PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking Oil on Clothes

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Sunshine78 wrote:
    Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have any tips for removing oil from clothes?
    Don't know what to do, just wash it and hope for the best, or cold rinse or anything etc first!
    All help appreciated!
    TIA!

Sunshine :)
    Hiya :)

If it's motor oil then a dry cleaning spot remover is a good way to go, but if it's cooking oil, try gently rubbing in some talcum powder and then rinsing in cold water before washing as usual.

If that doesn't solve your problem, put the garment in to soak without drying first (because that might bake the stain in) and we'll see if there are other ways to help.

What sort of clothing/material is it?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Hiya,

Its oil like a motor oil I think lovely and thick black goo basically lol
    Material is polyester, have no idea if this is going to be a good thing or not lol
    Thanks for your reply :)
    I was ere, ere I was
    Was I ere, yes I was :D

:rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:

Decided to join you all again, I was last here regularly in 2007 :eek:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You're welcome. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    scrub swarfega over the oil stain then pour some neat washing up liquid on to try to disperse the oil

got any vanish gel (or similar)? I use it on food or face cream stains on clothes.
    but your stain sounds pretty heavy duty and might need the big guns.
    I presume you can't hot wash polyester, and it would probably fix the stain.
    I'd be tempted to try 40 degree wash 1st.
    good luck !
  • try eucalyptus oil (from chemist) remember to test on small discreet sample of material first.
    eucalyptus oil also great for grass stains.

"stardrops" cleaning fluid also helps ( c.60p in asda).
    stardrops is also a very economical general purpose cleaner.
    why is there only one monopolies commission?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Would rubbing cat litter in it help? I know people say that gets oil stains off driveways ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Hi,

I've got a problem (well I have several, but this is the most pressing!).

I got olive oil on a pair of heavy cotton trousers and put them in the wash - but there is still a stain. :eek:

Can anyone help me get rid of it please????

thank you x
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I found that Surf did a good job when my youngest sat in ketchup and the stain had dried in.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    I've found rubbing neat washing up liquid onto a greasy stain and then washing as normal has got rid of stain. I also use oxyclean - not very OS but find it useful at times.
  • i'll second misty, put neat washing up liquid on stain, both sides, then wash as normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure