PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking oil on carpet!

Options

Comments

• Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used this technique with clothes and it works, but have never tried a carpet - try putting talc on it, leave it for about half an hour then give it a bit of a rub. The powder will absorb the oil then it can just be vacuumed up and will leave a nice smell. You'll probably have to put quite a lot on - if you just use a bit it will mix with the oil like a paste, but a lot should manage to absorb it (try just a small area first to be sure).

With clothes that have oil on, I have put grease proof paper over the stain and used a warm iron. If you are going to try that with the carpet, make sure it is a large piece of paper so the iron doesn't touch the carpet itself.
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've also used talc with olive oil and it works.
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Cool! I'll give the talc one a try first then any residue I'll try the washing up liquid one when I can get some. Thanks!!
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Damn!

You won't believe it but we had to take up and throw out a carpet only last night because of a huge oil spill. I SOOOO wish i'd read this thread then.....
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    really not sure this is the right place, and its my first question here so a little nervous.

I have spilt Olive oil on my carpet, has any one got any idea how to get rid of the stain?

thank you

Buffy

xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    it depends how long you have had the stain, I usually sprinkle salt on and let it soak up as much of the oil as possible then hoover it up - you could try using a dilution of stardrops but test the carpet for colour fastness first -
    somewhere it will not show if the carpet is not colour fast! Or hair shampoo at a push !
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    get some kitchen towel/paper and place it over the oil and stand on it to get the worst of the oil out, keep using clean paper and standing on it untill the paper comes away clean, so what you will be left with now is a greasy stain and the only thing to shift that will be hot and very soapy water, i would squirt neat washing up liquid on the stain and rub in with fingers then keep scrubbing with hot water, once you think its all come out grab an old towel and keep standing on the spot with the towel to get the moisture out.
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, there :beer: We have an older thread on this subject, so I've added your question so that you can browse all the ideas.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • softuk
    softuk Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cooking oil - olive oil, sunflower oil etc, are all natural products - ie biological! Therefore the best way to get rid of it is to use a biological washing liquid.
    Dilute it it with water, and first of all try it on a small hidden area first to check the carpet is colour fast. It should emulsify the stain, theat is make it go milky. Then mop up as much as you can with kitchen paper starting from the outside and worling inwards. Next por some luke warm water onto the stain, and again blot with kitchen paper. You may have to do this several times, and probably may also need to shampoo the whole carpet to get rid of any ring.
  • Jo77
    Jo77 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

My 6 months old nice cream carpet has had cooking oil spilt on it (by my friend who is staying).

Have tried washing with fairy, sprinking with Bicarb of soda and oil still there. I dont think I have helped by spreading the oil stain further...aghh.

Is right in the hall so cant be covered with a rug..

Any advice what else to try? Stardrops? White Spirit?

If it doesnt come out , think I will have to ask my friend to pay for professional clean..

Thanks

Jo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family