Spamming Scam - from Sainsburys :spam: (MERGED THREADS)

Options
Or Rather NOT from Sainsburys :spam:

Hi All

Just a warning for UK members of a Bogus email doing the rounds - which to me sounds like it is harvesting e-mail addresses to create a database for spamming purposes:

UPDATE 12 Oct 2005

We have been made aware of an e-mail which looks like it originates from Sainsbury's offering customers £60 if they forward an e-mail to ten friends. This e-mail does not originate from Sainsbury's, and we are not running such a promotion. We are currently following this matter up with those responsible for the original e-mails.

From the 1st page of Sainsbury's website.

I have had 2 people forward it to me, along with ten others and the no doubt bogus Sainsbury email address, so am now doubtless on a spammers list .

Really annoyed as I have been 100% spam free on my main e-mail address as I give it to very, very few people.

Heads up folks and delete this if you get it and be equally suspicious of anything similar you may get in the future.

happy computing :spam:
Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
Do little and often
Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:

Comments

• Caro75
    Caro75 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    I've just got the email!!!
    "Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing."
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moving a bit down-market - has been doing the rounds for years 'from' M$oft or Coca Cola...
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Or Rather NOT from Sainsburys :spam:

I have had 2 people forward it to me, along with ten others and the no doubt bogus Sainsbury email address, so am now doubtless on a spammers list .

Really annoyed as I have been 100% spam free on my main e-mail address as I give it to very, very few people.

happy computing :spam:

Snap - I got this earlier today and am so cross. By the time you get one, it's too late. Just hope lots of people see your warning judderman62.
  • LindaM_4
    Options
    I received an e mail today offering a £60 Sainsbury Voucher by copying an email to 10 people and copying in J.sainsburys@customerservices.com, I guess it is probably a scam but anyone know differently ? :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems to be a scam have a look here

I will move this thread over to the rip off and warning board so these threads can be merged :)
  • Weymouth_Man
    Options
    Some of you may have recently received an email inviting you to send an email to 10 people and copying in J.sainsburys@customerservices.com to get a £60 voucher.

This is a hoax email in no way affiliated with Sainsbury's so please DO NOT forward it on to anyone else.

By forwarding this email you are supplying a list of live email addresses to a SPAM company.

If you would like more detailed information on this hoax please visit http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/69613.html

It's Getting Around Fast :mad:

Hope this helps :beer:
    ;)!!!!!!There are More Questions Than Answers!!!!!!:eek:
    :search: But I Just Don't Have Any Answers :idea:
  • edda
    First Post
    Options
    This seems to be gathering momentum - I've found 4 posting threads in the last 15 minutes on the site
  • zag2me
    zag2me Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cant beleave people are still falling for chain emails in 2005 :)

Look at the domain, its not the company.
    Save save save!!
  • jeppy
    jeppy Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    has it got a virus attached? If I open the email will I activate the virus?
    ACII and Chartered so now I can focus on learning to play my beautiful Sax. 🎷
  • edda
    First Post
    Options
    jeppy wrote:
    has it got a virus attached? If I open the email will I activate the virus?

The one I saw didn't have any attachments and the anti-virus software didn't detect anything untoward (but I would never say it definitely had no virus in - just in case!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure