Coolmum66 Posts: 145
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all

Please count me back in this month

Setting budget at £180

Thanks!

Coolmum. xx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 £8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - £200 target
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Ok first recipe/photo post. Not one of my cheapest meals, but it was so delicious i thought i'd post it anyway :)

Fed 2 adults and 2 children with a bit spare. If you put rice with this aswell as the parathas then it would go even further :)

For the curry

2 x lamb neck fillets - £2.19
    3 x onions - £0.25 approx
    5 x cloves garlic - £0.08p approx
    1.5 huge flat musrooms - £0.75
    2tsp vindaloo powder - £0.05
    2tblsp tandoori powder - £0.15
    2tsp cumin powder - £0.05
    2tsp coriander powder - £0.05
    2tsp dried coriander - £0.05
    1/2 tube tomato puree - £0.24
    1 sachet patak's creamed coconut - £0.25
    2tblsp oil - £0.05

chop anything that needs chopping. fry the onions and mushrooms. add the lamb. then the spices and garlic. stir it all up, then add the tomato puree and a splash of water to make a sauce. add the sachet of creamed coconut, then bung in a casserole dish and bake in the oven for an hour on about 180c. serve on top of the paratha.

For the paratha

plain flour (i used about 100g for us 4, so roughly 5p)
    pinch of salt
    water to mix into a dough
    butter to spread between 'roll-outs' (i used about 50g so roughly 26p)

£4.47p for the whole thing :)

For directions on the parathas please see this thread (post number 4), as it's not my recipe - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=314158

sholatillyhermessybedroom2650-1.jpg
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi all

I think I have everyone so far -But can everyone please remember to post their targets in LARGE - BOLD -or COLOURED FONT ...just saves me having to read every word
    Thanks
    Back again... BEKKI -are you able to shrink the photos down or use links ? only I know some readers struggle with their PCs when the pages stretch..lovely looking food by the way :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    oh wow! yeaaaah i resized! never been able to do that before lol :o
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    what do pseople put in there sausage casserole?? in slow cooker

Also what do i use to make my own sauce .. as i find the tesco jar of sausage casserole tends to reduce in slow cooker and im out all day tomorrow
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    what do pseople put in there sausage casserole?? in slow cooker

Also what do i use to make my own sauce .. as i find the tesco jar of sausage casserole tends to reduce in slow cooker and im out all day tomorrow
    I put a tin of tomatoes, a tin of beans (optional), some potatoes, two or three tomato cans of stock depending on how many pots & a good dash of worcestershire sauce. Its always yummy & smells so good when I get in :D
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    I put a tin of tomatoes, a tin of beans (optional), some potatoes, two or three tomato cans of stock depending on how many pots & a good dash of worcestershire sauce. Its always yummy & smells so good when I get in :D

what is tomato cans of stock???
    i have no worcestershire sauce
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    what is tomato cans of stock???
    i have no worcestershire sauce

I think its filling up the empty tomato can full of stock......either hm stock or cube!!!
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • leed
    leed Posts: 184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Try putting a lightly fried chopped onion into the slow cooker with sausages, then tin chopped tomatoes, some carrots (say one or two per person), a (beef or veg) stock cube, salt, pepper, sprinkle of mixed herbs and some hot water (not too much but enough to cover ingredients). If slow cooker is heated before putting food in then they will start cooking straight away.
    You could also put in any veg you might have - turnip (sorry Swede if you live south of Yorkshire! - I am a geordie and the purple things are turnips to me), peppers, mushrooms, leeks, peas, sweetcorn...!
    When it is all cooked and you are just about ready to eat, you might like to thicken the liquid with a dessert spoonful of flour mixed in a little water put this in a pan and added some of the liquid from the slow cooker, heat until flour cooks and thickens, corn flour can also be used. Return thickened mixture to sausage mixture, taste and reseason with salt if needed - be careful not to over season as more salt can be added on the plate.
    Enjoy!:rotfl:
  • I will declare January at £300 :( which is far over my original budget of £250 so I will retry for £250 for Feb as its a shorter month and I am going to try and meal plan roughly for the whole month and see how I go :rolleyes:

Thanks Mrs Mc :T
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure