Child Trust Funds discussion area

Options
This discussion relates to the Child Trust Funds article.

Click reply to ask a question or discuss.
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good article. A couple of points:
    Shareholder account? - don't you mean Stakeholder account.

You also say that for children already born if an account hasn't been opened by April 2006 the Government will open a Stakeholder account. I thought I read somewhere that the vouchers will have an expiry date printed on them, which will be 12 months from the date of issue, so those who get their vouchers in January only have until January 2006 to open an account.

I'll finish with a question, will you be able to open an account as soon as you have your voucher. Obviously no money would go into the account until April 5th, but I thought it would be better that accounts were open ready for the money, rather than a couple of million parents queing up on April 5th?
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, found the answer to my last question on the CTF website.
    Although Government money will not go into accounts until April 2005 - and it will not be possible to save your own money in CTF accounts until then - it is a good idea to open the account early. That way, everything will be ready for money to go into the account quickly in April 2005.
     So it appears you can set up the account before April (as long as you have your voucher).

I found where I read the second bit.  In the Inland Revenue commentary on the regulations (yeah, I know too much time on my hands obviously!) it states
    For children in the transitional group (those born on or after 1 September 2002 and before the launch date in April 2005) vouchers will be issued earlier - from January 2005 onwards. So, for example, if their voucher is issued in February 2005 it will expire in February 2006.
    For a miunte there I was thinking I was dreaming it!
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i feel as if i am swimming through a sea of treacle trying to find out any definitive information for accounts that will be available.

for example Fidelity Investments are one of the few major players ( i don't count banks because i don't trust em !) who have said that they will be offering a CTF product - but i have been unable so far to get any details from Fidelity as so what their product will be. (the same goes for Norwich Onion).

Is anyone else struggling the same way ?

MTC
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry about my typo on shareholder - will change the article. As for different accounts, i'd simply hold off until april - there is no point until you can see who is going to offer what

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • NewDaddy_2
    Options
    Saving for my children in tax free account and with a initial start up gift from the Government is great - but many things can happen between now and 18 years time - how transferable is the money in the account? We are planning on emigrating to Canada in a few years - will the account still be accessible, or will we lose the lot? Anybody know? :o
  • quirkes
    Options
    My brother and his wife have just discovered they are expecting triplets. It came as a great shock, but at least (I quipped) they'll get three lots of Child Trust Funds. Not so, evidently. They've been told that you only get one fund per birth, not per child. Can anyone confirm whether is is true and, if so, how they decide which triplet gets it! This seem very unfair as they will need more help than most. :(
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    triplets - ouch

congratulations

i wish you lots and lots of luck and of course best wishes.

can i suggest that you keep checking the family forum , there is a lot of good help and advice being posted on a regular basis.

MTC
  • HB
    HB Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Great article. Thanks. A couple of possibly dumb questions:
    • How many of these CTFs can you open per child?
    • If you open up a CTF in a shares account category, then can you when you feel it appropriate, change it to a savings account (without incurring charges? And if you are going to incur charges, do you know what these charges would be?)

Thanks....
    HB
  • small
    small Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    I have a quick question.

I have 2 kids - one born in October this year and one born in July 2002. The eldest misses out the CTF.

My question is - How much would I put into an account now to match what he would have had now if CTF were running?

I think I need to do something now to ensure that both of them have something behind them.

I (and hopefully the grandparents) will be making regular once the his and the CTF accounts are up and running.
  • small
    small Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply MLC. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business