Waste Carriers License - fines?

Options
My boyfriend just called me not in a happy mood. Can someone please explain the below to me?

He works as a Self-Employed joiner and had just been to a roadside cafe for a bacon sandwich which he ate in his van. He got out, put his rubbish in the bin and was stopped by someone in a luminous jacket and told he was disposing of commercial waste and that he could be fined. He was then asked to produce a waste carriers license. He and his brother have been in the business for over 20 years and neither have ever heard of this.
Can someone please explain it to me, all of the waste is transported back to the workshop and put in a skip there, why does he need to pay for that?
Also, fining someone for putting their rubbish in the bin - surely not?!

And what are the consequences now of him not having one? Obviously if needed I'll sort it out asap but what fines could he get?

Many thanks.
odi et amo

Comments

• susan070571
    susan070571 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Think someone may be trying it on here, although you do have to pay to get rid of commercial waste, the wrapping off a bacon sarnie are not commercial waste, who ever they are the onus is going to on them to prove that he has put commercial waste in the bin.

susan
  • Lizalu
    Lizalu Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I know it's stupid - her argument was that because he was eating it in his van on his way to a job, it's commercial waste. She threatened him with a £300 fine! She gave him 14 days to produce a license, but he drove off before he heard any more - not the most sensible thing to do I know, but he was pretty irate.
    odi et amo
  • flower7
    flower7 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a look at the environment agency website to check you don't need a license there are lots of new laws that started from april 2008.

-The Bacon sandwich rubbish - as long as that was the only thing he put in the bin he has done nothing wrong.

-I can only assume the man thought your boyfriend was taking the waste in his van to the tip or waste disposal site in which case you do need a license.

-If he only takes the waste to his workshop and then puts it in the skip technically he does not need a license.

- You can get an exemption certificate for free, you might want to check this out so he is certain he is not doing anything wrong under the new rules. He does not want to be driving with waste in future and maybe face a fine.

-If he removes the skip himself and takes it to the tip/dump he needs a license.

-If he doesn't empty/remove the skip himself but another company does they need a license not him.

I hope that helps a little.
  • Lizalu
    Lizalu Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant - that's great!
    In which case he doesn't need a license as he takes all waste back to the workshop, and the skip is removed weekly. His brother (who owns the workshop) might need one but my boyfriend doesn't.

Thank you so very much for that information, I will double check it all but you've madde hm very happy - it's his birthday today and not going well so far!
    odi et amo
  • flower7
    flower7 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Happy Birthday to him hope he has a good afternoon.

His brother might want/need to get one then he's covered, the license lasts for three years.
  • matthewbray
    Options
    Hi,

Your boyfriend WILL need to apply for a carrier's license, even under the new regulations as Construction or Demolition watse is NOT exempt under any circumstances.

Currently at £152.00.

Max Fine £50,000 or 5 Years Inprisonment.

Also may need to complete transfer slips, please check.

Hope this helps.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mathewbray is right... anyone who is carrying waste from a to b needs a license..

anything is classed as 'waste' if it is 'unwanted'

so builders, carpenters, plummers, gardeners, house clearance etc def do need a carriers license. plus they need a paper chain of where your wasted is then disposed of.

ok the packaging thing is extremely ott, BUT they are right about the license
    Work to live= not live to work
  • arfurrrr
    arfurrrr Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    my mate has been stopped by environment officer in leeds they told him he needs a licence for swopping an electric shower for the customer . they told him "the broken shower becomes his property and he is responsible for it" . he said it belongs to the customers as its their shower not his and he leaves it with them , they then said he needs a signed letter from the customer to say that they will dispose of it correctly ?

have you heard of any such rubbish ?
    Arf :think:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    arfurrrr wrote: »
    my mate has been stopped by environment officer in leeds they told him he needs a licence for swopping an electric shower for the customer . they told him "the broken shower becomes his property and he is responsible for it" . he said it belongs to the customers as its their shower not his and he leaves it with them , they then said he needs a signed letter from the customer to say that they will dispose of it correctly ?

have you heard of any such rubbish ?

the letter will then act as a waste transfer note...

which needs to be done every time you take an unwanted item away from a house/site etc... this means you have taken responsibility for that waste...

every commecial business/person needs to do this, and have a waste carriers licence...

they are really cracking down on this...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2010 at 9:27PM
    Options
    a bacon sandwich wrapper?..if you are sure this is all it was then this is daft , this is a bit of a jobsworth and in this case and I do sympathize.
    If it was more than this then tough
    Most companies have this licence as the norm and have skips on their office site to dispose of bits and pieces.
    The law is really tightening up on tracing waste and in my opinion it is about time. Companies who work within the rules and dispose of waste to a 'Green recycling' waste disposal site have been overlooked in the past due to increased costs for tipping.The fly by night companies are now getting their butts burned if they cannot produce a record of where waste has been disposed deserve all they get.
    PS if he is a sub contractor and returns all waste to the contractor he should be covered or at least looked into this before contracting his services?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure