The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 13 April 2010 at 6:12PM in Gone off!
No, you’re not dreaming! Your groceries are shrinking. Manufacturers’ latest wheeze’s to drop products’ sizes, but keep prices the same. So we’d love to get your feedback on any food you've seen shrinking.

Please press reply to share your experiences.

Are you sure it shrunk?

Its easy to think things used to be bigger (i remember when Wagon Wheels were twice the size of my hands!) so please try and back it up with the stats and measures if you can.

P.S. Thanks to the Daily Mail journalist who suggested this thread. It was so popular we decided to reformat it and include in the weekly email.

Do remember this is a public forum & these are individuals' opinions. MSE hasn't checked out this info, so we can't vouch for whether each post is correct or not. Please try and be as accurate as you can if you do post.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457
    Forumite
    Somebody reported on these forums not long back that Copella apple juice has shrunk.
  • mystkate
    mystkate Posts: 49 Forumite
    Next time you go to the shops check out how small Milkyway's are now....I thought I had picked up one of those fun size ones.

Kate.
    Freebies - Max Factor Foundation, Burt Bees Goody Bag, Lenor sachet, Clipper Tea, 3 samples from the Skincare Sanctuary, Kathy Lette book , Sample of Rock n Dream, Virgin Sim Card, sample bottle of Bailey's,
    Comps won - John Smiths shirt, Yorkshire Tea bags x 2,
  • chelms38
    chelms38 Posts: 425 Forumite
    I think most food items are being reduced in size although the price seems to be increasing.I don't know if anyone else agrees,but I think
    loaves seem to be minus a few slices.
  • pruney
    pruney Posts: 333 Forumite
    I noticed at christmas the large packs of smoked salmon that Sainsburys sell had shrunk from 400g to 360g but were the same price as the previous year (£4.99, usually £9.99). Only noticed as it's the only time of year I buy smoked salmon.
    Also noticed the large bars of cadburys chocolate which were strongly advertised as big enough for sharing at 250g are now 230g (could eat a whole one myself at 250g so not sure how they think I can share now there's even less!).
    My Dad also mentioned a while back that the basics/value branflakes at asda were 78p for 1kg when he started buy them but now they're 750g and he hadn't noticed (I pointed it out to him!).
  • pruney
    pruney Posts: 333 Forumite
    Also, bottles of yop have shrunk but can't remember the new size. Although to be fair, the price shrunk as well I think, but I liked the bigger bottles anyhoo!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tesco sandwich meats too- for the past few months have been 85g and not 100g as they used to be. Infuriating as I pay the same price. Not worth it and I end up in M&S where atleast I get better quality for my pennies.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2010 at 2:16PM
    Morrisons Trifles, up 10p in price, the bowls under the lid (the lids are the same size that they were) are considerably smaller now.

Dont bother buying them anymore.

Also, Morrisons have got wise to the fact that people buy cooked meat by asking for so many slices, so what do they do, cut the slices a lot thicker so you have to spend more money, the annoying thing is that they think the customers are too stupid to notice.............
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169
    Forumite
    Tropicana large orange juice down from 1.75l to 1.5l - does advertise 'new size' but also old price plus bought some aeros in a multipack from Asda and they are tiny - mind you that's probably not a bad thing - got to think of my waistline (one thing that is definitely NOT shrinking) :rotfl:
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • preep
    preep Posts: 924
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Cornetto Classic 6 pack are now 90mls, they look much smaller than they use to be I'm sure they were 110mls.
  • Sunny Delight has shrunk from 1.5 litres to 1 litre, and the price is the same. I make that a very large 50% reduction in size.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure