Is it wrong to want it all? Ramblings and other stuff

Well I've had to change my username as I've totally forgotten my log in details, so here I am as a newbie again.

I've been meaning to set up a diary for a little while, so here goes.

I'm 27 and live with my hubby and little boy who is 18 months, I'm also 6 months pregnant and due to finish work in 10 weeks. We live in a biggish house with a biggish mortgage that we're paying only paying interest on. We have 2 cats and a daft dog that live with us, and have recently sold one of our cars to save some money.

The idea is that I'm going to have a year off work, and hopefully not go back, but obviously that depends on how we can manage while I'm off work. I may do a bit of part-time work in the evening or from home to tide us over.

Also, we're trying to do up our house. We bought it from an old couple and it was really chintzy and gross. So far we've put in a new kitchen, redone our bedroom and put in a new en-suite. Redecorated the lounge, and done our little boys room. We would still like to do the dining room, the hallway, the spare room, which will be baby number 2's room, and the utility room which is started, but needs plastering.

This diary is for my general ramblings around how we'r trying to save money but still have a life, along with keeping the little un occupied, getting all the thigns ready for the new baby, doing up the house, and hopefully saving up for a holiday too.

I will post a SOA soon, but am just about to check out the freezer to see what we can have for tea.
Mummy to 3 fabulous boys all under 4 :eek:

Comments

• hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,830
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Didn't want to read and run, but just want to say good luck :) Your little family sounds fantastic :)

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • LittleBit_2
    LittleBit_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Oops I meant to post this in the Diaries board, hopefully someone will move it for me?
  • LittleBit_2
    Well today and yesterday were low spend days really :beer:

Yesterday I met a new friend (trying to make some more mum friends) and we went to a soft play centre where you get a drink and biccy for the little uns, and then a coffee, all for £3 so didn't think that was too bad.

Today I met another friend and we took the little uns to a playgroup that's £1.50 and they get a drink and a snack again.

This afternoon I walked town to the midwife drop in clinic and got soaked :eek: I just had a routing antenatal appt as my appts are spread out really far apart at the moment. Everything was fine and DS and I got to listen to baby's heartbeat :j
    We were supposed to be going to a barbacue tomorrow, but as it's been peeing it down all day and is supposed to be all weekend, I doubt we will be going. In the morning we're going to a nearly new sale to get some autumn/winter things for DS, and some teeny bits for the new baby.

Oh yeah, we went out for tea tonight too, but just to the carvery, so it was only £13 for all of us.

On the house front we've STILL not got a plasterer I'm getting fed up of waiting for this room to be finished GRRR.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Hi Littlebit

Glad to hear things are well with your bump. Is DS really excited at the thought of a little sibling?

You sound really busy with major decorating, your DS and your new addition, not to mention the pets. I'm impressed you are finding time for money-saving stuff as well.

Have you a lot of debt to repay or is it more about saving money so you don't have to work fulltime? Hope things go well for you.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Flower08
    Flower08 Posts: 4,771 Forumite
    Hi, just wanted to say goodluck with the whole journey. I will look forward to seeing how you get on and will follow the thread with interest!
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss: 13 / 20 lb
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 26,965
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just popping along to wish you luck... it sounds like you are cutting your cloth to suit your new circumstances which is good...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • LittleBit_2
    Tixy wrote: »
    Hi Littlebit

Glad to hear things are well with your bump. Is DS really excited at the thought of a little sibling?

You sound really busy with major decorating, your DS and your new addition, not to mention the pets. I'm impressed you are finding time for money-saving stuff as well.

Have you a lot of debt to repay or is it more about saving money so you don't have to work fulltime? Hope things go well for you.

Hi,

DS doesn't really have a clue that he's getting a brother or sister yet, he's only 18 months, so is more instereste in tractors and bikes at the moment :rotfl:

Yes we've been busy with deorating ever since we moved in really (2 and a half years ago!!) and we're trying to wind down a bit now. The plan was actually to get the garden sorted, but the weather has put that on hold for a little while.

We don't have a lot of debt to repay at all, at the moment it's only a credit card with £400 owing on it, but we're hoping to buy DH a scooter or small bike for him to go to work on so I can have the car while I'm on maternity leave. Yes the idea is that I can either reduce my hours a lot, i.e. to 2 and a half days a week max, or to stop working altogether.
  • mikthe20
    mikthe20 Posts: 84 Forumite
    LittleBit wrote: »
    We don't have a lot of debt to repay at all, at the moment it's only a credit card with £400 owing on it, but we're hoping to buy DH a scooter or small bike for him to go to work on so I can have the car while I'm on maternity leave. Yes the idea is that I can either reduce my hours a lot, i.e. to 2 and a half days a week max, or to stop working altogether.

First of all LittleBit, I just wanted to say good luck with the baby - it's a wonderful thing.

What I do have to say is not a comfortable thing to say but is important - you DO have a lot of debt - you said in your OP that you have a biggish mortgage on interest only. I don't want to spoil the party, but it would IMO be better for you all if you tackled this. You are effectively currently renting the house, but with the option to buy it at some point in the future at the price you agreed, whilst paying rent to live in it (ie. interest). If you are investing money elsewhere to pay the mortgage off then please ignore me, but I get the impression you are ignoring the mortgage repayment. I can understand it - the "rent" (interest payment) leaves your bank account every month and you get used to it and can easily ignore it. But you are paying none of the debt off. Please reconsider how you might start to pay that off. You might have 25 years to pay the mortage off, and that seems a long time, but you can't keep putting that off. Sorry if I'm being a bit over-the-top, but I'm trying to suggest it for the best for you and yours.
  • LittleBit_2
    Hi,

That's ok, I know we need to tackle it. The plan is that we will stay on interest only til the kids are at school, then we'll deal with the mortgage.
    Hopefully the market may have improved by then...

We did actually pay a fair amount off the mortgage from when we first moved in, but when I had DS we had a mortgage break and it added loads of interest on :mad: That's why we're saving this time and not having another break. I've learnt my lesson!
  • LittleBit_2
    edited 18 July 2009 at 5:40PM
    Also, maybe my first post should have said we have a really big mortgage on a pretty big house.

Our house was bought for 185k, and our mortgage is for about £174,500. Which is on interest only at the moment, it costs us £692 a month at the moment just for interest only :eek:
    I occasionally have huge panics about the mortgage, but what we hope to do is start paying it again when the kids are at school. Out term was only 22yrs when we moved in 2 yrs ago, so if we start paying it again in 4 years time, we would only have 16yrs left so I'd imagine our repayments would be huge. However, we would be able to extend our term to take us til I'm 60 which would be 28yrs by the time we start paying again. Obviously we don't want it to take that long, but if we're both working full-time again (or at least more hours for me) then we should be able to overpay.

That is the plan anyway!! But yeah I have majorwobbles about being on an interest only mortgage at the moment, but needs must. My babies come first at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport