We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does your home have a smoke detector?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MY eldest son isnt tall enough yet, I have to use a stool to stand on ;D ;D ;D

;)
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,870 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    my smoke alarms are linked to the electric
    do I still have to test them ???

we have always had an escape plan set up, which we have changed as the kids got older, and we have always known which of us would be in charge of helping which child, that applies to any emergency anywhere

trouble is if our smoke alarm does go off someone just shouts 'mums cooking again'
    dont let that put you off the cakes Judi ;D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad, as your detector is linked to the mains electrickery ;) you won't have a battery to test.

However, you might want to test the detector function. A simple way to test it is to burn some toast and move your toaster towards the detector. The burned toast should trigger the alarm to go off. Now.......don't go burning your hands will you? I'm trying to promote safety, I don't want anyone to be injured ::).

I've stayed in some hotels which tell you not to leave the bathroom door open as the steam could set of the smoke detector.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Glad
    Options
    they definitely work then

every day at teatime ;)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to agree with Nile. PLEASE get smoke detectors in NOW.
    I have 1 in hall downstairs, 1 upstairs, 1 in each bedroom, 1 in study and 1 in living room. Also carbon minoxide thingy in living room. Perhaps a bit over the top.
    I was spurred on by seeing on the news 3 separate fires in my area in 1 week. In one 3 young children died.
    Very sad and the firebrigade said it could have been avioded had alarms been fitted.
  • flossie_2
    flossie_2 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    We recently had an incident involving a saucepan, a ceramic hob and about one hour .. need I say more? We were sat in the lounge and heard this terrifying alarm - seconds passed before we realised what it was. When we opened the kitchen door it was full of black smoke (no flames fortunately). Within seconds every alarm in the house was going off (we have one in every room). Yes, every room, except the kitchen. Well, here's the rub .. there is one in the kitchen but I removed the battery because of the toaster setting it off. :-[ I can tell you, the battery went back in faster than a rat up a drainpipe. It sets off every breakfast time, but I don't care - it's meant for kitchen so it can be switched off easily and resets itself. If I hadn't been so stupid I could have saved hours of work cleaning up, but it could obviously have been so much worse. Upshot is, the cleaning didn't work - now whole kitchen is being decorating and refitted as well as the dining room, including carpet being replaced. The place just stinks!!

So please please please - get yourself sorted if you haven't got smoke detectors. Our local neighbourhood watch fits them free for anyone who can't afford or fit them themselves.

Do it now ...
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheel - they'll all shout at you - take the one out of the cupboard outta the pack NOW

check the battery

if it's working leave it somewhere prominent - it'll still work until it's fitted

no more posts until you've done it - I nearly got banned for not having one - martin will be cross with you and you don't want that

and as for nile - OMG don't get on the wrong side of nile!!
    Blah
  • Glad
    Options
    DO IT NOW
  • flossie_2
    flossie_2 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Sheel we are ALL shouting at you. I'm sure you could think of some appliance to pinch a battery from, just for a short while ;););) ;D
  • Glad
    Options
    Sheel we are ALL shouting at you.  I'm sure you could think of some appliance to pinch a battery from, just for a short while  ;) ;);) ;D

:o:o:o:o:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport