PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• aliadds
    aliadds Posts: 26,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr A delivered shopping for the week so spent £37.20! Don't think I bought enough fruit and veg though! Made a stew for tea yesterday, which will do tonight's tea as well! Just boiled some eggs to make egg mayo for DS sandwiches for tomorrow. All in all so far, so good!:)
    Less is more
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did well today went to MrA and only bought what was on the list. It has never been heard of. I am really trying this time. I'm only going shopping when I have ran out of items rather than a big shop. Also helps me trying to lose weight as I push both kids there which is 2 miles away and can't buy too much or I wouldn't get it home.
    Going to try for a NSD tomorrow.
    Right off to roast another butternut squash they are on offer at Aldi for 49p and I love them been having one a day.
    GC July £250/
  • Hi,

Hope you all have had a good afternoon, I only went into Wilkin--n for pan scrubbers, and came out with a wooden spoon, vegtable seeds and Ari-l Gel which to be fair was on still on offer at £3.97 for a huge one. Too good to miss I thought. Spent £ 7.00 and will have to add it to my grocery budget.

Whilst clearing the cupboard have discovered two huge packets of green puy lentils, family not too keen on these on there own, any ideas how to use them in disguise?

I know you guys will have plenty of ideas.
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2010 at 7:09PM
    Woohoo, another no spend day here (can't see it lasting, somehow!).

In other news, part of my "community service" is that I get eggs for people at work from the free-range farm up the road on my way in (it's community service because I don't make any profit, I just do it as a favour for colleagues ;)). Anyway, my own free-range hens have started laying in earnest, so I actually sold £2.80 of my OWN eggs at work today - result! :T So I'm knocking this off my budget which means I really am ahead of the game so far this month :rotfl:

As I've only got 8 hens I can't see that I'm going to make a fortune doing this, but it covers the cost of their feed. And my eggs are yum!
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Moniker wrote: »
    Sorry, don't know what crystal type ones are! Can you give more details please?

Thanks

Moniker

If you check out the jelly shelves in the supermarket they are in sachets (usually 2 together) Hartleys do one.
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Thanks Mrs M and Rosie ben for the thread, i did thank in previous post but for some readon it hasn't shown up, so thanks again :o. so far i have spent £24.03 and guess what its all gone! :eek: the kids and DH have eaten it all.

Made a list for Friday for when i go to Sainsbugs, i went on money supermarket and its worked out the cheapest, so going to stock up on flour, beans etc for the month.
    Making macaroni cheese and focaccia bread for tea tonight. Got a meal plan for the week so it should be all good as i think i have everything in.

Right off to have a cuppa and find out how to make au natural multi surface cleaner.
  • tranquil_2
    tranquil_2 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Spent £68 in Morrisons. Did ok, took a list and managed to get everything that was on it. Resisted most impulse buying but did spurge on their meal deal, £8 for Indian; starter, 2 mains, 2 sides and 2 (large) bottles of Kingfisher beer. I'm trying to justify it in that it is cheaper than a take away. Saving it for us on Friday night, will do kids something easy.

Other than that I've got meals for the rest of the week but I'm not sure further than that. Back to browsing the meal planning threads!
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    JayJay14 wrote: »
    If you check out the jelly shelves in the supermarket they are in sachets (usually 2 together) Hartleys do one.

Thanks JayJay14 - I will be doing my 'big' shop in Sainsbury's tomorrow so I will have a look for them then.

Had to go into town this afternoon for an optician's appointment and guess what- our new Lakeland has just opened and I had to go in and have a look didn't I - it would have been rude not to! Anyway, I bought some loaf tin liners and Astonish paste (have been looking for it everywhere) and have updated my total to take account of these spends.

I need the cake tin liners because I am running a cake stall for Shelter on Saturday week and so have been doing lots of extra baking. I have a batch of hob-nobs on the go as I write! It's hard not to taste the results especially as I have given up sweet things for Lent!

Supper tonight is a cannelloni with meat filling - I batch cooked mince last night in the sc and now have filled 16 tubes (2 lots of 8- one lot has gone in the freezer)and there was still enough left to freeze separately for another spag bol or lasagne. Not bad for 500gms mince - at least 6 meals maybe 8!

Off to finish cooking now. Have a good evening everyone.

Moniker
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Monicker what do you put in your mince as that seems to have really stretched?
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    £40.51 spend so far for us, in a combination of Morrisons, Netto & Lidl. The list was written after literally just a quick look in the cupboards/freezer/fridge to see what was missing though, I haven't grabbed the time yet to do a meal plan for the month to see if there's anything else we need. So what would normally be our 'big' shop at the start of the month hasn't been really.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport