New Post Advanced Search

February 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 January 2010 at 10:34AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 75K views

Replies

• ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    NJW69 wrote: »
    If I was making this I would either do a quick version using as someone else suggested Campbells condensed soup, chopped up chicken and onions added or to make yourself. White sauce, melted butter in pan, stir in some flour to make a paste (off the heat) then back on the heat and add milk in small quantities so you don't get lumps and then keep stirring until it thicknes. I'd add the chicken, some onion, mushroom, splash of white wine, balsamic vinegar and some tarragon. Serve with rice.

That's fab thanks. Didn't want a soup based one as I can't stand that stuff!
    Now need to justify buying a whole bottle of wine just for a recipe - no one here drinks white. (Maybe tesco express will have mini bottles...) I'd go to the pub and buy a glassful but it'd cost as much as a cheap bottel!
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Ragz, I noticed last week that Lidl do mini bottles of wine for about £1.50 if you can bring yourself to take the baby in again. You can then freeze any left over wine in ice cube trays and use for future cooking.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Spent £296.58 last month so aiming at £280.00 for this month, I work on a 4 week basis so my month will start today 31st Jan and finish 28th Feb

So Far, £178.17

£18.24
    £32.10

£228.51

£51.49 left - not going to make it.
    Or £68.07 left if its not going to be worse than last month.
  • SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linda32 Don't be to hard on yourself. It's all too easy to look at others budgets and think that you're doing terribly - I used to do it when I first started :o

The main thing is that you're AWARE of what you're spending which I'm sure will be an improvement on pre-grocery challenge days. Where are your spends going? I only ask as I was horrified at the amount of 'nips to the shops for bread/milk' that were adding £100 to the budget :eek:

How many are you feeding on your budget as a matter of interest - not being nosey I'm sure that there'll be lots of collective wisdom if you need it at all :)
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • edited 15 February 2010 at 1:55PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 February 2010 at 1:55PM
    mikeD wrote: »
    ... The reason I'm posting is that over the last couple of years my "Groceries" seem to have gone up by about 30% (ie from around £240 to about £320 per month. I don't buy any more than I used to, and food prices don't seem to have gone up that much because of the competition so what's going on. I always try to get the best value for money, but I'm still spending far too much. Any ideas. All contributions gratefully received. :)

mike, great to get a visit from the FM :D can't offer much help on your question I'm afraid; prices do seem to be going up all the time and one day I mean to go back through my account book and see just how much the price of basic foodstuffs has gone up since I first joined GC some years ago, I think it will be a bit of a shocker!

russetred wrote: »
    Just on to catch up and update my sig.I'm hoping to empty the freezer by the end of the month.I've defrosted some chicken stock so I'll go find some inspiration on page 1 for soup.

More soup recipes here in post #7 ;)

loulou0327, tomato paste recipe link is now in front page list :T

have a good week and take care everyone hippie-2.gif
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Linda32 Don't be to hard on yourself. It's all too easy to look at others budgets and think that you're doing terribly - I used to do it when I first started :o

The main thing is that you're AWARE of what you're spending which I'm sure will be an improvement on pre-grocery challenge days. Where are your spends going? I only ask as I was horrified at the amount of 'nips to the shops for bread/milk' that were adding £100 to the budget :eek:

How many are you feeding on your budget as a matter of interest - not being nosey I'm sure that there'll be lots of collective wisdom if you need it at all :)

Hiya, no not at all, I welcome the help. :) Only feeding myself and OH, we both take pack-ups to work.

This includes wine :o , cleaning stuff, of which I buy very very little, toiletries, all smart price or whichever apart from Simple Soap, but thats only for me and two bars lasts for ages.
    (Please don't think that sounds like I'm denying myself buying smart price, I'm not really, it just all seems the same to me)

I take off flowers/presents/Saturdays paper etc off the food bill before I post it on here.

I might be brave and post a receipt one of these days :rotfl:
  • ellemmellemm Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Linda32 - when I first started the GC, I was spending at least £60 a week just for OH and I and yes that included wine. So not actually that far off your £280.

Started off reducing gradually by £10 or £20 a month (and don't now include wine) and now am at about £40 or less a week and hoping to continue at this level or lower :)

I'm sure you will find as the weeks go on that you will be spending less too.

• Afternoon all

We are still under snow -and more on its way -it was here when we got back from the UK after xmas ....and it hasn't given up yet :eek:

As a result I have managed 18 NSDs out of 21 so far this month :j-and only 10 days until we start March in this house :D -
    My spends are now at €25 *must update signature*....so Im well in budget -so far and the freezers are stuffed to the ginnels .

Hubby is back in the UK for a couple of days so if he gets time he will be doing a Tesco "smash n grab" for more bread flour and hopefully 12 blocks of their organic salted butter nomnomnom :rotfl: -I can get it out here if Im willing to pay €2.59 :eek:-so obviously I wait until they whoops it to €1 and clear them out and freeze :p, but its not very often I can do it and as we are down to our last pack :( -so if hubby can get it for £1.18 I will be happy enough-other butter just isn't the same :o.
    oohhh and one of hubbies workmates has just come back from the UK and has picked me up 12 bags of bread flour as part "thankyou" for dawgy sitting for her :T-Im easily pleased :D

This week Im going to be eating some of the remaining 12 "ready meals" I made for hubby when I went in the hospital for lunch ;)- it will hopefully make some space in the freezer and give me more time to X-stitch :T

Hubby has now requested a swap to "summer menus" for his work lunches -Im not suprised as he has had soooooo many home made soups n stews over winter. Lakeland have just sent me out a replacement remoska (inside the lid was blistering -its still usable though :D) -so we have decided that next autumn he will take one of the old ones to work with him so he can have more variety .

Im another one who had to get to grips with portion control as my mum always produced meals that required a block n tackle to climb to the top so you could eat your way down :rotfl:....its taken some doing but we have got there... and hubby still reckons I could make them smaller still ;)

Right thats more than enough waffle :rotfl:
    Hope everyone is doing well....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ellemm wrote: »
    Linda32 - when I first started the GC, I was spending at least £60 a week just for OH and I and yes that included wine. So not actually that far off your £280.

Started off reducing gradually by £10 or £20 a month (and don't now include wine) and now am at about £40 or less a week and hoping to continue at this level or lower :)

I'm sure you will find as the weeks go on that you will be spending less too.

Thanks, I've been thinking about this and there are ways in which I could cut down, for example, we use 4 loo rolls a week, so I really should buy 16 at the start of the month, rather than 4 every week.

Just had a quick look on Sainsbury's website 4 loo rolls work out at 49p each where as 18 rolls works out at 37p each :T

Likewise Co-op bacon is £2.36 for one pack or £4.00 for two, I buy this every week, but only one pack at a time.
    Worst of all, I do know you can portion it up/freeze etc :o

Of course, doing this will stop the "nipping to the shop" bit as well.
  • earthmotherearthmother Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok - I was hoping to get to Wednesday on the NSDs, and I haven't made it, but it's actually done me a favour.

Took the 2 younger boys into town on Saturday as the eldest was out with DH and grandpa. Had a wander around, spent the last of their christmas money, and popped into Tesco to grab them a drink before we caught the bus home - came out with 5 packs of reduced pancakes (39p for 8) - they're in the freezer now, so that's tomorrow sorted, plus another couple of puddings over the next week or so :D

Then today the boys fancied some Nutella for the pancakes - we probably only buy a jar a year if that, so it's a treat. Nipped into the Co-op just at the right time - came out with 3 bags of reduced bread - 6packs of 6 Hovis baps for 17p each because the multibuy still worked, and some big Hovis loaves for 60p - filled the freezer, and got enough bread to see out the month with a bit of luck. And the Nutella was on offer :D

Total spend now is £165.79 - and no reason to shop until Friday :D
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts