MSE News: British Airways cabin crew to strike this month

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Airline staff will walk out for three days from 20 March and for four days from 27 March ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• jcorbygas
    jcorbygas Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well now I still dont know whether we will be going away or not, as we are due to fly midday on 31st March and dont know whether flights will still be recovering from the disruption of the previous day.
    I feel so sorry for the others like me who have saved up to go away and have their travel plans in limbo at the moment.
    Lets hope that the staff consider BA's new proposals carefully and decide to go against the Union and not strike.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    Is it just me, or do BA ALWAYS have a strike in the pipeline. It's a wonder anybody flies with them at all, ever.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    ...Lets hope that the staff consider BA's new proposals carefully and decide to go against the Union and not strike.

From BBC News...
    "The union said it will also ballot its members on a new offer from BA but said it could not recommend it.

But BA boss Willie Walsh told the BBC that the offer was no longer available.

He said the offer was conditional on strike action being averted, and so had been withdrawn."
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    Well now I still dont know whether we will be going away or not, as we are due to fly midday on 31st March and dont know whether flights will still be recovering from the disruption of the previous day.
    I feel so sorry for the others like me who have saved up to go away and have their travel plans in limbo at the moment.

Yep, me too - am due to fly out of Heathrow on 31st March :mad::mad::mad:

“That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    nzseries1 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do BA ALWAYS have a strike in the pipeline. It's a wonder anybody flies with them at all, ever.

It's just you.
    Legal team on standby
  • Julzed
    Julzed Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Yep, me too - am due to fly out of Heathrow on 31st March :mad::mad::mad:

Yep, Me three I'm afraid :mad: Just logged into my booking and it said "your flight may be subject to disruption" arrrggghhh!!! It is soo frustrating - all I want to do is go on holiday (a holiday that has been booked for 10 months and has been the result of some really hard saving) - Is that really too much to ask? Im sooo bl**dy annoyed :mad:
    Tara the Jack Russell, gone to the bridge 5 February 2014. :( Welcomed Toby & Tilly the Labrador-Daschund crossbreeds from Serbia 24 April 2014. Thank you to Serbia's Forgotten Paws for them :)
  • JPS29
    JPS29 Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    Compared to other airlines the BA staff actually have a good deal. The union will bring the demise of this company and then what can it do for it's members, offer to help them with their CV's?

I'm all for fighting for the little man but in this casse I honestly feel that this is a case of the union puffing its chesst out and holding BA over a barrell. I heard a report that contingency staff will be brought in by BA to cover the majority of disrupted flights. I hope this is the case and the strikes prove no purpose, other than people realising how greedy the BA staff are being
  • myflyguy
    Options
    my two pennies worth...
    Its easy to throw stones and judge when your outside looking in..
    Im actually inside, im one of the crew who WILL be going on strike... I could go on for ever about how we have been treated by the media and our employer have made a good job of painting us in a bad light already. For those of you that think we all have a "good deal" I beg to differ, If you have been there since the BOAC days then yeah, it may be true to say that, but those at the bottom of the ladder... fair from the truth. When I read in the daily mail I was on 34k I nearly fanited... becuase BA have been ripping me off, I've been short changed every year since I started. For those of you who are bothered... my P60 last year was £17,600... so I think I should get a letter in to Willie as Ive been seriously short changed! Also, Halifax would love me as Ive been trying to get a bigger mortgage for some time now lol

this despute isnt just about money.. its about the way crew have been bullied, harrased and treated like crap for almost a year over this now. We want an end to it as much as anyone else, We dont want to strike, but we are screwed either whether we strike or not. End of the line is that BA want to being in cheaper recruits, on a low hourly wage who will work maximum hours for minmum rest, dont want a career within the airline and who dont want to take out a pension with BA. IF this was any other sector people would be up in arms but because we have been painted as villians on over infalted wages no one cares.

End of the rant... let the bashing begin!
  • d34dc41m
    d34dc41m Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    just wanna say my heart bleeds for you.but let me tell you my story.

my partner and i have been togeather for 18 years and this year we finally managed to save enough money for our first holiday abroad.now ive been on a forced 4 day week for over 15 months and there is no sign of it changing any time soon.now how can you justify this.my parners holiday dates are fixed and cannot be changed so if you strike we wont have the option to change travel dates.grow some gonads and get on with your job.if you do strike however i hope you lose your job and everything you own as thats what you deserve imho
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    myflyguy wrote: »
    my two pennies worth...
    Its easy to throw stones and judge when your outside looking in..
    Im actually inside, im one of the crew who WILL be going on strike... I could go on for ever about how we have been treated by the media and our employer have made a good job of painting us in a bad light already. For those of you that think we all have a "good deal" I beg to differ, If you have been there since the BOAC days then yeah, it may be true to say that, but those at the bottom of the ladder... fair from the truth. When I read in the daily mail I was on 34k I nearly fanited... becuase BA have been ripping me off, I've been short changed every year since I started. For those of you who are bothered... my P60 last year was £17,600... so I think I should get a letter in to Willie as Ive been seriously short changed! Also, Halifax would love me as Ive been trying to get a bigger mortgage for some time now lol

this despute isnt just about money.. its about the way crew have been bullied, harrased and treated like crap for almost a year over this now. We want an end to it as much as anyone else, We dont want to strike, but we are screwed either whether we strike or not. End of the line is that BA want to being in cheaper recruits, on a low hourly wage who will work maximum hours for minmum rest, dont want a career within the airline and who dont want to take out a pension with BA. IF this was any other sector people would be up in arms but because we have been painted as villians on over infalted wages no one cares.

I am aware of both sides of the dispute. I am also aware that we are in the middle of a recession, and if you think that you are getting a worse deal than workers in any other industry, you are wrong. Indeed, you get a very good deal compared to some. Get over yourself.

You state that you are screwed whether you strike or not. You know it is going to resolve nothing. So why do it?

I notice you are planning a holiday for September. How would you feel if someone messed up your plans?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    myflyguy wrote: »

No bashing from me, I wish you well.;)

It is evident to me that BA Management are hell bent on causing this chaos.

Oh and no, I have no ties with BA or Unite whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure