PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to cook fresh mackerel?????

Options
hi :easter:

can i pick u lots brains?? i know that u are a knowledgeable lot!!!

i have bought some reduced fresh mackerel from tescos for tea. how could i cook it and do i have to filllet it????

any suggesstions gratefully recieved

thanks

love dorry :icotbaske
'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
Mother Teresa :D

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    as long as it is gutted then you can coat with Olive oil and either grill it each side for about 10 minutes or wrap in foil with a little oil (and veg/garlic if you wish) and stick in a oven at 220c for about 20 minutes

should just fall of the bone
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cooked a whole mackerel yesterday. What puts me off mackerel is the smell if I grill or dry fry. The smell permeates the whole house and lingers for ages. I wrapped this mackerel in silver foil and popped a couple of lemon slices in with it. It then went into the oven for about 20 minutes. Easy to do, tasted lovely and best of all no smell!!
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    You could put it on the barbecue and then you don't get the smell in the house, and it is delicious - just do what Kittie says and then barbecue it. Yum! :D
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all your replies,

i am going to do it in the oven.

off to cook the potatoes to go with it

cheers xxx
  • purpleimp
    purpleimp Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is a bit late in the day, but I coat mine in oatmeal and fry up it's absolutely fantastic! it's really good battered and deep fried too!
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    hi and welcome purplemp, :hello:

thank you so much for your reply, it's sounds delish, next time when i get some from tesco's i gonna roll in oatmeal!! oh is also noseying about and he says he would try it that way!!! thanks
  • Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just been rooting around in the freezer for the store cupboard challenge and found mackerel which i bought reduced ages ago so it needs eating up but apart from fishcakes i cant think what to do with - any ideas anyone??
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Kedgeree:
    Fry onion, add rice and a little curry powder and mix. Add in twice as much water as rice, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cover with a lid and reduce heat.

Meanwhile hard boil some eggs. When they are done put them in a pan of cold water to prevent further cooking and make them easier to handle. If you peel the eggs under water it's much easier to get the shells off cleanly too. Roughly chop the hard boiled egg.

Flake the makerel and add to the almost cooked rice, you could also add some frozen peas at this point but I don't think that's very authentic. Once the mixture is cooked gently stir in the chopped egg. You have to be quite careful not to break the yolks up too much. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Or you could just eat the mackerel with bread and butter and mustard. Nice with tomatoe salad.

A nice simple recipie is cooked flaked makerel , chopped frankfurters, broad beans and cooked pasta shapes stirred into melted soft cheese with a little mustard.
  • Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks so much i will try the kedgeree i think!!
  • Marsh_Samphire
    Options
    Flake the fish, mix with ricotta cheese and some lemon juice - makes a lovely pate great with crackers.
    Marsh Samphire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport