PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Liver recipe needed

Does anyone have a good liver recipe and would it be ok done in the slow cooker? I used to do a liver and bacon casserole using a packet sauce but would prefer to make it from scratch. :)
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    We are having liver ourselves tonight, can't remember last time I bought some, I use a recipe that I got from Weight Watchers ages ago, it only takes a few minutes to prepare.

Liver with Sherry Sauce

I don't weigh stuff when cooking (I just guess) but I usually buy a pound of lambs liver for this and use a big onion and about half a pound of mushrooms.

Coat strips of lambs liver in plain flour then shallow fry the onions and mushrooms in a little olive oil, add the liver after a few minutes. Once the liver is nicely brown I add some sherry,(usually use the cheap stuff from the supermarket) some dried or fresh sage, depends what's in the cupboard, and top up with either veg or chicken stock (oxo cube or similar with enough liquid to cover the meat). I serve it with pasta or jacket potatoes, and veg and I am now looking forward to eating my tea tonight.

Or take a look here for lots of liver ideas.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    The easiest recipe of all is: wash and dry the liver, place it in a casserole, cover with a jar of ragout type (spaghetti) sauce. Cook in the slow cooker for hours. The liver becomes all soft and crumbly, then you can serve it on spaghetti like bolognese. I love liver myself, but my kids don't (or so they think, they eat it like this!)
    Try it, I think you'll love it too!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I fry some onions, garlic and sausage in a roasting tin, add the liver and some chicken stock and stick it in the oven for an hour. Then I place the tin back on the hob and add in some bisto gravy to thicken it all up . Serve with mash, peas and cauliflower. Yum! You could alternatively do all this but put it in the slow cooker instead of the oven.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    Another liver recipe Ive tried and liked:

1 lb lambs liver
    1½ oz seasoned flour
    3oz margarine
    1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
    2 rashers streaky bacon, rinded and chopped
    4oz button mushrooms, washed and sliced
    ¼ pint chicken stock
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    5oz fresh soured cream

Cut the liver into ½ inch strips. Toss the liver in seasoned flour. Heat half the margarine in a frying pan and fry liver until lightly browned - about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and put on one side. Add remaining margarine to pan and fry onion, bacon and mushrooms until soft. Stir in remainder of seasoned flour and cook for 2 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then pour in the stock gradually and bring to the boil, stirring. Season well, return liver to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes. Off the heat stir in the soured cream and re-heat without boiling. Garnish with chopped chives and serve with boiled rice, french beans and grilled tomatoes.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Thanks so much everyone, will use one of these recipes tomorrow. :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I haven't cooked liver for years , but used to cook it regularly when my elder daughter was a baby and liquidise it for her. Don't think she'd believe that she ever used to like liver now :D

This is the recipe that I used to use , it's from a book called Cooking for Two , so oddly enough it's a recipe for 2 people :rolleyes: I'm not a big fan of liver , but remember liking this recipe and it's very easy to do

8oz Calf's Liver
    2oz lard OR dripping
    2 onions , finely chopped
    4oz mushrooms
    1/4pt stock OR water plus stock cube

1.Trim the liver and coat both sides in seasoned flour.
    2. Heat the fat and add the liver slices. Brown on both sides and then remove from the pan.
    3. Add the onion to the hot fat , cover with a lid and fry gently until soft (about 5 mins)
    4. Place the liver in a casserole dish , add the onions and mushrooms and pour over the stock. Cover with a lid , place in the centre of a moderate oven (355f -Gas Mark4) and cook for 30 mins.
    5. Serve with creamy mashed potato sprinkled with chopped chives or parsley
    Same old same old since 2008

• fudgem
    fudgem Posts: 534 Forumite
    I do this one slowly in the oven so it would probably be suitable for a slow cooker, and the great thing is the meal is complete in itself so you just take it out and eat it. The quantities will obviously depend on how many you are making it for

pigs liver ( lambs liver would spoil with long cooking)
    sausages
    potatoes thinly sliced
    carrots thinly sliced
    onions thinly sliced

Layer all the ingredients, seasoning as you go, and top with slices of bacon (i like it quite fatty) Add an oxo cube to 1/2 pint of water and pour over.

I don't have a slow cooker so do it in the oven for about 3-4 hours on 160.
  • I have recently had tests done to see how my iron count is doing and lo and behold its low :rolleyes: so it has been suggested that i eat lambs liver :eek: Does anyone have any not liverish tastey but tastey slow cooker recepies made with lambs liver please. All i can remember is the yuky stuff we used to get on school dinners, which i have to say did rather put me off :cool: In fact any recepies that would be considered high in iron would be great if any one has them :T Thanks in advance :A
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    Quite a few here http://www.basic-recipes.com/r/liv/ and a couple of sites with plenty of info on other sources of iron:
    http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html
    http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/dietiron.html

Making me hungry now - liver and bacon sarnies...... drool
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    HI,

Spinach is high in iron, a recipe I like is:

Get some ramekins, grease them, put about a cm of drained canned spinach at the bottom, then put in about a tablespoon of cream, then break an egg on top. Bake in a medium oven until the white of the egg has set. (I think about 20 mins). Sorry I'm a throw it in and wait until it's cooked type cook.

I don't like liver either, but I think that you're supposed to cook it very lightly for a very short time, otherwise it turns into 'rubber'. So don't know if it will like slow cooking!! Have you thought of using it to make pate, the main ingredient is liver?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure