🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Debt free the Fly lady way - anyone?

Options
UPDATE: The first seven days of the plan have been posted in a separate thread, which you can find permanently at the top of the DFW board, join in whenever you want, and then come over here to chat about how well you are doing ;) REMEMBER - you are never behind!

Lurking over at the old style board I have recently become initiated in the fly lady way of house keeping. Basically, it gets you to develop a house cleaning routine by building up habits one by one. You start small (firstly by making sure your sink is clean - ie you have done the dishes - every evening) and then adds in new habits so that before you know it you are doing things by second nature. Linzpower is selling her house using these principles.

I thought this might be a great idea to apply to us debt-free wannabes. When i started here a year ago and had my lightbulb moment my first instinct was to try and tackle everything at once. People had so many suggestions for my SOA (statement of affairs), I didn't know where to start and was feeling overwhelmed. A year on I have managed to tackle some of the big things but I'm still not as organised with my finances as i could be. I set aside a regular amount for debt repayment each month but could do with making the money left go further.

so I thought i would try and use the fly lady principles to manage my debt. Join in if you want to, They'll be a challenge for each of 31 days, by the end of this you should have formed habits that will last a lifetime. If you're reading this sometime in the future then just jump in and pick up the routines one by one in your own time. YOU ARE NEVER BEHIND
Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
Current debt: £14,000.00
Debt free date: June 2008

Comments

• chralph
    chralph Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is a good idea, something like it was done before i think if i remember correctly.

I may have to join in even tho im debt free at the moment ..

Chris!
    October £5 Per Day Challenge - £65/£95 :beer:
  • pudding06
    Options
    :T :T :T :T :T :T

I agree - sometimes we are so eager to help newbies on the dfw boards that we overwhelm them :rotfl:

but you do need to take some steps initially.

I set my self small steps to doing it - eg week 1 was to collect everything for my soa together

week 2 was to post it, and read the replies

week 3 was to register with pigsback and start doing clicks etc and with quidco.

week 4 was to register for mystery shopping companies to get more work. etc etc etc.

sometimes I was so motivated I did serval things in one week, Other weeks I've found it hard going . this months is the spending diary which has helped enormously.

baby steps - but once youve changed your sky package, gas and elec , and phone, etc you can make huge inroads!!! and you dont have to think about it again for a while.

pudds
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
  • dinkylou
    dinkylou Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. After all, it can be very daunting to try and do everything at once and it can so easily all fall down.

And also, this way it keeps people motivated as they find new things to add to their DFW agenda as they go along. Even us old school DFW's need a bit of help from time to time.

Good idea Tondella.
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. My way of doing debt is the one debt at a time road. Everyone sits just over min payment, then any spare money goes in a big chunk of the one debt I am trying to clear. The higher apr bills go first.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    great idea - one step at a time :)
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, a year in and I'm still wondering where the money has gone at the end of the month. I never got to grips with writing things down so I'm really going to work hard with this habit.

Pudding06, you're right, one-off things like changing packages really help too, and need only be done once or twice a year. As well as building up habits flylady also sends out announcements for less frequent activities and I reckon we could build this into our debt free fly lady, say have a utilities day, where we check our package and switch if necessary.
  • Tondella
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. My way of doing debt is the one debt at a time road. Everyone sits just over min payment, then any spare money goes in a big chunk of the one debt I am trying to clear. The higher apr bills go first.

snowballing is a great strategy and one that i have been using for the past year. However, now I want to start developing some money management skills that will last me into my debt-free years.

• loopyloulou_3
    Options
    great idea - i need to do this, so im with you on this one!
  • Tondella
    Options
    welcome loopyloulou!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Totally sensible and brilliant advice. Every penny counts! You'd be surprised how many people don't prioritise their debts and pay off the highest APR one first.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport