August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Any ideas for hat to do with a shed load of sliced gammon? I have about 15-20 slices but stupidly threw it all in to the freezer in one bag and forgot to seperate it meaning it will all have to be defrosted.......
    cc £1023.71
    loan £829.37
    overdraft £2500
  • Hiya guys,
    Having a rough time here with mr and mrs,:eek: good job I have HM meals ready in the freezer:D Chicken caserole pots and veg followed by Mr t's 2p angel delight:T
    Still not been to the shops as supermarket a la HWGA is still full:j

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just a quick update...i've got £80.98 food money left until 24th August...12 days, i'm really pleased so far with that.
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Hi elf
    if you have powdered milk you can make condensed milk
    I got this off the net somewhere, will admit I haven't tried it yet but you might want to give it a go
    on the hob heat half a cup of water,1 cup of sugar and 3 tbsp of marg and a dash of salt. stir occasionally and when it comes to fully boiling remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then add a cup of powdered milk and whisk really well or it will go lumpy
    it should keep in the fridge for 2 weeks it says
    hope that helps
    Lollyfin
    ps what are fifteens, am totally clueless lol
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My bill came in at £48 at the weekend, so £8 over, totalling £8 over so far. I got £7 in Tesco vouchers, though, so hopefully those will help this week.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lollyfin wrote: »
    Hi elf
    if you have powdered milk you can make condensed milk
    I got this off the net somewhere, will admit I haven't tried it yet but you might want to give it a go
    on the hob heat half a cup of water,1 cup of sugar and 3 tbsp of marg and a dash of salt. stir occasionally and when it comes to fully boiling remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then add a cup of powdered milk and whisk really well or it will go lumpy
    it should keep in the fridge for 2 weeks it says
    hope that helps
    Lollyfin
    ps what are fifteens, am totally clueless lol

thanks for that - I dont have any powdered milk. I tried boiling some evaporated milk and some sugar together but not sure how well it worked! Will find out soon. the recipe for fifteens are at the start of this thread under the pudding bit. My gran used to make this but called it mallow roll but its the same thing - its yummy :D
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all :) Not doing as badly as usual so far at aiming for my budget -if I stay at the £30 for the next 2 weeks, I would only be about a fiver over which is fabulous for me :T ;):p. We did a lovely self-saucing pud from with larder stuff the other night so thought I would share what we did in case any of you guys get the choccy craving late in the evening and fancy a go... :D

I mixed together: about 2 tbsp veg oil, 100ml milk, 100g self raising flour, 25g cocoa powder, 100g granulated sugar and 1 tsp mixed spice. This was poured into a deep cereal bowl. I sprinkled 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp granulated sugar and a pinch of mixed spice over the top, followed by a splosh of hot water from the kettle (I would guess about 50ml). A plate went on top, and it was microwaved for 3 mins in an 850W mw oven. Very yum with thick organic cream... mmmmm....
    Love and compassion to all x
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Hi everyone - hope you are all well.;)

Thanks MRSMC - for the Blackberry Bake recipe, off out into the Garden in a moment to pick some blackberries to make this for Pud tonight.:D

Dinner tonight will be Sausages, mash, carrots, cabbage and loads of gravy, pudding will be as mentioned above.;)

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but Iceland are now selling 4 pints of milk for £1 and Lidl's are going to be sellling 400g packs of Mature Cheddar from Monday 17th Aug for only £1.29 (better make some room in the Freezer:rotfl:).

Off out into the Garden now to pick some Blackberries - have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Evening all

I was a tad naughty -and when we had to nip out this morning I popped into PLUS/NETTO and came out with a nice beef fillet joint -whoopsed to €4 :eek::j..... so I have cut 6x6oz steaks off the rounder end and cut the pointy end up and bagged in 2x8oz lots which I plan to use to make some pasties later this week :T
    oooohhh and I had to go to the post ofice on camp -which meant walking past the blackberries that we picked 4lb from on Monday and so we picked another 2lb that were ready :jand as hubby has a medical in the same building on Monday -guess what I will be doing to pass the time? ;) -there should be loads more ready by then :D -so now, as well as the blackberry bake slices I made and froze yesterday -I have 7x8oz bags of berries frozen too :D
    Scotsaver -the blackberry bake is nice warm -with ice cream on :drool:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • hi All
    well 12 days in and have spent £88.56 from my total (will update in a mo). Got lots of meat from Lidl for BBQ - pork steaks, chicken drumsticks. 30 approx coming to BBQ next weekend, so have shopping list and baking list.
    will be making my 2 favourite dishes - and enough spare for the guests to take home with them!!!
    Russian salad and coleslaw

Russian salad
    1 can of tuna (either oil or brine - personal taste)
    1lb potatoes (i use new ones)
    1/2 lb carrots
    1/2 cup of sweetcorn (frozen or tinned)
    1/2 cup of mayonaise
    1/2 cup of peas (frozen or fresh)
    1 medium red onion
    3 eggs
    salt
    Boil potatoes, carrots and eggs. peel and dice into small cubes. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Add salt to taste. put in the fridge for 30 minutes prior to serving. Can be made the day before the event.

Coleslaw - I make loads of this
    1 bag carrots
    3-4 large onions
    1 cabbage
    2-3 apples
    2 jars of mayonnaise (large ones)
    black pepper (I use pepper mill)

Shred or chop all ingredients (I usually chop finely cos I like chunky coleslaw)
    mix in the mayo, add pepper to taste then put in fridge.

Hope you like them if you try the recipes
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills