Saving Pennies Whilst Working

My biggest problem as to why I'm not saving money is the amount I spend whilst on my lunch at work. I go out & buy lunch (usually £2.99), plus clothes & un-necessary food for dinners which we don't need!

Any top tips as to saving money apart from the obvious solution of leaving the purse at home?

Thank you! :j

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    I really think not taking money is the answer! Or just taking a very small amount.

If you took your lunch to work with you then you wouldn't need to go out at all, or could spend your lunch hour going for a walk or something (not a walk round the shops).

I'm like you once I'm in the shops I spend money, so I take lunch most days and have a drawer full of soups etc for the days I forget (or oversleep!).

If you have to buy lunch then could you leave your purse at work and just take the £3 out with you?

With clothes you could try the old tip of when you see something you want write it down in a notepad. If you still want it a few days later (and haven't found it cheaper elsewhere) then you go back and buy it.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • I'm 100% guilty of the work lunch spending spree as well =/ I'm used to spending £25 per week on lunch at work, which is insane. By doing a meal plan for each day of not-boring-sandwiches I've managed to get my spend this week to a fraction of that. Maybe something like this would work for you?

As for clothes spending etc is there something you can do at lunch rather than shop? Some companys have unrestricted computer access, or organise things for people to do in their lunch hour (if you are lucky!) Failing that, go for a non-shopping walk?
    Aiming to be debt free AND a qualified lawyer by 30!
    * Overdraft: £1,700 * Credit Card:
    [STRIKE]£1,550[/STRIKE] £1,534 * Uni fees: [STRIKE]£945[/STRIKE] £300 * Wonga:[STRIKE]£290[/STRIKE] * ILEX: £635 *
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    pinkpinkuk wrote: »
    I'm 100% guilty of the work lunch spending spree as well =/ I'm used to spending £25 per week on lunch at work, which is insane. By doing a meal plan for each day of not-boring-sandwiches I've managed to get my spend this week to a fraction of that. Maybe something like this would work for you?
    Gotta have nice stuff for my sandwiches. Mrs Shadow looks after me and I rarely feel the need to buy out. And my sandwiches are always something to look forward to.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Theres a new challenge on here for packed lunches and saving money on your lunches at work. Sounds like what you are needing!
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • Talking of moneysaving and work, anyone have any idea how much you would save by recharging mobile phones and ipods at work instead of at home?
    Debt at 1/1/11 £7,049.75, now £6,682.12 at 9/3/11
  • rictus123
    Forumite
    Pennies but every penny counts, go for it. Simular instead of coming home and having a cup of tea, have 1 at work before you come home! Every little really does help in my eyes. A few changes can make a big difference.
  • One thing I cant bring myself to do is have a dump at work instead of at home, thus saving myself money in bog roll and water. Id rather do it at home!!!
    Debt at 1/1/11 £7,049.75, now £6,682.12 at 9/3/11
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    why don't you take a lunch box with you make sarnies at home or salads or whatever you like

alos take a flask with tea or coffee in
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • rictus123
    Forumite
    Cheers for sharing that btw lol. I take in 2 lunch boxes and a flask and a big bottle of dilutin juice. I have 2 lunch boxes so if i open one and dont fancy something in there, i have something in the other one instead of going to a shop. What i dont use i just take the next day until it gets used up! Get a cheap kettle for work instead of a flask even?
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Are there any free activities near your workplace that you can enjoy without spending?
    I used to work in central London once a month, & popped into galleries at lunch times for a quick burst of culture (mind, it was a compulsory full hour lunch break!)
    Otherwise, go for a walk: gives you a chance to get out of the building & get some fresh air.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport