'1731, 2033, 9854' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Read Martin's '1731, 2033, 9854' Blog.

Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• Dizie
    Dizie Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I've started to cup my other hand round the card machine and then do what you've said. When I paid in Boots the other day, the chap behind me tutted and said "Strewth love, its not like we're going to watch your pin or anything", to which I replied, "Well why are you watching my hands then?".

I started doing this after paying in an empty post office with my 3 year old sat on the counter, as I put my pin number in, she read the numbers out! Bless her....!
  • Simon_c_2
    Options
    Ever since I decided it was no longer worth the effort of getting chip & sign cards (it takes a lot of phone calls and letters, and then some places don't accept them easily) I've got into the habit of putting my wallet over the pin device while I enter the pin with three fingers over the entire row of keys.

I just wish the pads were all the same design. Sometimes it's difficult to know if the top row is function keys or numbers.
  • spandit
    spandit Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simon_c wrote: »
    Ever since I decided it was no longer worth the effort of getting chip & sign cards (it takes a lot of phone calls and letters, and then some places don't accept them easily) I've got into the habit of putting my wallet over the pin device while I enter the pin with three fingers over the entire row of keys.

I just wish the pads were all the same design. Sometimes it's difficult to know if the top row is function keys or numbers.

The best bet is to go for the "5", as all chip and pin handsets (and incidentally almost all keypads) have some sort of bump on them, making it easier to find the other numbers.
    If you find my post helpful please press the THANKS button.
  • phil-99
    phil-99 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I cover the PIN pad with my wallet, am continually astonished by the number of people who enter their PIN in plain sight. Sometimes want to tell them - but how?
  • carolemscott
    Options
    It's scary how blase people are about their own financial and personal security. It's great advice Martin and I'll feel less self conscious covering my hand (which I always do)!
  • RossGoodman
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. My youngest tried to spot my PIN, he got 2 out of the 4 numbers.
    Ever since, I cover my hand with my wallet, it's out anyway so I may as well use it !
  • jmclusky
    jmclusky Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure I've ever seen anyone else shield their PIN properly other than at cash machines. I've always done so and have even had 'Ooh, that's a good idea' comments from sales staff a couple of times.
  • jagu
    jagu Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Let's be realistic about this. How many cases can anyone quote where this has happened? Just because we can imagine it happening doesn't mean it's a real risk.

You say "One more common form of card crime is watching the pin number then mugging someone for the card once they know the number". How common exactly? Let's have some evidence.
  • kyh
    kyh Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    jagu wrote: »
    Let's be realistic about this. How many cases can anyone quote where this has happened? Just because we can imagine it happening doesn't mean it's a real risk.

You say "One more common form of card crime is watching the pin number then mugging someone for the card once they know the number". How common exactly? Let's have some evidence.

Admittedly at a cashpoint but my mother (70) had her card stolen about 2 months ago. 2 individuals behind her, it appears, one watching the numbers she put in and the other watching her card. As she was waiting for her card to come out one of them tapped her on the shoulder and asked if she had dropped a £5 note - as she bent down to pick it up thinking it had come out of her pocket the other took her card. She noticed almost immediatley and managed to get into her bank within 15 minutes to stop the card. By this time they had already taken £200 from her account and would have taken more if she didn't have a daily limit oon cash withdrawals. Luckily the bank staff were excellent shame we couldn't say that about the very unhelpful PCSO at the local station who tried to tell her a crime hadn't been committed:eek:
  • IcklePickle_2
    Options
    I hold my purse in my left hand over the top of my right hand which is pushing the buttons.

Started doing this only a few weeks ago when there was a post on the Credit Card forum about a poor lady who fell victim to people watching her enter pin number. They stole her bag, withdrew £500 cash and the bank wouldn't accept it was a crime, because she's responsible for inadvertently giving them the PIN.

Scary stuff.

And an easy way-out for Credit Card companies to stop them having to pay compensation. Unless of course you take out their 'fraud insurance'.
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1114
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts':cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family