency
    None - Transponder and radio frequency

Basically if it has 5 or 7 numbers, you're screwed. Sorry.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • aj3001
    aj3001 Posts: 730 Forumite
    Options
    Keyfobs usually have a 10 minute life span without batteries, always do a google search to find the reprogramming codes, for volvos its turn the ignition on 5 times, on my toyota its decharge the fob, hold one button then press another - And Toyota wanted £70 to do that! 5 seconds worth of work!
  • crankup
    crankup Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an R Reg Scenic. I changed the battery last summer without a problem.
    :confused:
    I dunno about the digits - I daren't take it apart again now to find out in case it was a fluke.
    * "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
    ~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
    ~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~

• bobobrussel
    bobobrussel Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your xomments and recommendations. However, I've tried pointing the key ast the Freeview box (which has a Red LED that flashes in response to the remore control) and when I point the faulty keyfob at it and press the button, I get no response. If I try the same with the Master keyfob (which is working) I get a response. Therefore, I'm deducing that something has happened to the fob - either a bad joint on the PCB or something else. What's annoying is I used to work or a company that supplied truck security systems. A new transponder and programming instructions used to cost the customer £15.

Perhaps another scam that Martin should look into?
  • Hi, i have had the same experience involving an R reg Renault Scenic where the batteries had been changed. I have repaired 2 keyfobs myself which involves reprogramming the immobiliser to key fobs. To do this you will need to get the 4 digit code from a Renault dealer. Reprogramming takes under 5 minutes. If this issue has not been resolved already then i will leave step by step instructions to to this. Another similar problem i have fixed is re-soldering the infra red bit of the key back to the fob circuit board which again only takes a few minutes. If this does need soldering, you will still need to reset the key fob with the immobilser code from Reanult.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure