PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Energy Cost of a bread machine

Hi all,

I've been monitoring the cost of my bread machine's electricity
(Panasonic SD253).

Overall it costs about 1 p an hour to run: slightly less for just the dough programme and slightly more when it's baking. So 1 p an hour is a good approximation.

Ingredients for a 400g wholemeal loaf were 32p, so with 6 p for electricity, round up to 40p.

I would expect other breadmakers to be in the same ballpark.

Which conclusively proves that using a breadmaker is cheaper than any but the most cheapo and nasty bread.

Comments

• julianj1 wrote:
    Hi all,

(Panasonic SD253).

Overall it costs about 1 p an hour to run: slightly less for just the dough programme and slightly more when it's baking. So 1 p an hour is a good approximation.

Ingredients for a 400g wholemeal loaf were 32p, so with 6 p for electricity, round up to 40p.

Which conclusively proves that using a breadmaker is cheaper than any but the most cheapo and nasty bread.

I have a panasonic, but there is a programme on there for white bread which only takes 4 hours, surely this would be a saving of 2p?

I personally tend to blow the expense and put it on a delayed function overnight, so that it is ready for my brekkie at 6.30am, which probably costs me about 9p.

My ingredients tend to be more than this I think, I also use wholemeal flour, butter, sugar, salt, water, and dried skimmed milk, I am sure the flour alone worked out at about 36p ish.

I don't mind about the cost really, its the control over the contents thats more important to me, as local as I can make it. Now if only there was a mill in my area, I would be landed.

Anyone know how to find local flour mills online?
    I had a plan..........its here somewhere.
  • julianj1
    julianj1 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Sorry Mikey,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I'm averaging out the cost (excluding ingredients). So a shorter programme will cost less, so if it was a 3 hour white programme it would be around 3p. So yes it would cost 2p less.

When it is on the timer I would expect that it would cost virtually zip - it's not actually drawing a lot of juice compared to baking. So I think you can disregard that cost: IMO your white loaf on the timer would cost 3p not 9p in electricity , but as you have proposed a new test, I shall do that next time I use the timer to find out for sure. I'll post the result here.

cheers

Julian
  • julianj1 wrote:
    Sorry Mikey,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I'm averaging out the cost (excluding ingredients). So a shorter programme will cost less, so if it was a 3 hour white programme it would be around 3p. So yes it would cost 2p less.

When it is on the timer I would expect that it would cost virtually zip - it's not actually drawing a lot of juice compared to baking. So I think you can disregard that cost: IMO your white loaf on the timer would cost 3p not 9p in electricity , but as you have proposed a new test, I shall do that next time I use the timer to find out for sure. I'll post the result here.

cheers

Julian

I just wondered if it would be like a tv on standby, 'still sucking the juice' sort of speak.

Happy to be proven wrong if you have the time, have just spend 1/2 hour trying to find a flour miller in my area, closest is over 100miles away. Shame.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    mikeywills wrote:
    Anyone know how to find local flour mills online?

Easy peasy :)

google for:- "flour mill"+countyname exactly as written with the quotes and you'll get local ones to you :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky wrote:
    Easy peasy :)

google for:- "flour mill"+countyname exactly as written with the quotes and you'll get local ones to you :)

This is exactly what I did squeaky, it bought the history of every flour mill within my location, but the nearest working mill was an awful long way away.

I have since, emailed them hoping that they do mail order.
  • It is as I thought: the timer uses a negligible amount of electricity.

I had the BM on the timer for a few hours yesterday, and the lecky cost came out to 5.6 p (i.e. virtually the same as my first post above).
  • julianj1 wrote:
    Hi all,

(Panasonic SD253).

Just out of interest how did you calculate the energy costs? Have you got some kind of adapter that sits between the socket and plug which monitors what goes on?
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Yes, ObviouslyNotAnIdiotTalk you are correct.

This is what I have:Energy Monitor

cheers

Julian
  • Spendi
    Spendi Posts: 204 Forumite
    I've seen a million and one posts about breadmakers, but what i really want to know is, how much does it cost on average to make a normal wholemeal, white loaf in one ?

Me and my little one dont eat much bread, we buy a loaf and end up throwing half of it away, so i was thinking if it was cheap enough it might be easier for me to make a little loaf every few days ?
    *Spendi*

Ebay Total since Feb ~ £466.90

Quidco Earnings £288
    Pigsback Vouchers £40 330 piggy points
    Boots 1796 Points

Debt Free Date [STRIKE]March 2014[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]July 2009[/STRIKE] April 2009
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Spendi wrote:
    I've seen a million and one posts about breadmakers, but what i really want to know is, how much does it cost on average to make a normal wholemeal, white loaf in one ?

Me and my little one dont eat much bread, we buy a loaf and end up throwing half of it away, so i was thinking if it was cheap enough it might be easier for me to make a little loaf every few days ?

I'd like to know the answer to this too. We get through a fair amount of bread and I wonder if making our own would cut costs (definitely would cut the cost of the extras I get when I go in the shop "just for bread" :rotfl: )

The kids are only here weekends and they are the only ones that eat white bread so I usually freeze the loaf and just take slices out, as and when I need them. They separate up fairly easily when frozen and you can toast direct from frozen with our toaster. The loaf will keep fine for over a month that way and there's no waste.

Edit: and how come in the supermarket a half size loaf of bread costs more than a normal loaf????
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure