Is it currently free to list on ebay, and how long for?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

This is correct! Private sellers are now able to list auction-style listings, starting at up to 99p, for free (it used to cost 10p).

You will still have to pay a final value fee of 10.0%
of the winning bid (this went up from 5% a little while ago), up to a max fee of £40.00, and Buy-it-now auctions still have a 40p fee.

See eBays fee chart for full details & for lots more ways to smash fees, read the eBay Selling guide.

I've just logged onto ebay and on the front page it says this

We're free to list

Great News
Auction style items
Starting and 0.99 or less
are now free to list

final value fees apply
terms and conditions apply

but that is all it says!

Does anyone know anymore?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• FloFlo
    FloFlo Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    I had this in an email but was surprised no one on here had mentioned it.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    I thought this started 12th but I knew it was coming. Should be for all PERSONAL sellers, not businesses (unfortunately) Might encourage me to clear some of the rubbish I have been 'saving' for eBay. LOL. I hated the thought of listing it before with so many things available on ebay and having to pay 20p each time.
  • Mumolulu
    Mumolulu Posts: 304
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So when does it end?
    I have loads of stuff to sell and was planning on listing as of next sun 22nd to end 29th.

Will it still be on?
  • zippybungle
    zippybungle Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    I got the impression it will be a permanent thing :confused: There was a full page advert in the Sun Newspaper today about it, and as far as I could see, it didn't have an expiry date. Just that it is free to list auctions which start at 99p for private sellers.:T

Zippy x
    :p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    There is, for now, no length of time. I basically got that it was for now until they decide that it is another hapless cause to get people back selling on eBay.

People have stopped selling on there, businesses have left, fees have gone up, feedback is now ridiculous, people can bid and not pay and a seller cannot leave feedback to that effect. People at eBay and Paypal are losing their jobs and so they are clearly desperate enough to consider Free listings. My fees used to be over £1000 a month plus Paypal - they do not get that from me anymore - and there are more like me!

However, FVF have gone up so beware of this.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 9,999
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    FloFlo wrote: »
    I had this in an email but was surprised no one on here had mentioned it.
    There's been quite a lot on here for the last few weeks. Came in earlier this week.
    Private sellers list up to 99p auction for free. Gallery is also still free.
    This is a permanent policy change.
    The final value fee is now 10%.
  • Mumolulu
    Mumolulu Posts: 304
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cool!
    Thats me selling next week then. :T
  • RFW
    Forumite
    There is, for now, no length of time. I basically got that it was for now until they decide that it is another hapless cause to get people back selling on eBay.

People have stopped selling on there, businesses have left, fees have gone up, feedback is now ridiculous, people can bid and not pay and a seller cannot leave feedback to that effect. People at eBay and Paypal are losing their jobs and so they are clearly desperate enough to consider Free listings. My fees used to be over £1000 a month plus Paypal - they do not get that from me anymore - and there are more like me!

However, FVF have gone up so beware of this.

Certainly some sellers have stopped as have some buyers, there's still a lot of sellers (myself included) who have either had an increase in sales or no overall change.
    Several larger companies are now regular sellers on EBay (Argos for one) and overall sales figures are still quite healthy. I don't see it as desperation merely a good marketing exercise in credit crunch times.
    If there's stuff to buy there will always be buyers on Ebay which is sadly more than can be said for some other auction sites.
  • Free to list, a million squid to sell.
  • RFW
    Forumite
    Free to list, a million squid to sell.

Or more accurately 10% and Paypal fees, so generally under 15%.

As a piece of advice try and list items that have value above 99p, the lower the item sells for the more impact the Paypal fees have.

Check completed listings and see which items attract the most interest, higher interest items are more likely to get higher bids. Also consider listing a few similar items together rather than have lots of separate listings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure