PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is in your lunch box today?

Options
Hello,

I need ideas to what to put in my lunch box. I work part time so won't get proper lunch break and end up eating bought sandwiches at the desk. I have had bursts of doing my own but get soon bored with them. I really can't afford to buy sarnies every day so need some healthy and yummy cheaper alternatives.

So what is in your lunch box today?
"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

Comments

• vij
    vij Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    soup in a flask :)
  • jc2703
    jc2703 Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just debating this! I have some soup left over but i'm not sure i fancy it today - I might quickly boil some eggs and make egg and onion sarnies.....Mmmmm

J x
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
  • Pauls
    Pauls Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    Cheese & Ham Sarnies, boring but cheap :rolleyes:
  • missychrissy
    Options
    I work night shifts so I can tell you what was in my lunch box last night. I roasted a chicken night before last and made up one person sized portions of chicken, spuds, cabbage, carrots, swede and gravy. I took one to work last night and heated it in the microwave. I have another 6 portions in the freezer for future use. I also took to work a pear and a satsuma.

I used the chicken carcass to make chicken, pulse and veg soup in the sc night before last, whilst at work, and that will be my lunchbox tomorrow night. I usually take a couple of pieces of fruit as well and a handful of nuts if I have some.
  • canidothis
    Options
    We've got a microwave and toaster at work so today its Beans on Toast.... yummy
    LBM March 2011 (what on earth took me so long?)
    overdraft (1) -2950 overdraft (2) -246.00
    total CC £12,661 :eek:
    loan £5000
    DFD 2016:eek::eek: (cant come soon enough)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Marru,

There are lots of ideas for lunches on this thread that may help:

Lunch for work (merged threads)

I'll add this thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • funkymonkey849
    Options
    Leftover curry and rice, two carrot and raisin fairy cakes, a banana and a fruit corner (rare treat cos they were on offer, normally its tesco value yoghurt!)
  • siaoeh
    siaoeh Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not for my lunch as I work from home, but I often do a quick pasta salad for OH. cook some pasta using the lid on, heat off method to save fuel. then chop some chilli, spring onions/onions, ham/crispy bacon/leftover chicken etc, tinned sweetcorn/pineapple/apple, red pepper, boiled egg etc and toss it all in the pasta with either some balsamic vinegar+olive oil or cream cheese. fresh black pepper and its more or less decent. he can have it cold or heated in the micro if he fancies it hot. I usually just ransack the fridge and see what I can add in but that's the usual stuff I have
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm on soup at home today, ds has some chicken liver pate sandwiches. I popped them in the freezer when the CLP had been open a couple of days. It 'tidied' it out of the fridge. Now to disguise the 'iffy cheese' for him for tomorrow, MIL's hm tomato chutney is very 'piquant' so should do the job!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can strongly recommend making the swap from bought sarnies to a homemade lunch - I started doing this about a year ago and the results are much cheaper and much, much tastier.

(Rather off topic, I know, but one of my colleagues teased me (in a friendly way) about my homemade lunches when I first started doing this. That stopped quite quickly when he realised my 'cheap' lunches were far nicer than the expensive ones he was buying every day. :))

At this time of year I usually make a big batch of soup at the weekend and have some, with a sandwich or chunk of HM bread, for lunch every day until it's all gone. If I have stew or something like that for dinner I'll sometimes make extra and take that in for lunch the next day - stew in particular is often better the next day anyway. If your company doesn't provide a microwave, vacuum flasks are surprisingly cheap, and mean you can still have something hot at lunchtime - I know this as my office's microwave died on Monday and I had to go and buy a flask so I could still have my soup!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure