February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• KITTY_2-2
    KITTY_2-2 Posts: 263 Forumite
    I was looking for a way to use up some apples which had seen better days and I found this microwave cake recipe so thought I'd give it a try. It took longer in my microwave to cook on medium high and came out more like a sponge pudding than a cake. Tastes good though and we’re having it with custard after tea!

Microwave Autumn Apple Cake

175g self raising flour
    175g sugar
    175g butter, softened
    3 eggs
    3 tbspns milk or plain yoghurt
    4 large apples, peeled and sliced into thick chunks
    1 tbspn caster sugar
    1 tspn cinnamon

Place all the flour, sugar, butter, eggs and milk or yoghurt into a large mixing bowl. Beat until mixture is well combined and light and fluffy.
    Line a large 30cm shallow cake pan with baking paper (make sure the pan can go in the microwave)
    Spread the cake mixture over the paper, then top with apples slices, in neat circles.
    Combine the caster sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle over the apples.

Cook in a combination oven 200 degrees c of heat with microwave MEDIUM LOW power (350 watts) for 10 - 12 minutes, or on the CRISP function of the Whirlpool Jet chef JT355 oven on the crisp function for 10 minutes, in the crisp plate
    The cake can also be cooked in a microwave oven for 7 - 8 minutes on MEDIUM HIGH power.

From Whirlpool recipe site
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • milliejo
    milliejo Posts: 318 Forumite
    as posted on Januarys list total for January is £321.26

Please put me down for £320 IN FEBRUARY
  • First spend of the month £72.81 that from MR Ts,Aldi,Homebargins and Poundland,I 've planned meals for next 2 weeks going to try harder this month.:rolleyes:
    Save £4500 in 2014
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello,
    My first time on the grocery challenge!

Please put me down for £150 which is to cover 2 adults (3 if step-son moves in temorarily) one baby and at least one 3 course dinner party for 4.
  • *Mari*
    *Mari* Posts: 473
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    My total for Jan was 220.54 so am going to go for 200.00 for Feb Please Mrs M :D

Thanks

Mari xx
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well been to the market today and bought 1.5lbs stewing meat some kidney (these are to make a S&k pie with a suet crust)
    1.5lb chicken breast (to make chicken korma and rice
    1lb of lambs liver (just need some bacon to go with this)

It all came to £10.40p which is 3 meals for 7 of us,
    21 meals in all.

Need to do a MrM shop tomorrow so will add that on then.

Thank you rosieben for the link to Twinks hobnobs,they are the ones I used to make I just double the quantity as there are so many of us, these WILL be made tomorrow.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Hi
    Not posting much at the moment but still great to have my target written down so that I have to keep to it!!!!
    Cant beleve it is still Jan and we are on page 11!
    Mrs M
    Total for Jan £99.64
    could you put me down for £100 again in Feb please
    Thanks to everyone who sorts this site you do such a good job:T .

Good luck everyone
    Challenge 2 adults food and household.
    2009 £1214.37
    Target for 2010 £1250
  • evening all,

first spend of the month, £27.34 in MrT, did spend a little in m&s but used a gift card so i'm not going to include that in my total, as i wouldn't have bought anything in there if i hadn't had the gift card!!

have been reading the "it's tough now" thread and there is a link to thriftladys choc fudge pudding.... :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: just about covers it!

i think we have enough meat and pulses to last a month or two ;) and should only need bread, i've dropped off from making as much as i never seem to have the time at the moment. i really must try and get a routine going on the weekends..:whistle:

take care all

ioiwe
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello everyone.

Wow I can't believe we are up to page 11 and it isn't Feb till tomorrow:)

I have done my BIG Asda shop (being delivered Monday) - £200.13, so hopefully I can just top up each week with milk fruit and veg.

Although I need to double check it before 5pm tomorrow and make sure I have included everything I need/want.

Good Luck everybody.

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • Thanks for adding me to the list. I'm going to be doing the same as Flylady and taking my £100 out in cash tomorrow. I think it will make me much more aware of what I'm spending if I can see the money physically being spent rather than just numbers in my bank account. Good luck everyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge - #590
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport