New Logmaker !

Options
I just bought the new style logmaker, which I feel sure is already mentioned somewhere in this section (sorry!) and I want to say that I got it for £16.99 from the Black Isle in Scotland, and it is SO easy to use all your household paper waste, coal dust, which I seem to collect in my coal bin, dried tea bags and anything else wholesome! I have only time to make about 6 or 7 per day when I am working, but it saves me about one and a half hours of fuel on my open fire. You need to have an established fire, but then I put on a paper log every half hour or so to save one log, or a few pieces of coal. It is definitely a great idea and I highly recommend it to anyone with an ordinary open fire. I have had it a week and I cannot believe how little rubbish is in my kitchen bin now. Go to ebay and watch the short video of the seller making the logs it convinced me. I suppose it might save me a bag of coal every 2 months or so, which here on the Isle of Skye is £10.50 or maybe £60 per year......got to be worth it.

Comments

• carrieparkinson
    Options
    i have a parkray fire. would this still be usable? i use logs etc but id love to cut down costs.
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • annscullamus
    Options
    I think they would be fine, they seem to burn just like a log, but they do make ash, as they have a lot of paper, so maybe you don't want that? I make a half dozen or so every couple of days and they give me in total about an hour's burn per night, saving about 7 hours per week, which must amount to a bag of fuel every so often!
  • annscullamus
    Options
    Yep! It sure is!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, is it any good. I wouldnt mind tryijng save dosh, but I dont buy newspapers and few magazines. I might have to scrounge for them I need to save money as thinsg will be tight when we move
  • annscullamus
    Options
    I don't but any newspapers and precious few magazines - I use all packaging, junk mail and mail envelopes. My kitchen bin is now being emptied only once per week as the rubbish going in it is much reduced. If you can scrounge papers, a Daily Mail or other tabloid size makes about 30/40 logs, so it is almost worth buying a big Sunday paper at a £1.20 or so, that does me all week for the outer part.
    I also use dried teabags, and the dross from the coal bin to pad out, and dried leaves from the garden, well a little damp as they burn a bit longer. I really think it is worth it unless you are not willing to sit in the evening twice a week and actually make them. It helps to have a strong chap to hammer down tight, but I mostly do them myself and have not regretted my purchase at all. Incidentally they are on sale everywhere else on the Internet for 19.99 - £30 ! So the price is a bargain too! At £7.50 per bag of logs, it pays for itself in a few months then it is all 'found fuel' .
    I do hope this is helpful, and I hope you had a lovely Christmas!
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    I thought I'd get one of these for Christmas, sadly not.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • crutches
    crutches Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    just ordered one.I hope it works.with me on dla and a big family we get so much free "fuel" from school/DSS/IR that i'd like to make use of it.!;)
    Every day above ground is a good one ;)
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought I'd bump this up as I've just started using one of these and I thought I'd share my findings.
    Its OK, not any better than that.
    You can try making your own, but I bet it won't last very long. Its made of a very flexable and strong plastic, mine will break sooner or later though, I can't see it lasting that long.
    It makes alot of ash, really alot, which covers your logs and puts them out, which you HAVE to have burning underneath or to the side, so you have to look after your fire more than before.
    As I said above, you can't just have a fire of these, it just doesn't work.

They maybe last for 15mins tops each.
    Shredded paper is pap. Maybe shedded newspaper is better?

One sheet of paper as a cover is enough, tried 2, it didn't work well.

I used about 18 yesterday and had the woodburner going for 4 hours, still had to use quite a bit of wood.

I'm in two minds about these, yes they work to a certain extent, no they are no way anywhere near as good as even thin bits of wood. I'll carry on using it, trying to work out the best way.

So far, cardboard mixed with thick paper seems to make the best logs.

edit, I still want to try one of the other logmakers, the squeeze wet pulp ones, I'll wait until summer then make a load, I hope to get one on freecycle before then. (where I got this one from)
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree make loads of ash and do not throw out hardly any heat if any when you take into account the wood does not burn as well because the ash suffocates it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure