The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged)

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
edited 15 November 2017 at 9:50AM in Freebies (no spend required)
Update November 2017

Well, this Great Hunt has been going over 10 years now. It means early comments and links may now be out of date but if you click to the last few pages forumites are still adding courses they've spotted. If you've seen one join the Forum and add it to the list.

----

The internet is a mine of free information and can be especially useful when wanting to learn a new skill. So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers pool of knowledge to find out free online courses. Whether it's a language you want to learn, PC skills or something random like juggling share your gems of info!

What to post

We need to know a bit about the course and please include a hyperlink to where it can be found.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• GeDink
    GeDink Posts: 137 Forumite
    I know Vision2learn runs free online courses in various qualifications.

Here's the blurb:

The only website where you can learn new stuff, gain skills, study for fun and achieve a national qualification online for FREE!

Become a learner
    If you haven’t already discovered vision2learn take a look at our range of practical, flexible, FREE online courses.

Courses lead to UK-recognised qualifications
    E-learning from the comfort of home or work
    Receive expert help from a college tutor online
    No classes to attend – it’s all online
    Freedom to learn at your own pace, in your own time

Here's the link:

http://www.vision2learn.com/

I have a feeling it's only for people that live in England but I may be wrong!

Hope this helps someone :o
  • anji1979
    anji1979 Posts: 131 Forumite
    GeDink wrote:
    I know Vision2learn runs free online courses in various qualifications.

Here's the blurb:

The only website where you can learn new stuff, gain skills, study for fun and achieve a national qualification online for FREE!

Become a learner
    If you haven’t already discovered vision2learn take a look at our range of practical, flexible, FREE online courses.

Courses lead to UK-recognised qualifications
    E-learning from the comfort of home or work
    Receive expert help from a college tutor online
    No classes to attend – it’s all online
    Freedom to learn at your own pace, in your own time

Here's the link:

http://www.vision2learn.com/

I have a feeling it's only for people that live in England but I may be wrong!

Hope this helps someone :o

Just to add a comment on vision2learn. Your tutor is based at a college which may not be in your home town, so if your course is one which has an exam at the end of it then you may have to travel to that college to sit the exam.

I did an IT course with them a few years back and had to travel to the college which was 30 miles away. I dont know if this is still the case but I thought is was worth pointing out as some people may not have the means to travel.
    :A
  • I have just completed a vision2learn first steps in IT course. I didn't have to attend college at all, college was listed as Bristol which is about 70 miles away from me. You receive a certificate at the end of the course once you have passed all your online assessments. I would highly recommend this course and once it is completed you can then study for the more advanced level.
  • FYI Greasypalm give £3.75 for signing up with Vision2Learn http://www.greasypalm.co.uk/goto.php?retailer=752
  • well theres nothing available in my area lol
  • smog_2
    smog_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    I use about.com's spanish resources as an aside to the taught course I'm doing.
    They've got online resorces for languages, arts, history and sciences.

http://www.about.com/education/

:T
  • batvink
    batvink Posts: 129 Forumite
    I did a Vision2Learn course, about 100 hours of work, loads of assignments. It was very thorough, not simply a case of getting a certificate for nothing. Well worth it, I learnt lots, reinforced what I already knew and got a nationally recognised certificate in the process.
    Thanks in advance,

Steve V
  • BT have a learning zone, its not exaclty free but you can enrol on unlimited courses from £2pm http://new.btlearningcentre.com/info/ :j
    "Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering"
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108
    Forumite
    One for web developers ...

10-Week (Actually 13-week now) Free AJAX Programming (with Passion!) Online Course by Sang Shin of Sun

http://www.javapassion.com/ajaxcodecamp/
  • jeppy
    jeppy Posts: 3,428
    Forumite
    vision2learn is great, i have done first steps in IT and webdesign entrepreneur, at the moment I am studying further steps in it.

it is all done through the internet, you are assigned a tutor and all mine have been extremely helpful.
    ACII and Chartered so now I can focus on learning to play my beautiful Sax. 🎷
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure