Cheapest raw cat food

Options
There has been a lot of discussion on here recently about the relative benefits and value of Dry cat food versus Wet and Raw. Personally I have changed my cats from their lifetime of dry onto a mix of high quality wet and raw.
I have just come back from my friendly local Halal butcher with a big CHEAP bag of goodies for my cats. I paid £1.50 for a pound of chicken hearts and as I bought a couple of other bits for myself...he threw in a whole carrier bag of chicken necks for free. Bargain.
The cats went wild for it and I think it works really well as a supplemental food source.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, now that is MSE! :money:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • golden_eagle
    Options
    I went to my local butchers (they all know me there as go there regularly) the other day and asked if they had giblets explaining it was for my kittens but they said they didn't do giblets... :confused: Did you just ask for chicken necks? Do you think I should have asked directly for hearts and necks etc? In the end went to Tesco and got a big pack of chicken wings.
  • emlou2009
    emlou2009 Posts: 4,016 Forumite
    Options
    i went to PAH a couple of days ago and noticed that they now sell frozen raw food? i hadnt heard it mentioned on here so wasnt sure if anyone was aware of it. they had big bags of frozen minced meat, chicken parts and i think a tray platter with lots of meats on it?
    Mummy to
    DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    I will have to price up the PAH offerings. I don't have a friendly butcher (obviously need one!) so have looked at fresh pigs heart in Morrisons (£1 for large pack), frozen chicken liver in Tesco (44p a tub) and frozen chicken portions in Sainsbury (£1.40 per kilo).
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    I get mine from www.food4cats.co.uk

I don't know if you are aware (I've participated in so many raw food threads that I forget who said what) but you need to feed 80% muscle meat, 10% organ meat and 10% bone for a complete diet?

If you're already aware....I'll get me coat! :D
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • golden_eagle
    Options
    Petal wrote: »
    you need to feed 80% muscle meat, 10% organ meat and 10% bone for a complete diet?

I have read this somewhere but how do you know you are giving them the correct mix/amount? Do you have to weigh it and calculate %??? Sounds too scientific and complicated to do first thing in the morning when I am running late to catch my train. :rolleyes:
  • cheepskate_2
    Options
    [QUOTE=Fire_Fox;27269375,_frozen_chicken_liver_in_Tesco_(44p_a_tub)_and_frozen_chicken_portions_in_Sainsbury_(£1.40_per_kilo).[/QUOTE]

if you go into asda you get smart price chicken wings for £1.57 per kilo, got to be less water in them than frozen
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    cheepskate wrote: »
    if you go into asda you get smart price chicken wings for £1.57 per kilo, got to be less water in them than frozen

Great minds ... I have Smartprice wings in the freezer at present! :D Read the package on the Sainsbury's Basics offering and it doesn't mention added water, I *think* they have to label this?? Plan B is to buy a fresh whole Smartprice chicken and butcher.
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    I have read this somewhere but how do you know you are giving them the correct mix/amount? Do you have to weigh it and calculate %??? Sounds too scientific and complicated to do first thing in the morning when I am running late to catch my train. :rolleyes:

I think those who do this buy in bulk and freeze in pre-mixed portions: some don't worry about balancing each meal but try to balance each day or over a couple of days. AFAIK you can feed too much liver (excess of certain vitamins) but not a problem to add extra heart as it is technically a muscle, just higher in taurine. You also need to feed some of the skin for essential fats.

Perhaps ask Gillian over on Purrs, she is great at the practicalities? :confused: Noah doesn't eat the larger bones so unless I grind the bones up myself (no chance) I can't police the percentage he gets. TBH this is one of the reasons I don't intend to feed raw from scratch all the time!!
  • paddypaws101
    Options
    Petal...I too have read up a lot about feeding raw and do understand that there needs to be a balance, but don't get your coat it is still good to remind others!
    I do not think I can be confident in getting the mix so accurate that i will feed 100% raw...that is why I spoke about this food source being supplemental. So last night they had raw, this morning Bozita tinned.
    British butchers seem to buy the chickens in cleaned and I was having trouble finding giblets and hearts. As it happens there is a busy Halal butcher just across the road from my house and they chop and portion chickens for restaurants locally. This leaves them with an endless supply of the offcuts which are perfect raw meaty bones for cats. I think Kosher butchers might also be a good option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure