Bargain alert! 32" HD Ready LCD TV £499 from £699

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Update 4 October

The Woolies TV is currently out of stock but Woolworths will give us an update when more stock arrives and there will be a note in the weekly e-mail.

STOP PRESS 27/9/08 at 5pm! An even cheaper 32" HD ready LCD TV, made by Technosonic, is going on sale next Monday 2 October in store and online at Woolworths.

It's currently on its site at £499 but you will be able to order it online or in-store at £399 as of Monday. The offer is until stocks last so get in there quick. For more details on HD-TVs in general and the Sainsbury offer please read below

What's the offer?

Sainsbury is currently selling a Bush 32" LCD HD ready TV for £499 (ie a very big, thin, flat hi-tech telly). This was £699 before which was already a reasonable price for this size HD ready TV - so at sub-£500 this is very competitive.

The TV should be available nationwide (in larger Sainsbury's) while its stocks last, but it's not available online. It's worth phoning your local store and checking before hand - find a store.

What is HD TV?

HD is short for high definition TV, in other words better resolution which will produce a better quality of picture - especially good for sports and nature type problems. (Though it's a nightmare for people who are on TV as it shows up all the lines and blemishes in close up - aaarggghhhh, looks like I'll need more slap than Tom & Jerry!)

What does HD ready TV mean?

Analog TV's can't be used to receive HDTV because the older technology just won't work. HD ready TV's means the TV is able to receive this type of picture but you will still need special HD receiver such as a Sky or cable HD receiver box to be able to get the picture.

Currently these are quite pricey, so to go completely HD now isn't cheap. However the format is likely to become increasingly common over the next few years, so if you're looking for a new TV to last you a number of years, getting an HD TV does mean you are future proofing so you can receive this technology once the price of the receiver boxes drops.

MoneySaving Warning

While this is a good value high tech gizmo - £500 is not a small sum of money. Don't be tempted to buy it unless you can afford it, TV technology prices tend to drop for the same thing, so saving up and waiting a while can often pay off.

Remember the MoneySaving mantras

IF YOU'RE SKINT
Do I need it?
Can I afford it?
Can I find it cheaper anywhere else
IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT
Will I use it?
Is it worth it?
Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

Martin

IF YOU SPOT A SIMILAR PRODUCT CHEAPER PLEASE CLICK REPLY AND TELL OTHERS

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family