Lovely suprise in the post.. but small dillema..

Having a great start to the day! Recieved a nice cheque from HM revenue and customs for £115 because apparently I paid too much income tax in 04/05! Had no idea about it so it's come as a lovely shock!
Trouble is.. part of me wants to spend it on treating ourselves.. Don't know why.. we've done so well clearing off 3 debts in the space of a month and £115 extra would mean we could pay another one off sooner.. and I know if we did use it to treat ourselves that I'd have a serious comedown after and feel like I'd wasted the money.. but saying that I haven't treated myself in ages.. Argh!
Can someone please talk some sense into me! If I put it towards what we were originally planning with saving the next 3 lots of our tax credits and our child benefit we'd have £612.50 by 6th December which would pay off another debt easily with some left over.....
I know what DH will say.. he'll tell me to treat myself... but I just can't justify it knowing we'd still got debts outstanding! Argh!
threadbanner.gif
Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
Que sera, sera. <3

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    do you have any idea what you want to treat yourselves with?

If you have nothing specific in mind and just feel like blowing it- avoid doing so, it will be wasteful.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Hi

What a great surprise. Could you divide it up say half on a 'treat' and half on debt? Alternatively could you think of a 'treat' that is actually a need as well???

Have fun deciding what to do :D
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Could you not use a little to treat yourself - a meal out/cinema trip with OH. If not then I agree with Lynzpower put it onto your debt, you are doing so well and I'm sure you won't regret it.
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • See that's the thing I don't know of anything that I could justify spending it on! There's an xbox 360 game I want but I don't NEED it that's the trouble! There's nothing I need really only things I want and I've got the DFW mantra drummed into my head 'Do I need it, do I want it, can I afford it!' lol!
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you spend it you will regret it later.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DO YOU NEED A TREAT?

DO YOU WANT A TREAT?

CAN YOU AFFORD A TREAT?

For each question answered yes spend one third of the rebate!
    John
  • bobbadog
    bobbadog Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    I personally would treat myself in a MSE way (get your Xbox game if that's what you so desire, but either on eBay or with vouchers or a discount code or what not). Use the rest for paying things back - will make you feel good inside :)
  • dinkylou
    dinkylou Posts: 727 Forumite
    Yep, agree with others.

Don't spend it on something you don't need. You'll regret it.

Maybe keep a few pounds back for a small treat but put £100 towards your debts. You'll feel better for doing it.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    why not use one of tyhe LX codes over on the discount vouchers board, we got a Xbox game for £8 yesterday using the code :beer:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • We already get our games DFW stylee and DH gets 30% off them as he works for HMV.. so we get full priced xbox 360 games for normally around £25. :D
    Que sera, sera. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family