School days recipes

Comments

• Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think in those days they liked you to go home for lunch really, maybe the meals were meant to act as a deterrent! I only stayed dinners very occasionally if my mum had a hospital appointment or something, unfortunately a disproportionate number of those occasions seemed to feature the hideous cheese pie and tinned toms for lunch!
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    moggylover wrote: »
    The cook from your school needed sacking them because at both my primary and senior schools it was a truly beautiful egg and cheese flan and was so popular that there was never any left for seconds:(.

The only thing I hated was the salad that had grated carrot and peanuts on it! I didn't like nuts as a child at all, and still do not much care for grated carrot although I love cooked ones.
    Oh moggylover, I forgot about the carrot and nut salad. I'm perhaps a little sad but I loved it. It's now 2.00am but I feel a sudden yearning to make it - right now! How come you all had this pastry based pie? Ours was like a cheese based mash.
    Mash potatoes with butter, milk and cream (never allowed now)
    Add diced onion
    Stir in loads of cheddar cheese (probably not allowed now as well)
    Put in dish and put under the grill till browned and crispy
    Eat
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My sister and I went to a sort of boarding school where the food was so poor when we had lunch served at day-school it was like eating at the Dorchester. They served that molten-lava cheese pie thing as well and it was one of our favourites. I'd forgotten all about it until I read this thread. Oh, happy days!

The boarding school's idea of a suitable evening meal on the cook's day off was cold tinned tomatoes served with cold pilchards. Sorry that was one cold pilchard. Mind you, I think it stood us in good stead, we were never, ever faddy eaters after that. We still aren't.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,657
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can anyone remember pease pudding ? Does it still exist?
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Quillion
    Quillion Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2009 at 8:55AM
    Adele from Sheffield
    Here is the cheese pie recipe, hope you enjoy (my mother in law used to work in the school kitchens):
    8oz plain flour
    2oz butter
    2oz lard
    1 small onion
    2 eggs beaten into half pint milk
    loads of cheese (mature red is best)
    Method: rub the flour and fat to form breadcrumbs add a little water to make a dough, roll out and place in flan dish, blind bake for about 10 mins.
    Remove from oven, add chopped onion and grate cheese until flan dish full (about half a pound) pour in egg and milk mix, cook in oven for about 30 mins at 160. Voila school cheesepie.

and

Isa Lancashire Lass, Derbyshire
    The great school cheese pie of the 1970s recipe.Yes - I think I've cracked it. I made this last night and the taste and texture match what I remember. Use a rectangular brownie tin to make it inLine the tin with pastry and up the sides. Mix 5 ozs grated mature cheddar (or cheese to your liking) with approx 10 ozs cottage cheese, 1 whole medium egg, 4 ozs milk. Bake blind the pastry alone for 10 mins at 210 oC. Pour in cheese mix and cook in oven at 170 oC (fan oven) may need 180 oC/190 oC for non-fan oven) for approx 30 mins or until top is set and golden. This pie has the lumpy (from the cottage cheese), tangy feel that I recall. It passed the family taste test. Enjoy.

Will have to just try both xx

Not pregnanat Toots just the Food !!!!!! again lol apparantly its quite a common side effect.
    :beer: Officially Debt Free Nov 2012 :beer:
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    [QUOTE=Pont;21804101]Oh moggylover, I forgot about the carrot and nut salad. I'm perhaps a little sad but I loved it. It's now 2.00am but I feel a sudden yearning to make it - right now! How come you all had this pastry based pie? Ours was like a cheese based mash.
    Mash potatoes with butter, milk and cream (never allowed now)
    Add diced onion
    Stir in loads of cheddar cheese (probably not allowed now as well)
    Put in dish and put under the grill till browned and crispy
    Eat[/QUOTE]

Not at all sad! Just personal taste. I'm not (and have never been) a particularly fussy eater as long as the food is well prepared but I preferred my salad without those bits. I actually had the audacity to put it to the school cook (back around 1970!!!!) and she started serving the salads in separate sections and found that a lot of the kids took to it better that way, although the presentation did not look as pretty as the trays with everything on them did.

I am amazed at some of the things they do not put on the menu at school nowadays tbh, and remember the cooking at both of my schools as being very good (but then they WERE proper trained cooks in those days and my mother worked in another school where the cook was also extremely good). We did not get all the "choices" that todays kids get: but I actually think that was a good thing and must certainly have made the budget easier to meet/beat with less wastage and also prevented the situation my son complains about which is that often those on the later sittings cannot get the meal they would have chosen (especially on Roast day) because the earlier sittings have already scoffed it:D.

Having said this, both my kids like the school meals at their school and they do appear to be reasonably healthy choices most of the time. I'm not in favour of excluding things like cheese and butter because they "may" be fattening for those kids who choose not to get enough exercise: I think there are better ways to deal with this and that a good diet contains all that nature provides and little that man has messed with;).

We got good basic food in my day (albeit it seems from this thread that some of the cooks were not quite as good as they should have been) and very few kids were overweight. I personally think that the schools are not to blame for the weight problems anyway and that the over-abundance of fizzy junk drinks and crisps and snacks in many homes are the worst culprits, amply aided by the lack of physical exercise that was taken for granted in my day (like walking to school:D).

I remember a particular favourite in our school were sort of meatballs containing rice which for some reason we all called "hedgehogs". They were quite seasoned for those day and were another one of those where there were seldom any seconds:( but I have never been able to re-create these either.

Ah the memories, liver and bacon in onion gravy, syrup sponge and custard, treacle tart, the cheese flan. Getting hungry now:D
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • queenpig
    queenpig Posts: 419 Forumite
    gizmo111 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember pease pudding ? Does it still exist?

In school dinners I don't know, but it still does exist...you can buy it in the chillers in Asda or at least I got mine from there today. Maybe its a regional thing though I'm from Tyne & Wear? xx
    Grocery Challenge. £400. - £35.22 + £19.80 + £109.01 = £164.03
    Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)£11.97 + £1.19 + £7.36 + £69.00 + £38.50 + £5.50 + £23.00 +£2.00 = £158.52:shocked::sad:
  • sidefx
    sidefx Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Pont wrote: »
    Oh no in our school cheese pie was wonderful. Nothing like quiche, no pastry. Ours was fluffy mashed potato, buttery with melted cheese and onion mixed in. It was so molten it took the roof of your mouth off - but it was just beautiful. I attempt to make it for my tenagers now - they love it, but to me it never tastes as good as when I was 8 or 9 years of age.

I remember having something like that :)

it was :drool:
  • Quillion wrote: »

Isa Lancashire Lass, Derbyshire
    The great school cheese pie of the 1970s recipe.Yes - I think I've cracked it. I made this last night and the taste and texture match what I remember. Use a rectangular brownie tin to make it inLine the tin with pastry and up the sides. Mix 5 ozs grated mature cheddar (or cheese to your liking) with approx 10 ozs cottage cheese, 1 whole medium egg, 4 ozs milk. Bake blind the pastry alone for 10 mins at 210 oC. Pour in cheese mix and cook in oven at 170 oC (fan oven) may need 180 oC/190 oC for non-fan oven) for approx 30 mins or until top is set and golden. This pie has the lumpy (from the cottage cheese), tangy feel that I recall. It passed the family taste test. Enjoy.

Will have to just try both xx

Not pregnanat Toots just the Food !!!!!! again lol apparantly its quite a common side effect.

DROOL! I think I will definitely have to give thjat one a try, it sounds delicious (and simple, which is a must)
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target £8000
    Amount: £562.23
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    queenpig wrote: »
    In school dinners I don't know, but it still does exist...you can buy it in the chillers in Asda or at least I got mine from there today. Maybe its a regional thing though I'm from Tyne & Wear? xx
    I think it may be a regional thing, my son has moved down to London and can never find any in the shops so when he comes home he always takes some back down with him. All the supermarkets and most butchers sell it up here.

We call it "Geordie Hummus"! :rotfl:
    Dum Spiro Spero
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family