PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking oil on carpet!

Options
Anyone know a good way of getting a rather large olive oil stain out of a carpet?

Haven't tried anything yet and unfortunately it's in the middle of the room so covering it up with furniture isn't really an option!!

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lots of kitchen towel to blot the excess oil up first

then salt on the stain and brush it after its soaked up last of oil

then disolve some washing soda in hot water and dab it on going from the outside in so the stain doesnt spread

if that still leaves some marks spray fly spray on the stain holding the can about 4 inches away from the stain

then rub off

should work

good luck
  • MattieT
    Options
    Great, thanks Cathy, I'll give it a try and let you know!

I'm am a little dissappointed that I don't get to use any vinegar :):)
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that was going to be the next step

but I wasnt sure if you had your vinegar licence through yet
    it can be lethal stuff if your a probationer and are not fully trained up ;)
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    How did it go -- would it be any use putting kitchen tissue over it and then warming that with an iron to hopefully osak it into the tissue?
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    don't know bout olive oil, but that works fab with candle wax.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Oh well- at least it'll work on something!
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

we're looking to move out of our flat in the next month or so and have just noticed a patch on our light brown carpet which OH confirms is cooking oil!!:eek:

I think my mum's got one of those super steam cleaner things but was wondering if there's any OS style tips people have to get it out before I bother her...even though I'm 27 I still worry what Mummy will say!!!!!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Washing up liquid is pretty good with oil. So is stardrops if you have any. Your biggest problem will be that you finish up with a clean patch that shows up the rest of the carpet! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Hehe!

Thankfully we've only been here 6 months and are usually really tidy so hopefully shouldn't show us up too much! Do you think shower gel will work? I don't have any Stardrops or washing up liquid at the moment...
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Erm... dunno miss, but I'd be inclined to try it myself. Is there's a corner you could just do a colourfast test on somewhere...?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport