January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2010 at 8:58PM
    Hi all. Managed to have a NSD today & will again tomorrow hopefully as am at work for most of it. Getting quite worried about money now as I normally get a carer's allowance for my son and I haven't received that this month because D,W& P have said that I earned too much last month to be eligible for it which I disagree with but they are looking into. Then tonight OH came home to say they may all be facing redundancy at work. Things seem to be going from bad to worse at the moment so I may be needing to reign in my grocery spending even more than I have been doing.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    taka wrote: »
    Good to have you back MRSMCAWBER! :j

Well done to Helen Jelly for looking after this in your absence too! :T

Totally agree with the above:T
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all, I said £240 for the month so thats £60.00 for the week. My week started on 31st December

So £240.00 to finish on 28th January, that will be 4 weeks at £60.00 per week

Already spent:-

£179.91

Co-op £18.54
    Sainsbury £40.45

£238.90

Okay :D well, I still have this weekends shopping to put on. I'll take a list and then whatever it comes to at 28th January, I'll knock £10.00 off that.
  • Hello.

Welcome back MrsMC, hope you are all better now x

Spent £2.96 in Mr M today. Off to update sig. I am hoping will end up under budget. I am meal planning like a demon, so here's hoping!

Lisa x
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,837
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Wow - 70 pages!!!

Hello everyone,

Been on a course today and had to buy lunch, but this was from my Av0n purse, so not from our GC total. Felt really indulgent buying a freshly made cheese sandwich and crisps! Food hygiene course - gave me both a headache and nausea - not looking forward to day 2 tomorrow!

Being that our GC for Jan ends tomorrow, and I've no plans to go out tonight, I'd like to declare at £349.02 this month which is £50.98 under. We have really tightened our belts and I have had several days of moany kids complaining that there's no biscuits, DH moaning about some evening meals, and an almost empty fridge, but funnily enough we have all survived :p.

A big thank you to Helen Jelly for keeping us on the straight and narrow, and welcome back MrsM.

Good luck everybody and hugs to all that need them.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Two NSDs in a row for me, and my new month starts tomorrow, so now I can set myself a budget and do my meal plan. Having been away, it was really helpful to 'play' OS for a week, before starting properly again.
    Made some soup yesterday - classic storecupboard cuisine! I opened the cupboard, found red lentils, a tin of toms (with a bit of sugar), a tin of hotdog sausages, some bbq herby-type mix, some mixed herbs, some worcester sauce, a veg stock cube and a dash of tabasco. Despite sounding weird, was actually quite nice with som hm bread for my lunch today!!
    Not declaring for Jan, but I would like to have a budget of £150 for Feb please.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TheBees wrote: »
    Evening everyone -

Moniker - please could we have the recipe for the chicken and broccoli bake? It sounds lovely and I have some chicken I was going to put in a pie.

Tonight's tea was whoopsied sausages, some leftover mash from the freezer which I turned into fried potato, baked beans and a packet of super noodles!! Not very healthy but v.cheap!:rotfl:I also made a favourite pudding of mine from my school days. Does anyone remember "Fudge Tart"? It was a pastry base with a thick, creamy filling and grated chocolate on top. Well I found the recipe on a school recipe website and it was just as I remembered it.:j

NSD for me as we were back to school but I will need a couple things tomorrow to keep us going til the end of the week.

Heavy snow forecast here tomorrow afternoon. I love the snow but my son has an exam on Thursday so hope he can get to school.
    Recipe please !!!
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • jessie18
    jessie18 Posts: 68
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello everyone,
    well i told myself this month was going to be so very different :mad: ......yes i was intending to be a lot more organised.... Hasnt happened yet!!! That said its a good job ive managed to keep all my receipts so i can update tomorrow. Im hoping to still be within my budget for January even though ive had to send hubby out shopping as ive had raging toothach for two and a half weeks, a week of that even after i had it out :cry:
    I wont ever be sending him again, last weeks shopping was £106 for one week:eek: :eek::eek:
    Mmm me thinks if it was his money he wouldnt have been buying all those nice things, and would have stuck to the list. I hope everyones getting on o.k, i havent been able to keep up with the threads as ive felt so awful. Will update tomorrow, fingers crossed ill be within budget :wave:
    Sealed Pot Challenge no. 092
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2010 at 10:16PM
    As requested, here is the recipe for self saucing chocolate pudding - found in a magazine a few years ago.

Serves 8 (or 4 hungry people!)

Pie dish 750ml (1 1/4pt)
    125g plain flour
    pinch of salt
    60g caster sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    120ml milk
    40g melted butter
    1 egg
    couple drops vanilla essence

Topping
    180g muscovado or any brown sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    250ml boiling water

Method
    Grease the pie dish
    Sieve the dry ingredients into a bowl. Combine the milk, butter, egg and vanilla and mix with the dry ingredients all together. Pour into the pie dish. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge. Can be left overnight for the following day if you wish.
    Preheat oven 180c. Sprinkle cocoa and sugar for the topping over the pudding. Pour the boiling water over the top. Do not mix. Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes until puffy and firm in the centre. May be served with cream or ice cream.

NSD here but Mr T coming tom with a large shop. Good news - the ipod came back today!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Oops sorry wrong recipe

Fudge Tart from School recipes.co.uk

Ingredients
    Pastry made with 6oz plain flour
    Filling
    1/2 pint milk
    3 oz sugar
    4 oz marg
    2 oz plain flour
    1/2 oz grated chocolate
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method
    Make pastry and line 8 inch flan tin bake blind if you wish. (I bought one!)
    Pour half the milk into saucepan, add marg and heat until nearly boiling. Blend the remainder of the milk with the flour, mix to a smooth paste then add to the milk/marg mixture. Add sugar and cook thoroughly until a smooth finish obtained. Add vanilla essence. Pour into pastry case. Chill til set the grate chocolate on top.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family