PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do I need a food processor as well as a Kenwood Chef?

Options
Assuming I have a KC 701 with blender, shredder, mincer, pea huller, all 3 hooks, sausage stuffer.

Would I need a separate food processor instead?

In other words, have I done a really stupid thing by getting rid of my food processor :undecided
"Finish each day And be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can."

Comments

• Thistle-down
    Options
    If you want stuff really finely chopped up you can get away with using your Kenwood chef blender - sometimes you have to kind of keep pushing stuff down with a spatula i.e. for chopped onions.

Since you have the shredder and mincer I wouldn't think you would need a food processor for anything!
    :happylove
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phew!

Thistle down, as your here...where's the best place (apart from Ebay) to get attachements for a 701?

Also, how much do you think is worth paying for the colander/sieve attachment?
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    The cheapest place to find them are boot sales. I have picked up quite a few for as little as £1.00. I have put up cards in shop windows before saying that I wanted a certain attachment as well, I had a few calls. Aside from that, ebay is the main resource that I know of.

I probably wouldn't pay more than £10 for the colander / seive, I guess it depends on how badly you want one and how often you will use it. It's very handy for jam making! Mine came with an older Chef I bought - sold on the chef for the same price so had a "free" colander!

I think the older colanders that are made entirely of aluminium are quite a bit sturdier than the new ones. Also they fit both models so if you see one intended for a 901 it will still work with your A701.

;)
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    ps can you tell that I never, ever, ever get tired of talking about Kenwood Chefs? :o:o:o
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I've had mine years. How do I find out the model No?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • npsmama
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Turn it over completely and look on the base. there's a metal plate with something like A901 or A701 on it. That's the model number.

Thanks Thistle, if you ever want to chat Kenwood I'm here!! There should be a discussion group dedicated to the magic of these machines!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    *looks blank and a little scared*

These Kenwood thingies, they're a bit good then is it??????

*wonders what all the fuss is about*

:D
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• npsmama
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They are fantastic for making bread, cakes, biscuits, mousses, homemade butter, whipped cream, liquidising soups, homemade sausages, shredding cheese/veg/fruit, mincing meat, making pates, homemade pasta, and the list goes on. There's even an attachment for poato peeling!

If you're a keen cook they're great as they do so much. :T
    If you hate cooking but have to do some anyway they're great as they do all the grotty jobs for you. :j

Plus they're easy to clean and easy to use.

And they last for decades.

And they look great.

And you can often get a reasonable priced one on Ebay.

And the older ones are better built and more sturdy than the new ones that cost about 4 times as more.

So yes, they are good things, to put it mildly.

The only thing to watch out for is that attachments for 701 models aren't manufactured anymore. 901 models take the modern attachments though.
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    There's a good thread here about them. Also if you do a search in OS for Kenwood Chef you will come up with lots of info.

I wouldn't do a quarter of the cooking / baking that I do (and as sucessfully) without my Kenwood Chef - I couldn't begin to add up how much I have saved on groceries by buying only basic ingredients and making everything myself. The mixer takes so much work and time out of the equation that I find myself making things I wouldn't even have considered before - and for the first time ever I can make delicious pastry!!;) ;);)

Wouldn't be without mine!!!!!:j
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    p.s. age doesn't seem to matter if the machine has been well cared for - I have a 1950 A700 Kenwood Chef that runs beautifully - 56 years old!! I had it serviced last year and the electrician said he couldn't believe how well made it was - better than a few cars he had seen!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport