Sentinel card protection

Options
I've had a Lloyds TSB Asset Gold card for 3-4 years now. I never spend on it and never use it because with it comes free Sentinel card protection for my Wife and I.

I've been stoozing over the last few months, and currently am maxed out on MBNA, Barclaycard I'm getting there with Sainsbury's.

Clearly I don't want too many cards to my name for the sake of future applications.

Is the Lloyds TSB card worth keeping for Sentinel?

What is the cheapest way of obtaining a Sentinel-type service?

Thanks

Steve
We are QPR, say we are QPR!

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The DIY version is the cheapest.

Write down all your card numbers on a piece of paper with contact numbers for the companies.
    Keep it safe.
    Job done.
  • superhoop
    Options
    LOL!

What do others think - is this type of protection really not worth having?

What about if you're abroad or something?

Thanks

Steve
    We are QPR, say we are QPR!
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    I have approx 8 cards but only ever take 2 out with me (plus a stack of loyalty cards, but that's another matter!! - you can't register these with Sentinel anyway).

If you also only ever carry a couple of credit cards, then write down the contact numbers for these 2 cards in a notebook / diary / scrap of paper and carry that along with you.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    I've had credit cards for over 30 years and I've never had such cover (unless it was free) and have never had need of it. Make a note of the details yourself and save several hundred ££s over your lifetime.
  • chewyjoint
    Options
    My Sentinel comes up for renewal in January and they want to charge me £50 for three years' cover.

I'm debating whether to renew it.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to get it cheaper?
  • Lungman
    Lungman Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds quite steep to me. :o

I renewed earlier this year for 3 years (and it worked out you got the 3rd year virtually free).
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got to be honest I've never used this type of service or seen the need for this type of service.

In the UK I have the details on my PC (encrypted of couse - call me paranoid).  When I'm abroad I keep the contact details with my passport (as you always need to keep these safe.  What I also do is put the CC company contact number in my mobile so the numbers are there also (they will be able to identify the card(s) and card numbers once you give them address details, etc.

cloud_dog
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • booogle
    booogle Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    If I remember rightly, sentinel also provide £200 cover for personal money lost or stolen ouside of your home country and cash advances should you need emergency travel tickets etc. I got it free with a corporate barclaycard so can't complain
  • hello

can anyone help me here..

i signed up for sentinel gold maybe 12 months or more ago, forgot about it really then was offered to go with CPP by barclaycard for protection (im pretty sure they offered me sentinel too!)

anyway dont both do the same thing and as such i dont need to renew sentinel gold (29 quid a year)

can you guys help me before i give away 30 quid i'd rather spend elsewhere :)
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are similar - one is on the individual, the other on everyone at the same address...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure