Utilita no longer providing Gas and Electricity supplies (merged)

Options
I received a letter from Utilita about a week ago stating they were levying a one off £40 added to my DD payment this month, due to the high cost of providing Gas and Electricity.

Now, this morning i get a letter saying that they are transfering our account to EFD energy because they "cannot continue to supporting our gas and electricity supplies". they also refer to there being at this time an "enegy crisis"

Anyone know what is going on and any suggestions as what to do.
I am a fee charging WoM Mortgage broker.
I now no longer give information and opinion within the Mortgage boards, because a number of posters who, having approached me professionally, agreed my fee-which has been been made very clear at the outset, taken my advice (normally cancelling a [home visit] meeting at short notice) have then approached one of the fee-free brokers on here to arrange the very same deal I have advised.
Whilst I totally concur with the ethos of "money saving"- abusing the goodwill of a professional who provides a quality service is taking it too far! :mad:

Comments

• theplumber
    Options
    I have just discovered the same letter from Utilita. This £40 seems rather arbitrary and as a small user I feel I will be asked to subsidise the larger consumers. This represents almost 2 months payment penalty.

I wonder if they can legally impose such a retrospective charge ? Strange not to have seen an avalanche of protest and complaint about it.
    Charles J
  • SRD
    SRD Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I just recevied an email from EDF saying that they were welcoming me as a customer - no explanation of any problems with Utilita, so I replied to them that if they could notgive me a good reason for this in 24 hrs I would report them to the regulator for misselling. I also had the £40 letter from utilita. Looks like the best bet is to cancel the direct debit then settle the bill based on what last published their rates were and contest the £40 charge. I guess we will loose our credits with utilita for efficient bulbs etc.
    Britain's Best Money Saver
  • stanmoresaver
    Options
    I was thinking very much along those lines, I have just paid my DD payment for December so I will cancel it and do a meter reading.

I have just done a "guesstemate" utilities pricecheck to compare the new company and it would seem their prices are ok but can be beaten. Is there any feedback on their service?
    I now no longer give information and opinion within the Mortgage boards, because a number of posters who, having approached me professionally, agreed my fee-which has been been made very clear at the outset, taken my advice (normally cancelling a [home visit] meeting at short notice) have then approached one of the fee-free brokers on here to arrange the very same deal I have advised.
    Whilst I totally concur with the ethos of "money saving"- abusing the goodwill of a professional who provides a quality service is taking it too far! :mad:
  • Lycz
    Options
    This is the wording of the email:
    "By now you should have received a letter from us explaining the transfer of your electricity and gas supply from Utilita to EDF Energy.
    We are currently in the process of setting up your electricity and gas accounts with EDF Energy and would like to try and ensure that your first bill is accurate. I would therefore, be grateful if you could reply to us via email with your current electricity and gas meter readings by no later than 14th December. Please reply using the email address above.
    If you are not sure how to read your meter you can visit our website. http://www.edfenergy.com/meterreading
    Please call us on 0800 085 6151* if you have any further queries.

Important Information

The reading we use to open your account will be the same reading that Utilita use to close your account and send you their final bill.

We will make your transfer as easy as possible and I am sure that you will be delighted with the service you receive from EDF Energy. I look forward to welcoming you as an EDF Energy customer soon."

So get your meters read and cancel DDs with Utilita. I'm hoping that my closing bill is not in credit as I wonder if we will see our money returned never mind our free light bulbs ! Moral of the story - stick with the big boys they are less likely to go bankrupt
  • Pinkflo
    Options
    theplumber wrote:
    I have just discovered the same letter from Utilita. This £40 seems rather arbitrary and as a small user I feel I will be asked to subsidise the larger consumers. This represents almost 2 months payment penalty.

I wonder if they can legally impose such a retrospective charge ? Strange not to have seen an avalanche of protest and complaint about it.

I certainly didn't think of protesting when I first got the letter - thought it jolly sensible way to deal with rising prises rather than get a whopping great rise in the direct debit at the annual review. Now I'm a bit cross - got my bye-bye Utilia & EDF welcome letters today!!

Utilita must have know they were to withdraw from the market when they decided upon levying the one-off £40 charge - this smacks of a last ditch effort to recover some of their losses...not very ethical from a company who were providing a "greener" service. I too am going to contact my bank to see if there's any way to stop the direct debit.
  • newnhak
    newnhak Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got the email today too - before the letter although I have already had the one about the extra £40 charge.

I have just fished out all my old letters from Utilita. I have been a customer since February on the GET80 plan and was therefore due a 10% discount soon as part of their credit Guarantee Level (note the word guarantee).

I am not sure what to do now - guess I won't be getting the guaranteed 10% discount. I have not had the extra £40 taken out of my account yet - that is due later this month. If I cancel my DD can they do anything about it? I thought it might be better just to cancel it and then settle up when the final bill arrives. That way they can't take any extra money without me knowing about it.

It's a pity because up until now Utilita have been very helpful and upfront with me.

Also does anyone know what happens regarding contract with the new supplier. The email doesn't cover that at all - does the letter mention it?

Karen
  • stanmoresaver
    Options
    newnhak wrote:
    If I cancel my DD can they do anything about it? I thought it might be better just to cancel it and then settle up when the final bill arrives. That way they can't take any extra money without me knowing about it.

I think this is the way to do it They will probably rely on consumer apathy.

I certainly will only pay the £40 surcharge if trapped into a corner where any further action will affect my credit rating. It's the classic "principle" case. I would urge all MSE'ers to do the same.

Pay what you owe, play by the rules but refuse to pay a surcharge levied two weeks before they decide to pull out of a market!!!!!
  • theplumber
    Options
    I have sent an email to the regulator @ enquiries@energywatch.org.uk to ask
    if Utilita lawfully apply such a charge and am I obliged to pay.
    Charles J
  • newnhak
    newnhak Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ThePlumber - let us know what you find out.

Thanks

Karen
  • stanmoresaver
    Options
    Seconded!!

I have left my letter in my office and will check out the "smal print" tommorow. It may well be a case that they can legally apply it but wouldn't like any bad publicity attached..

I'll post my feelings tommorrow when i have read it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure