MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give up a £50 train seat for a pregnant woman?

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 12 May 2009 at 7:04PM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you give up a £50 train seat for a pregnant woman?

You book an advance seat on a five-hour train journey. It’s a Bank Holiday weekend, and there’s standing room only for non-reserved passengers, including a heavily pregnant woman. Normally you'd be up in a flash, but are loathe to give up your seat, as you paid £50 for it and booked early, knowing it would be crowded.
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    I'd be in 1st class. I wouldn't notice.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No i wouldnt.
    If the woman was up the duff,she should have had the sense to book online,so securing a seat and a seat allocation number. Incidentally,are these enforceable? I mean,if you bought your ticket on line and found someone in your seat who refused to move,what success or otherwise might you have in securing a member of staff to persuade him/her to move?
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Yes I would....only if I could be sure of getting my seat back when she got off
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    As a (not yet heavily but still) pregnant woman, I'd like to thank anyone who would give up their seat ... However I would have made sure that I booked a seat for the journey for myself anyway, so hopefully the dilemma will not arise.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Certainly not.

I wouldn't want to be regarded as sexist and politically incorrect by showing favour.

Besides, we taxpayers are subsidising her pregnancy with state handouts, I'm not giving up a seat as well.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It would depend how charitable I was feeling, however if I was in a reserved seat probably not. If I was in a non-reserved seat I probably would.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Pssst wrote: »
    ...,if you bought your ticket on line and found someone in your seat who refused to move,what success or otherwise might you have in securing a member of staff to persuade him/her to move?

In my experience, the chance of finding a member of staff on a busy bank holiday (other than the buffet attendant) = zero. You hear them making announcements, but can't find them.

Re the pregnant passenger, it's a £10 supplement to travel in first class on Saturdays & Sundays.
    Being disabled but not qualifying for a disabled railcard, that's where I now travel after nasty experiences with supposedly 'booked' seats & pig-selfish passengers.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Yes.

And for a old person or a visibly disabled one (cos I wouldn't know if a non-visibly disabled person got on the train!)

And I have been knocked on my feet on a bus when heavily pregnant. Not one passenger got up to help me. But I would always help someone else (and do).
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    No, she should have booked a seat in advance for herself. I would not stand for five hours for her comfort. She would have saved some money too, which she will need soon if she is heavily pregnant.
  • enor
    enor Posts: 88 Forumite
    I would definitely. Just in case the person next to me offered theirs instead and she went into labour!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure