February 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,317
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    After thinking things over the past couple of days I've decided to discount some things I paid for out of my birthday money so my balance (after spending 70p in Co-op on reduced bread today) for groceries is £113.70/£120 - I think I'm going to need to buy eggs at some point so will get some from A*da probably Thursday as I'm out anyway.

I did treat myself to some giant chocolate buttons & a tika masala pastie today for my lunch - but I'd been fasting so I could have bloods done and wanted something hot/spicy & fast, and then the chocolate as a real treat as I didn't even feel faint this time :o:rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    welshkaz wrote: »
    sunnygirl do you brown the mince before putting in slow cooker ? ive always wondered

a nsd for me today hoping for another tomorrow as have plans wednesday so ones out then ....
    I do brown the mince, yes. I brown all meat before putting it in as it looks nicer and I think has more flavour but I know a lot of people don't. I don't cook anything else though like onions & veggies - I just chuck them in :)

Well .................. There is a 6 person portion of chilli inthe fridge ready for tomorrow :j:j:j I am very chuffed with myself as in the past I would have served too much up tonight and not had enough for tomorrow despite using 2 packs of mince.
  • Evening all,

wel we did succumb to a valentine treat and got Do*inos pizza last night with 50% off voucher, very yummy but SO salty, i spent half the night waking gasping for water! My cooking from scratch doesnt have salt in it as i think its bad for you so really felt the effects of this hit!

Anyway had an appointmet with occupational health nurse from work today (new employee review thing) so had to travel miles into the city centre (im based elsewhere, also miles) so had a pop into the giant A*di they have in the centre and was very impressed, it was very lovely and fresh and modern-sounds silly but my local one isnt that nice. It seemed much cheaper than my local one too, so may have to have a go at doing my next main shop at A*di and see what i can save.

I bought-

2 x packs baby button mushrooms £1.18
    2 x packs large vine tomatoes 98p
    tea bags £1.79
    sprouts 45p
    carrier bag 9p

total £5.18

very pleased with my haul. Id have probably got more but was on the bus and couldnt carry too much.

The teabags were their Red Label ones and they were only £1.79 for 240-had 50% free is thats of any use to anyone. Baling potatoes, plums and pears were included in super 6 but cant remember what else and they had savoy cabbage for only 29p.

So another spend to add to sig, im not doing bad though and have all i need, im just obsessed with having loads of fruit and veg as i try to make sure we eat enough of it.

Have a lasagne cooking in the oven (pre prepared im afraid-been a long day:o) so im off to have some of that.

Night all x
  • Aaaah! It was all going so well, til last Friday. I thought I was only going to have to buy milk, veggies and cat food for the rest of the month. But I wasn't feeling very well on Friday and fancied a treat...ended up going to Mr. W and spending £10. I was chuffed to get a brie bacon and cranberry tarte reduced from £3.99 to £1.39. I figure it'll do four lunches.

Then Saturday was another vet bill for cat food...I also got given some cat painkillers...I wasn't planning to include that, but I have no idea what cost what. Another £13.23

Then everything went to pot and I bought take away for four...I'm including it, as I don't want to take the money out of my monthly spending budget. £16.86 :(

In addition, I have guests galore coming this week to stay...I have planned a few dinners and lunches, already. And am being good and using as much food from the freezer as possible. My first guest arrives tomorrow lunch time and leaves on Thursday, then I have friends coming Friday for dinner and then another friend coming on Saturday and another house guest arriving Sunday leaving the following Thursday. I did spend £33.23 in the supermarket. A hefty chunk was on some wine, admittedly. But I did manage to get some bargains. I got two bags of broccoli chunks for 20p each, a bag of carrots 20p, soup mix 20p, hot cross buns 60p. :T There was absolutely nothing in the meat/reduced area though, so I need to figure out what time they do reductions.

So I've just massively skyrocked from about £25 to almost £100 :eek: in the space of a few days! Not feeling very happy with myself...I now need to be super-careful for the rest of the month.
    February GC £150/£137.84:A
    March GC £150/£36.40
  • Nsd for me today as had a lovely lazy day at home. Will hopefully have another one tomorrow (well groceries anyway) as we are off to Alton Towers for the day but then again we have run out of cheese and bananas so may end up popping to the local Co Op tomorrow night. Keep up the good work everyone!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:

Haven't been on for a few days and have just updated my signature.
    Well, on Friday I went to Lidl and spent £22.08 and got lots of storecupboard stuff. Then went to Mr T and spent £3.49.on local newspaper and mags. Was tempted to go to some other shops to look for whoopsies but decided I had enough stuff for the moment. Was quite pleased with myself for being so restrained.
    On Saturday I bought another newspaper and spent £1.80, silly really as I could go online but went for a coffee to the restaurant where DD works and wanted to sit, read and relax. Also haven't seen her for a while and wanted to catch up before she started work.
    Sunday was a NSD day as I was working a late shift. Today a NSD as catching up at home. Have got 2 more days admin work this week so really pleased, I take my own lunches as it works out so much cheaper and can stick to my diet.

Lovely to hear all your news, can't believe we are on page 36 already this month. See you later :)
  • ikkleosu
    ikkleosu Posts: 546 Forumite
    Well, had to do this week's shopping earlier than normal due to logistics of when my lift was free and when I was free. Ended up going just before lunchtime, which I thought meant no whoopsies. I was wrong.

Spent £37.04 which included a birthday card (Feb/Mar/Apri has SO many birthdays), cold medication and lots of ingredients for future soup nights. That includes some whoopsied Finest sausages and a pork joint to make lovely ham and lentil.

Oh and 15 eggs! Never bought so many before but OH eats 3 at a time so 6 never lasts. Lots of omlettes this week.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone - i havent been posting much this month but have still been keeping receipts and keeping tabs on what i have spent.
    After havinga quick look and totalling up I have spend a grand total of £88.60 this month with my challenge finishing on Thurs (as payday is Friday!!).
    I have a few bits of shopping to get today but it should still come within budget for the month. Really hope it does as this will be the first month I have managed it :rotfl:
    Right off to update my sig
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    :hello: I haven't updated for ages! total so far £134.01/£200

Mainly result of going to Costcos! Now have plenty of chicken, braising steak, tuna steaks and salmon in the freezers. Also a good supply of tinned tuna (£4.89 for 10 tins), tea (6 x 80 bags tetley £5.89 with coupon), coffee (dh has just got to have good coffee in) easy cook rice £5.29 for 5kg, 15 bags of sugar for £7.94 (been making jams, jellies and marmalades recently with the jam maker) and pups happy with a goodly supply of dental stix and chicken chews but that is from a different budget!

I found some blackberries in the freezer, dated 2008! so with the cheap sugar made 4 jars of blackberry jelly and will make another 4 today - works out at about 20p a jar!

Also cancelled this weeks organic box as I really need to work my way through all the frozen veg now. Today we will have hm cream of vegetable soup for lunch and beef stir fry tonight (using up all the odd bits of veg and some more of the approved foods noodles) and pancakes for afters! Also will make a huge fruit flan for the rest of the week as I'm giving up candy for lent :( so will need some sweetness from somewhere!;) As something positive for lent I am finally going to try making home made pasta and get the lovely machine out I was given 2 years ago and not yet used!:o
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks rosieben for more soup recipes.Ended up going for a cheats minestrone.

2 pints chicken stock
    1 onion
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    1 tin toms
    2 tbsps tom puree
    5 cooked little carrots chopped
    handful of cooked shredded cabbage
    4oz pasta shapes
    seasoning

Fry onion and garlic till soft then throw everything else in.Bring to the boil, wap the lid on and leave to simmer for 40 mins. Delish!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport