Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Options

Comments

• Sucker_for_sweeties
    Options
    What do you mean 'This offer is a one time thing". I was chatting with the manager of the store I went to, and as far as they were concerned this is a permanent pricing change. Do you have inside info. to the contrary? It would be ashame if it was pulled. Also, I don't think most posters are receiving high index lenses as a new experience, it's just that they are no longer having to pay a huge price for them.

Really....chap in mine suggested they were banking on less than 15% of applicants to have double figure prescriptions, or they might not be able to swallow the cost. Seriously, seriously considering buying another pair (of pairs), for my Christmas present.:T
    Not just a sucker for sweeties..:o
  • Sucker_for_sweeties
    Options
    Millerdog wrote: »
    As the title says I am so grateful to the OP for this information. As an official bat - (-11.75 & -14.5) I have been 'stuck' with my old specs for the past 7 years as I could not justify spending £400 plus on replacing them with anything that looked halfway decent!

I have just collected my two new pairs of specs from ASDA with 1.9 glass lenses and they are a delight. I may even be tempted to wear them outside the house !!! Those of you with my sort of prescription, who normally only wear contact lens in public will know EXACTLY what I mean.

The frames are up to date , the finish and fit is fine , they have inclusive anti reflective coating and best of all they only cost just over £75 for the TWO pairs in total after the NHS adjustment.

I guess Specsavers, D & A , Boots etc are just going to have to up their game now.

Ooooooooh, I'm so excited, I collect mine on Sunday, and frankly I don't really care much what they look like. I am SO looking forward to the clarity of my lovely shiny new lenses, and the delight of 1.9 light ones too, and for under £100.:j
    Many is the time I have wept at broken glasses, and the £300 I needed to replace them.
    Not just a sucker for sweeties..:o
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Having to wait until next week to even get a sight test with our local Asda, it's that popular! But that'll be me & Marley both having two new pairs of specs, for less than the cost of one (thinned) pair for me from any other optician :j
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • familyfitz
    Options
    Tigsteroonie - did you ask them to consider you for cancelled appointments?
    I was given one about 3 weeks later due to popularity of offer but they phoned within the week and offered me one two days later.
    Might be worth giving them a ring and deciding if can make it depending on what comes up.
    If only I could stop finding good bargains on this site, I would save a fortune! :rotfl:
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    OH doesn't have a particularly difficult prescription and ordered two pairs. They arrived pretty quickly but he's had to go back twice more to have them adjusted. When you're having yours adjusted try to avoid the 16 year old assistants who aren't very experienced. In our case it's a 35 mile round trip each time so so far he's made four trips - ordering, collecting, and two for extra adjusting.
  • twe
    twe Posts: 571 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately its the 50+ old assistant in our Asda Optician we have to avoid. Even after several complaints she was made into a manager! Things like not taking orders incorrectly, over-charging, wrong numbers used on lenses, etc...
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which one is that?
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also what info do i need to get the glasses, as i can only find a slip with some details on:

SPH
    CYL
    AXIS

Is this all the info i would need?

Thanks for any help, planning on going up lunch time :)
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    deefadog wrote: »
    Also what info do i need to get the glasses, as i can only find a slip with some details on:

SPH
    CYL
    AXIS

Is this all the info i would need?

Thanks for any help, planning on going up lunch time :)

You need a current dated prescription with the name of your optician and the above details. If the Asda optician is unsure of the details they will ring your own optician to confirm.
  • lawsofnature
    Options
    Really....chap in mine suggested they were banking on less than 15% of applicants to have double figure prescriptions, or they might not be able to swallow the cost. Seriously, seriously considering buying another pair (of pairs), for my Christmas present.:T

Did he say the offer would be ending though? As I'd be tempted to get another two sets of frames if it's going to end soon (but acc. to my store it's not).

Interesting you say about customers with double figure prescriptions - I wonder if it's only these very high prescriptions (eg. -10 or more) that ASDA make a loss on? I would have thought they were also making a loss on prescriptions on 1.67/1.7 lenses too (as well as the very, very thin ones), but maybe not?

Does anyone know what the REAL cost of these lenses are? And just what type of mark-up customers are paying? (I know lots of frames only cost a few pounds to make).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure