Packed Lunch for work

Comments

• Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    Wirenth wrote:
    Good luck Joannaclaire. £700 :eek:

I think most people find it easiest to take leftovers from the night before into work, rather than making up something from scratch to eat. Maybe making more for dinner might help?

I find this works very well - I've got into the habit if dh can take leftovers putting them straight into the box for him as I'm serving everyone and if he can't (as where he works changes daily) I box them up for my lunch - or the kids. They were thrilled to get lasagna for lunch the other day <G>

At the moment as he is moving around so much Dh takes in sandwiches, tupperware pots of yogurt (from a big bulk buy one), small box of dried fruit, fresh fruit/veggies/salad bits. Occasional HM cakes/brownies/cookies and packets of crisps.

I like to make up a large recipe of soup and then pull a portion out for lunch and add bits in - a thick veggie soup over cous cous or pasta is lovely, or add in more beans/left over veggies/meat to make a stew etc. Very easy to do - if you remember at the weekend or even as you are cooking dinner, you are already chopping and stirring <G>
  • crazy_guy
    crazy_guy Posts: 823 Forumite
    I've been slowly been making tea from scratch and have enjoyed the taste of home made food - many thanks to the many ideas here!

But what i am still stuck on is what can i have for lunch as the choice seems very limited.

I've had soup and pitta bread
    Sandwiches, yoghurt etc

And simply getting very bored and know many of you will have much more original ideas :)
  • tsstss7
    tsstss7 Posts: 1,255
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi crazy guy are we talking at work (ie packed) lunches? Or are you stuck for scratch meals to make for lunch? I have had the same problem for both!!! Dont fancy eating too much at lunch time so nearly always go for the light (quick) lunch ....am on sardines and oat cakes at the mo.

As for packed lunches here are a few of my past ideas

Pasta Salad- Cook pasta drain, put in grated cheese while still hot mix with mayo and cold veggies of chioce. yum ,
    Cold Pizza, (leftovers!)
    filled pittas,
    rice salad,

all accompanied by healthy snacks of fruit, salad veg, etc of course.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    :j
    First DD
    First DD born in june:beer:.
  • dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Chicken broth.
    Chicken breasts (browned first), frozen peas, sliced carrots, leeks and any other veg all boiled up in veg stock until nice and soft. Add some rice, bring to boil, simmer until rice well cooked.
    Nice cheap, filling healthy meal, and you can freeze leftovers which can come in handy for a day where you may not have time to cook! :)

Omelettes are also cheap and healthy. Bung in lots of mushrooms, onions and peppers etc!!
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• crazy_guy
    crazy_guy Posts: 823 Forumite
    tsstss7 wrote:
    hi crazy guy are we talking at work (ie packed) lunches? Or are you stuck for scratch meals to make for lunch? I have had the same problem for both!!!.

I've also had problems with both, there are many ideas for tea but for dinner i am stuck!

What did you feel pitta's with?

Omelettes is another good idea - :D
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Tuna Melts are always nice for lunch. Mix a drained can of tuna with some mayonaise and spread about 1/2 inch thick on slices of freshly toasted bread. Top with grated cheese and place under the grill until the cheese is all melted and just beginning to brown. It's really nice served with a little side salad.
  • Quiches are very easy to make and you can use up whatevers in the fridge. We have baked spuds, beans or egg on toast, soups, leftovers from night/day before. HM potatoe salad with bacon. Rice salads or pasta salads are nice and easy and very tasty. Toasted sarnies are nice too. Sausage rolls or scotch eggs.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    crazy_guy wrote:

But what i am still stuck on is what can i have for lunch as the choice seems very limited.

Speaking as regards work, I have long since gone off the traditional 'packed lunch' in favour of something a little more original.

Leftovers of any kind are good, already mentioned have been cold pizza slices, another good one along these lines are homemade pizzas either on granary baguette or wholemeal pitta breads, we often have these for tea and save some for lunch the next day.

Anything to dip in (homemade) hummus is a winner, I like pittas but also vegetable batons depending on what you like, eg carrots, cucumber, broccoli, peppers, that kind of thing.

Crackers with homemade nut butters, simply toast some chopped nuts and whizz them in the food processor with a couple of teaspoons of oil and a handful of raisins - adjust oil according to how spreadable you like it.

Homemade soup, you can make this for tea and use leftovers for lunch, I like a good veggie one (but there again am veggie so that would explain that!) tinned tomatoes and red lentils with veggie stock makes an excellent base along with whatever else you want to throw in.

My winner is veggie chilli, again you can throw in pretty much whatever you want and I imagine a meat chilli wouldn't be that much different except using mince instead of vegemince. You can bulk it out with mixed beans instead of just kidney beans, mixed peppers and so on, and you can serve this with loadsa stuff, rice being most obvious but you can also put it in wraps. I think chilli tastes better after a day or so anyway which is why I like to use leftovers.
    Dealing with my debts!
    Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
    balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
    Now @ 703.63
  • some great idea's here - I will be sending my son pack lunches for work now - I will just show him this thread so he can get idea's on what to take coz he has just realized that taking something in for lunch saves him a fortune:beer:
    became debt free December 06
  • Evening everyone

I'm at a total loss now the weather has changed as to what to eat for lunch at work. I'm trying to lose my muffin top :rotfl: and usually have sandwiches, wraps and quiche/salad for lunch but am craving something warm and filling now its getting colder.

I usually work 2/3 days out of the office on site but when at the office, I have use of a fridge, microwave and toaster. I'm not a fussy eater but don't have a BM, SC or blender so can't make bread, stews or soups easily - any ideas?
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure