PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Menu Planning Tips (merged)

Options
Looking for some ideas from those who plan their meals in advance and cook from scratch. Since finding this website, I have been planning as much as I can, but always seem to run out of ideas! Main problem is I work shifts, so like to have really quick/light meals for the week I work lates as I don't get my dinner till 10pm. So far, I've been making spag bol, although didn't do the sauce from scratch as dolmio was on offer! Am also very good at soup and have been having a soup night once a week to cut costs. Just looking for some more meal ideas, which are quite cheap and healthy.
Total Debt (27th Nov 08) £16,707.03 Now £5,102.72
Debt Free Date [strike]Nov 2012[/strike] August 2011

Comments

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    How about tuna and pasta bake. Cook some pasta, add tin of tuna, some sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes, passata (or tin tomato soup). Put it in the oven with some cheese on top or crushed crisps with cheese on top. Doesnt have to go in the oven though, as long as everything is heated through.
    If you like sausage casserole, it doesnt take long (you could cook in advance). Brown some sausages, add tin of tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, tin of baked beans.

Baked potatoes and beans/cheese/tuna mayonnaise/etc

Veg curry, put some oil in pan and add chopped veg to soften. Add curry powder and tin of tomatoes, and a veg stock cube. Add a bit of water if it goes dry. Meanwhile boil your rice.

Might think of some more late.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • crazyhazy
    crazyhazy Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, unforturtunately tuna pasta is out as other half doesn't like tuna! I may make it though to take to work the weeks I'm on lates, as it does sound nice!

Was also wondering how often people shop and how far in advance they plan their meals. I'm trying to only go shopping once every 2 weeks, but we always end up popping in for bits we've forgot and rolls to take lunch to work.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you thought of trying a slow cooker and then food is ready as soon as you get home? There are some very good ideas on the slow cooker thread on this site.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK, this is from my menu planner (Most normal people call it a diary, if mine was ever stolen it would give the thief a good laugh! I have no social life, just lists of dinners!). My husband works shifts, finishing at 9pm on alternate weeks so I try to do things which can be cooked in 2 seperate batches or re-heated later for him as I can't wait that long! I find routine is the key ingredient, it doesn't have to be repetitive food but it helps to have a basis in mind to start with.

Every Tuesday is Jacket Potato night : fill with baked beans/cheese/coleslaw/leftover sunday roast chicken in mayo/ratoullie/tuna/tinned salmon.
    Every Thursday is Quiche night : I'm lucky that my mum is always making these for us but if we ever run out I make my own (using packet pastry I'm afraid) with cheese, eggs, milk & whatever veg is going soggy in the fridge, it can be frozen in slices or whole as preferred. Serve hot or cold (takes about 30 seconds to heat in the microwave) with steamed veg/salad/baked beans/chips.
    Friday night is Fish night. Sometimes we have grilled salmon or tuna steaks, or rainbow trout (looks expensive but one £2 trout with veg/salad serves us both) sometimes a fish pie made with steamed cod or similar in a homemade parsley sauce topped with mash potato, sometimes a prawn curry (cheap tiny value prawns are ideal, chop & fry an onion, throw in prawns, add 1 jar Pataks tikka masarla sauce & your done! Takes 10 minutes plus rice cooking time). Occasionally we'll have fish in breadcrumbs or batter but I'm not that fussed. Whole fresh grilled sardines are cheap & lovely if you don't mind bones. And theres always fish cakes, make using tinned tuna/salmon or fresh/frozen cod/hake/whatever with parsley, a little finley chopped spring onion & mashed potato, shape into rounds & fry lightly in oil.
    Saturday is "Takeaway night". Except we don't get a takeaway. We just eat takeaway style food. Pizza & garlic bread, tacos (cheap with mince or use tinned beans for a cheap veggie alternitive, go easy on the expensive dressings like cheese & sour cream, add sliced tomatoes & mushrooms or onions for diffrent flavours), Chinese food I get by buying reduced supermarket Chinese food over a period of weeks & freezing it until we've got several different things then adding my own rice, ditto for Thai & Indian food. I know I could make this myself from scratch but it's nice to have a bit of luxury without all the washing up, plus buying it in the reduced section means we often get it for pennies anyway!
    We don't have a roast every sunday but if we do its usually chicken. One small chicken gives enough for both our Sunday dinners accompanied by roast potatos & veg, enough leftover chicken for a pasta bake or curry another night & we always make soup for work lunches with the bones. Quite often we have enough leftover chicken for sandwiches too.
    Other meals for those in-between nights inculde pasta bakes filled with sliced cooked sausages, veg, cooked chicken or turkey pieces, in a sauce (Make a white sauce & vary it by adding cheese/peppercorns/white wine/onions/herbs) or in tinned chicken or mushroon soup. We also love macorini cheese which is nice & filling & cheap, basically pasta, cheese sauce & topped with grated cheese. Use Extra Mature chedder & you get the same flavour for a lot less cheese. Lovely served with garlic bread. We also like stuffed potato skins : Part bake potatos, allow to cool, split in half & scoop out middles leaving about 1cm flesh all round. Fill with leftover Chinese/Mexican food, veggies or mince & top with cheese and/or bacon bits, pop back into oven until hot through. Save scooped out flesh for shepherds pie/fish pie/fish cakes. We also make vegetable & chicken curry & risiotto (you don't need to use expensive risiotto rice but you do have to stand over it stirring the whole time it is cooking), we have the occasional steak or beef bourginion when the meat is on special offer & we have the occasional healthy version of a fried breakfast for dinner!

I only shop once a fortnight & find that making a menu plan & a shopping list, including breakfast & lunch materials, based on the menu plan essential. Fruit & veg keeps fine in the fridge over this time if you get good use by dates, supplemented by frozen sweetcorn & peas. I even try to estimate the cost of each item & therefore my total shop cost before going. Then I can revise my list & menu plan to fit in with any special offers when I'm in the shop without breaking the budget. I have to say, I couldn't manage any of this without my freezer though!!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Penny-Wise_4
    Options
    I do a ‘big’ shop once a month (about £100) and top up shops each week for milk, bread, eggs, veg, etc (£10) in total this works out at about £35 a week.

I have my meals on a 4-weeks rota, so eat and buy the same things once a month, I do change the meals for the seasons so less stews and more salads in summer, etc.

My busiest days are Tuesday and Wednesday as I work full time and have to come in, make tea, get ready to go out again in about an hour so Wednesday is left-over day where I cook any meals that I have stashed in the freezer and Tuesday is ‘tomato pasta’ day as I can have this ready in less than 15 minutes:

Tomato Pasta (this is my mum’s recipe)

Serves 2

1 tin tomatoes
    glug olive oil
    basil
    pasta

Put tomatoes and olive oil in a microwave proof bowl with a lid (I use a glass casserole dish as plastic bowls can get discoloured from the tomato & oil) and cook on full power for 10 minutes.

Boil the pasta

When the 10mins is up turn the pasta off and drain. Blend the tomatoes with a hand blender and add the basil and the pasta and then serve.

You can put cheese on top if you want to

During the 10 minutes the pasta & tomatoes are cooking you could cook some veg in a little olive oil – mushrooms, courgette, peppers, aubergine, etc and then mix them in before you serve it.

If you want to know my full 4 week menu list I will post it.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    When meal planning, do it in chunks you can cope with. For example, if you can only cope with a 2 week plan, then that is all you need to do.
    Some people would bake double amounts during that 2 weeks and freeze the extra's so that they can get 3 weeks worth in reality.

One very good tip my dmother gave me was this:- PLAN YOUR LEFTOVERS!

If you're making spag bol one night, make up double the sauce, either put the spare half in the fridge to make a pasta bake on day 3 or, freeze it for another time.

If you are making a meal with mashed potatoes, make double, then in your menu planning, consider using the extra mash for another meal - making Shepards Pie, Fish Cakes, Bubble n Squeek, potato cakes etc.,

A casserole is a great way to eek out the cooking process, menu planning game and the budget! Leftover casserole can be made into a pie (either a mashed potato topping type pie or shortcrust pastry); it can be pureed to make the base for your soup.

When I first began menu planning, I attacked it and knuckled it down using a couple of methods until I'd streamlined it.

1) I wrote on the calender what we'd eated that day (a pattern began to form!)
    based on that I then:
    2) Shopped for what I believed I needed then used the shopping receipt to draw up a menu plan

By doing both, I eventually worked out just how much I was spending!!! Then, a few nip and tucks - voila - a more cost effective, less stress way to feed my hungry brood :D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • crazyhazy
    crazyhazy Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Penny-Wise wrote:
    )

If you want to know my full 4 week menu list I will post it.

If you wouldn't mind that would be great, am interested to see what other people eat, as I start off well then run out of ideas!
  • Penny-Wise_4
    Options
    Here is my menu plan, I’ve put in where I got a some of the recipes from – they may give you some ideas too. Any other recipes are from my mum.

You may guess that I have a Jamie Oliver cookbook – ‘Happy days with the naked chef’ – really good book, I’ve used it loads – some of his recipes can be found on the BBC website.

Week 1

Mo Lamb Curry & rice (with left over lamb from Su)– Jamie Oliver curry sauce recipe can be found on https://www.bbc.co.uk/food
    Tu Tomato Pasta (as posted before)
    We Frozen meal (left-overs not convenience meal)
    Th Chilli – Baked Potato, salad, homemade coleslaw, cheese
    Fr Griddled salmon, new potatoes, veg/salad
    Sa Lasagne, garlic bread, salad
    Su Roast Lamb, potatoes, veg, gravy, Yorkshire puddings

Week 2

Mo Braised Steak, roast potatoes, veg
    Tu Tomato Pasta
    We Frozen meal
    Th Nachos – Chilli, tortilla chips, cheese, salad, guacamole
    Fr Fish pie – fish in white sauce with mash on top
    Sa White Fish Curry & Rice
    Su Roast Chicken, stuffing, potatoes, veg, gravy

Week 3

Mo Chicken White Wine & Cream Sauce (left over chicken from Su), sauce = glass of white wine, small pot of cream, chicken stock cube, cornflour to thicken served with pasta or mash & veg
    Tu Tomato Pasta
    We Frozen meal
    Th Chicken Tikka Masala, not quite like the take-away but very nice and quite quick – will post recipe if anyone wants it.
    Fr Mustard Seed Salmon & Gratin recipe from https://www.uktvfood.co.uk
    Sa Sausage Casserole, very similar to tiff’s recipe above
    Su Roast Chicken, stuffing, potatoes, veg, gravy

Week 4

Mo White Fish with herby crust, recipe from https://www.uktvfood.co.uk
    Tu Tomato Pasta
    We Frozen meal
    Th Lemon Chicken & rice, veg stir-fry, my own recipe will post it if anyone wants it.
    Fr Vegetable Curry & Rice
    Sa Avocado & White Fish, Jamie Oliver recipe – in an oven dish put white fish, a handful of prawns, a handful of basil, a sliced avocado - pour on a small pot of cream grate some cheese on top & bake for 20 minutes serve with salad and new potatoes.
    Su Roast Lamb, potatoes, veg, gravy, Yorkshire puddings

When I won’t be using left over roast meats the next day I freeze it and use it either on a Wednesday or next time I need it for a recipe/make soup out of it. I always use the bones from the roasts to make stock - I make a big pan of soup from this each week for my lunches at work with any left over veg.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would love your lemon chicken recipe, I've never been able to get it right but then I tend to make it up as I go along!
    The white fish & avacodo sounds good too, will be trying that one out!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are all soooo helpful! I'm fired with enthusiasm now - had got into a really boring rut of pies, spag bol, fish sausages etc. Have printed out your routines and will try to be different!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure