PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S disasters.... let us share...

Options
Not telling about my cooking ones cause you'll all just snigger but

Tried stardrop in my dishwasher - used too much and the washer thought it was blocked from all the foam took 3 hours to start again -Boy that foam lasts!
Then did an empty wash which reactivated all the foam which stopped the machine for 3 hours - so I left it overnight and washed it out by hand and it okay again :mad:

Comments

• bizzylizzy
    Options
    My attempts at sprouting seeds didn't go well but my DDs guinea pigs enjoyed the results!
    I also used cheap bio washing powder in DW with good results at first but then crockery kept coming out all streaky with white residue so I gave up and bought DW tablets (on offer). May have to think of something else when box is finished.
  • Punky
    Punky Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    First attempt at Plum Jam - result was black plum syrup. Second attempt successful after help from the OS gang. Punky x
    Punky x
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bizzylizzie

If you snap your dishwasher tablet in half and then use it - you will still get a good result.

I use white vinegar as a rinse aid and my glasses really gleam!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    I made a storecupboard chocolate fudge cake - but even after cooking for 1 hour it didn't set and I had to throw it out :eek:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Used a fabric conditioner bottle as a hot water bottle and popped it into my bed.Then when I got into bed I realized I hadn`t tightened the lid on enough and the bottle was empty of water but the matteress was lovely and warm and very wet!
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • frugalfairy_3
    Options
    I tried freezing pizza dough and then forgot to get it out in time to defrost before cooking, so bunged it in the microwave to gently warm though - result a crusty hard top on top of gooey pizza dough :o

Pizza tasted fine though, after I'd picked off all the horrible crusty bits ;)

FF xx
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Made a weetabix cake with plain flour and it came out like a brick!:o :D
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • fudgem
    fudgem Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    When I was a newly wed, I was making pastry for apple pies when I realised I didn't have any lard. (recipe called for 1/2 lard and 1/2 butter) I did have some beef dripping though so I thought that would do.

Believe me, the apple pies looked delicious and tasted foul:D
  • bizzylizzy
    Options
    elona wrote:
    bizzylizzie

If you snap your dishwasher tablet in half and then use it - you will still get a good result.

I use white vinegar as a rinse aid and my glasses really gleam!!!

I have Finish powerball tablets (OH bought them he's still in OS training :rolleyes: ) and I've just tried snapping one in half - it didn't work so I've sawn it in half with a knife, but some of the red ball bit has fallen off. I'll just put all the bits in with the half I think.
    Do you dilute your white vinegar for your rinse aid?
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Made cinnamon and apple muffins for some soon to be ex-colleagues (was being "let go" from a temporary job). Unfortunately I got v.confused and used ginger instead of cinnamon. The muffins were foul beyond belief, but my soon to be ex-colleagues politely forced them down anyway (hee hee).

Fudge...first attempt was sludge. So was the second. And the third. Persevered to prove to myself I could do it - fourth attempt was edible but I've never had the urge to make any more.

Soda bread - it's supposed to be quite flat, about an inch thick, and round, and is cooked in a frying pan. The outside of the bread was crunchy, the middle uncooked. Tried again, got the same result. The final solution in my house was to bake it in the oven. The original frying pan took several attempts and a number of different methods to get cleaned (and it still has a fair bit of black on it).

There are many blunders made in the house of SnowyOwl...not that I would ever tell you lot the half of them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure