Are we the only couple who can't afford a holiday?

This time of year always annoys me as its all you hear people talk about I.E going on holiday, so I suppose I just want to know that we are not alone in that we can't afford a holiday:o

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I haven't had a proper holiday in ..... six years, I think. I've stayed with relatives, and a friend, but not what I used to call holidays - airfare/trainfare, plus a hotel, plus travel in the area and meals out, for six years :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've not had a holiday since 1995, never been abroad ... and even though this year I can afford it, I wouldn't enjoy it alone. So be grateful you're a couple.

I don't have debts, it's just that when you're single the cost of living is so high there's nothing left over to waste on luxuries ... when you might need the money a month later to fix a boiler or something.
  • mel19632
    mel19632 Posts: 647 Forumite
    We haven't had a holiday for 5 years either
    Paying down the mortgage:
    At 1 October 2011: £226,000
    Currently: £224,499
    Aim: 85% LTV (£212,500)
    Paid £1,500
    Target remaining: 88.89%
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 21 June 2009 at 9:15AM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I haven't had a proper holiday in ..... six years, I think. I've stayed with relatives, and a friend, but not what I used to call holidays - airfare/trainfare, plus a hotel, plus travel in the area and meals out, for six years :(

Me or the other half have never had a holiday. The ironic thing is that in my youth I was really into foreign culture and travelling, I read books all about various countries and cultures, places to go, things to do and all the rest yet couldn't afford a night in a B&B down the road. I've met people who haven't had a holiday in a few years, but never anyone who hasn't had a holiday either at home or abroad apart from me and the OH, quite a match :)
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We've been on around 6-7 holidays (all self-catering apart from one!) since we got married 22 years ago. Never abroad though. I see people going to Florida Disneyworld regularly and I can't understand how they can do it.

I prefer daytrips in the car. I like getting home to my own bed. I don't feel like i've missed out.
  • my_mess
    my_mess Posts: 282 Forumite
    I haven't had a holiday for 6 years now, and unlikely to for the next 5 at least.

:(
    Aiming to be debt-free, and have my degree, by 50 ! :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Me or the other half have never had a holiday. The ironic thing is that in my youth I was really into foreign culture and travelling, I read books all about various countries and cultures, places to go, things to do and all the rest yet couldn't afford a night in a B&B down the road. I've met people who haven't had a holiday in a few years, but never anyone who hasn't had a holiday either at home or abroad apart from me and the OH, quite a match :)

Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm wondering how old you are? I mean, I'm a "mature" adult :o:o:o:o so what I'm about to suggest wouldn't be for me any more - but you might get a tent and a primus/bluet stove on freecycle, eventually, you could hitch to travel, you could check out free camping - i.e. just camping on common land or fields or whatever. Any relatives you could stay with?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,869
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Up until about 5 years ago my OH and me had never had a holiday..... 15 years, then we found the Sun newspaper hols and started on them for a few years. Last year we bought a caravan due to the dog and went but this year is a no no. The car is of the road and every time I see the caravan sat there I want to cry

I am not sure if it was a good idea to go on holiday, you don't miss what you haven't had
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm wondering how old you are? I mean, I'm a "mature" adult :o:o:o:o so what I'm about to suggest wouldn't be for me any more - but you might get a tent and a primus/bluet stove on freecycle, eventually, you could hitch to travel, you could check out free camping - i.e. just camping on common land or fields or whatever. Any relatives you could stay with?

I'm 30. But there is time left yet, My parents never went anywhere until their 40's. Tried the camping route but she won't stay in a tent:mad: and relations all live local:mad: I often wish I had say a aunt who lived somewhere exotic that we could stay with every summer, nice cheap holiday:D But I suppose at the end of the day we have been scrimping and saving so long it would break my heart to shell out for a holiday anyway, I'd be thinking "Oh that money could buy us a new washing machine or pay the phone bill" It would be great to have enough money not to worry. We probably could afford a week somewhere in the UK but it would just be taking money from bills that need to be paid.
  • PinkTwirl
    PinkTwirl Posts: 589 Forumite
    I've not had a holiday since 1995, never been abroad ... and even though this year I can afford it, I wouldn't enjoy it alone. So be grateful you're a couple.

I don't have debts, it's just that when you're single the cost of living is so high there's nothing left over to waste on luxuries ... when you might need the money a month later to fix a boiler or something.

Yeah exactly, I can't afford it this year plus I'm single. I had someone quizzing me this week as to why I'm not going on holiday. Some people are really thick/nosey aren't they? The cost of living is very high when single, even on a good salary. All it takes is a £500 car service or new washing machine and it's a skint month on top of the mortgage, bills, petrol, food and trying to have a life!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure