show us your scrapbooks

Options
hi, (i dont no if there is already a thread for this, so i will apologise if there is in advance :p and feel free to move me.) i have recently been inspired by a certain persons;) scrapbook and im going to be making some for my children for christmas as a keepsakes, i would love to see more scrapbooks and hear any tips and advice on making them. i took a trip to my local craft shop today and was totally overwhelmed:eek: by all the scrapbooking stuff they had, there was so much i didnt no where to start:confused: so came away with very little :( am really hoping for some help. looking forward to your replies x:D
One day I will live in a cabin in the woods

Comments

• RustyFlange
    Options
    Hi betterlife, I did a scrapbook for OH for fathers day. Big 12x12 one and left plenty of pages at the back so I can do a couple more for xmas then birthday then fathersday etc. I can also add pages to it aswell. I will take some pics tomorrow when OH is at work :)
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • pinkladymel
    Options
    Hiya Betterlife :)

A good place to start might be to setup a fun interview with the children asking them 10 questions ie. What is your favourite food and why? or What is the best thing that ever happened to you. You could then turn their answers into a story. By doing this you will have created a funny scrapbook and a record of the person they was at that age.

I would suggest picking a colour scheme and then shopping for embellishments and paper based on that. At least it kind of narrows it down a bit.

You can use an old childrens board book and cover that or you could get a nice scrapbook and make pages to pop in. If you are feeling overwhelmed you could even just make a photobook at photobox.com and then embellish it when it comes?

I actually love a lot of the things in Poundland. They have scrapbooks too. Remember to keep everything acid and ligning free else over time they will burn into your photographs and go yellow.

Most of all.. just have fun. This is about you. When the kids get older you want them to see a piece of you in that book and treasure it, not something that you pained over to get looking good.

When I don't know where to start a good magazine such as Scrapbook Inspirations helps and then printing off some photographs. My photo's always inspire the work.

Here are a few pieces I did about the kids:
    Our_Angels.jpg
    Snow_Angel3.jpg
    True_Love2.jpg
    :xmastree:Self Certified Christmas Addict:xmastree:
  • scattymam1
    Options
    Scrapbook inspirations is great and there is also ukscrappers.co.uk which is free and you can see hundreds of layouts on there if you register.

Pinkladymel you are fantastic.

I'm going to a crop on sat- can't wait- childless day and scrapping 10-4.
  • melissa75_2
    Options
    Hi betterlife, like you I am new to scrapbooking. I make cards and so far have only made one scrapbook - it was a little mini book kit. For me that was the best way to start as you get the scrapbook itself and then matching papers and stickers. I got mine off ebay I think (where I get a lot of scrapbook stuff from).
    I want to make a big scrapbook of pics of my kids and I am planning on making one for my Mum for xmas. I am also thinking of doing some more little ones for other family members for xmas.
    There is so much lovely stuff out there that I find it really hard choosing stuff - I want all of it. What I like about scrapbooking is that you can use bits and bobs lying around the house to decorate them - buttons, ribbons etc.
    Like pinkladymel said its a good idea to go with a colour theme. My Mum's scrapbook is going to be burgundy, so I have been busy buying matching ribbons, flowers and buttons, (and of course in other colours too so that I can build up a collection).
  • scattymam1
    Options
    blyth_074compress.jpgjust wanted to see if this would work - one of my latest layouts.
  • scattymam1
    Options
    my camera is bust at the moment so I can't upload my mini-albums for you but this one was on my ukscrappers page.
  • betterlife
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice, pinkladymel your scrapbook pirate princess was my inspiration, i was wondering whats the best glue/tape for putting paper/ribbon/borders etc on paper flat stuff. x
  • betterlife
    Options
    that looks really good scattymam1, pretty but mascaline at the same time.x
  • melissa75_2
    Options
    Lovely page scattymam1, I was wondering whether flowers would work on my son's scrapbook, but yours look great.
    Betterlife, I use double sided tape for fiuxing papers, and then either glue dots or pva glue for fixing the embellishments on. (I hope this is right).
  • pinkladymel
    Options
    Scattymam I love your page it is wonderful. I am pinkladymel on UKS :D

Just remember that if you want your books to last 100+ years you need to make sure everything is acid free. That includes your glue. Pritt stick do a whole range now of acid free photo-safe adhesives. My personal choice is the dovecraft tape runner. I have tried all the expensive ones and this is my favourite. It is so quick and easy to use. I also LOVE double sided tape and often by a big bulk of it off ebay. It is really strong for holding heavy embellishments etc but I dont use it for all the mounting etc as peeling the backing off makes my fingers so sore. Lastly, I also have Diamond Glaze. It is like a clear liquid that you can use to create a glossy finish on things. It is excellent if you are making something see through so that it doesnt show so much or for making something glossy.

HTH

Geesh I waffle
    :xmastree:Self Certified Christmas Addict:xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills