March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• moonbabe58
    moonbabe58 Posts: 526 Forumite
    Can you put me down for £170
    Expecting Baby No 1 - 20/06/14 - Team Yellow!
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    scotdebs wrote: »
    Hi all looking for a couple of receipes from the more experienced GC folks to stop me heading into MR M&S Foodhall
    - potato rostis
    - macaroni cheese (i dont like cheese which is why i have never bothered to try and make this but DS2 likes it)
    would be great if I was able to freeze them as well

Macaroni cheese - see post No 5 on page one for recipe. Potato rosti - this one involves bacon, but you can leave the bacon out if you want. Happy cooking
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    I know I said I'd do this before but this time I really mean it. Have set myself a budget of £500 to include everything for our family of 5 and 2 large dogs. Will put weekly spend in my signature at the end of every week. Am being quite strict and not stocking up when I see good bargains, which has always been my downfall in the past.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,837
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good luck to all the newbies this month.

Small spend in MrT. Got 50/50 bread for 65p Whoopsie, plus green beans, 2 x double decker, 2 egg custards and 6 instore bakery hot x buns. The buns are on offer at 43p for 6 until 7th March hth someone.

Also went to Ic*land and got 10 x hula hoops for £1.

Sig updated.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    I seriously think I need to do the "My name is Long tall sally & I am a shopoholic" thing!

Went to mr T's for slippers & g/free biscuits & then thought I may as well spend over £25 and use a £2.50 Farm Foods voucher. Also went to Farm foods but they hadn't had their delivery of milk so got some choccie bars for pack lunches & eggs & then had to go to Iceland for milk. All in all spent another £31 odd. Signature duly updated.

I am now going to try really hard to keep away from the shops for a few days and spend othing more. Infamous last words, eh?
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    JayJay14 wrote: »
    If you do want to use jelly most of the crystal type ones are veggie.

Sorry, don't know what crystal type ones are! Can you give more details please?

Thanks

Moniker
  • scotdebs
    scotdebs Posts: 566 Forumite
    ChocClare thanks for the receipes will give them a go soon

Ok first spend to report £20.10 in MR A ............YES I know my budgeted spend was £15.00 but I bought DS1 a comic (he has been v good and gets a wee treat now and again) and I bought donuts to take up to my aunt who was looking after DS2 but all in all not bad - didnt do my usual trawl through all the aisles just went straight to the bits I needed and left so feeling quite proud of myself :A
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Got my ASDA delivery all in order.

Made a new dish for tea last night and it was lovely;

400g minced steak
    2 carrots diced
    2 onions chopped
    Spinach
    Steamed basmati rice with red lentils stirred through
    Squirt tomato puree
    Curry powder
    Cumin
    Coriander
    Salt and pepper

Dry fried the mince with the carrot and onion, when cooked I added the spices and the puree and simmered with a lid on for about 30 minutes, add the spinach and then stirred the cooked, chilled (left over) rice and lentils into it and serve.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • Good afternoon all,

well I don't have to think about dinner tonight as I am off out for a meal at a really nice restaurant. Wont be counting the bill in with my GC this time. Sometimes I do count eating out but usually only snacks or lunches, not dinners.

Trying really hard to be organised with pack lunches as this is an area I can fall down on. I tend to forget to defrost meat for sandwiches and then buy them from shops. Or I don't defrost soup for flask. So now I organise what I am having for packed lunch the evening before when I am giving kitchen the last tidy of the day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • NSD for me today :j

Was debating whether to go to the butchers, but as OH pointed out I have a meal plan stuck on the fridge for the next 2 weeks so really don't need anything. I just can't seem to help myself :o I seem to be obsessed with food shopping!!!

Also did a deal with my dad. He picked up some free range eggs from the guy he works with for me. Rather then paying him for them ( which is only 50p for 6! ) I gave him some of the cakes I made last night which he seemed more than happy with :D

Should save me a small fortune getting my eggs from him now, I was paying in the region of £1.50 - £1.80 for half a dozen FR eggs in the supermarket so it's a third of the price!
    Going to get to grips with food shopping again, starting February!

Got married to my lovely hubby on 12/11/2011 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport