September 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Beth86
    Beth86 Posts: 428 Forumite
    Hi all,
    I've been here before, but would like to join in again.

I'm going to put £250.00 for the month.
    This will include all food (inc. DS's school lunch), any takeaways, cleaning products etc. :)

And already I have spent £57.87. :o But that is food for the week (plus extra's for DS's Lunch Box.)

Hopefully next weeks will be less. :)
    Beth86
    also Beth.194 but I've lost my password.
    September GC - Budget £250 Spent [STRIKE]£56.33 £62.69 £64.91[/STRIKE] £69.11 (72% left)
    NSD's so far: 2!
  • May I join in again please?

£200.00 for September.Have plenty in the freezer and cupboards so I hope it will be less.

Thanks.
    "Always bear in mind, that very little indeed is necessary for living a happy life" Marcus Aurelius.

• Wow, page 9 already - thanks to Pink-winged, rosieben and MRSMC for getting us up and running again. A big welcome to all the Newbies too.

I've updated my total with my spends so far, cupboards and both Freezers looking good, menu planned for pretty much most of the month so feeling good about things.

Dinner tonight is HM Pizza, garlic bread and a big bowl of salad as tomatoes are ripening at a fast rate now in the Greenhouse. Pudding is a HM Lemon Meringue pie, haven't made one for ages so really looking forward to that.;)

Have a good afternoon everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Hi, I'm going to give this a go this month, as we've been trying to spend less the last couple of months (after I'd finally taken my head out of the sand and realised it was time to stop overspending!) but are still spending more than I'd like on groceries. I've budgeted £450 for 3 of us for the last two months, but still spent £535 and £511, and money is swiftly running out on us.

So I'm going for £450 again, but this time in public, which will hopefully give me the incentive to make it this time! We've decided to drop our weekly organic veg box, which should help a LOT!

The figure includes non-food items such as medicines (I get through a lot of paracetamol and hayfever tablets and even with the cheapest versions it still adds up), toiletries, loo roll, kitchen roll etc.
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have started my spend this month with €13.90 on meat and mixed beans, which will be used for salad and in soup.

Good luck to everyone

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Botany
    Botany Posts: 244 Forumite
    Ok I did 2 shops today:

Aldi £ 29.94
    Waitrose £11. 47

so I have £258.59 left from my £300 budget.

The good thing is that aldi had some of its frozen fish reduced so I have one whole sea bass, four sea breams and 2 cod fillets in my freezer. They will produce many delicious meals. The Aldi Super6 were also a good deal.

In Waitrose, amongts other things, I bought a Pitrock deodorant (came recommended in one OS thread) which is £5.99 but if the OSers recommendations are to be believed will last me months and months (prolly years?), so anyway I see this as a long-term investment ;)
  • CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I made my own scotch pancakes this morning. Surprisingly easy, and 4 year old ds approves, so we won't be buying them from the shop ever again.

Please share the recipe, my DS also 4 loves these, he normally only gets them if they are whoopsied.

Day 1 no spends :D
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,678
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Please share the recipe, my DS also 4 loves these, he normally only gets them if they are whoopsied.

Day 1 no spends :D

Scotch Pancakes

100g self raising flour
    50g caster sugar
    pinch of salt
    1 med egg
    60ml (4tbsp) milk

put flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, add the egg and then add enough milk to mix to a thick batter.

Now, the recipe said cook them on a well oiled hot griddle. but I cooked them in the frying pan, just like you would for regular pancakes, oiled but not too greasy IYKWIM.

You cook three at a time (I used a dessert spoon to put the mixture in the pan). Fry them until bubbles appear in the top, then flip them over and cook the other side. It takes about 3 minutes altogether. I made 12 medium sized pancakes from this batter.

The recipe said you could add a spoonful of lemon juice or vanilla essence, but I am also making for a 4 year old, so didn't bother.

I took some down to my friend's house, and they disappeared very quickly (they are my human guinea pigs ha ha), so it's not just ds and I that think they were yummy.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,678
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This will make you laugh - I needed bread today, but it was raining, so I wasn't keen on a trip out. I've made my own bread, but ds doesn't like it yet (he will, I just need to work on him, he's only 4). While I was working my way up to a trip out, I called in at my neighbours house with a couple of scotch pancakes for her to try.

My neighbour was wanting some porridge, but didn't have any oats. Due to her husband's shopping habits, she had plenty of bread. Thanks to Twink and the hobnobs, I had oats. We swapped some oats for some sliced bread :rotfl: and hey presto, my first NSD of September, yet I still have what I needed.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    CRANKY40 - bartering! :T and scotch pancakes added to the front page recipe list, thanks

Welcome to all the newbies :hello: and good luck for your first challenge! ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family