Any ideas for picnic food??

Comments

• sarahmelita
    sarahmelita Posts: 167 Forumite
    Thanks for all the ideas - hadn't thought of a BBQ, really like the idea and the lasagne sheets sound very exciting!
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love picnics on the beach. A Melton Mowbray Pork Pie, Honey Roast Ham, Soft Rolls and a salad, sandwiched between a couple of bottle of chilled Chardonay does it for me every time.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We always take a flask of boiling water and a carton of milk so that we can make cups of tea too! I don't like to put the ready made tea in the flask, boiling water is better and the tea is fresh!
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A bump because I'm going on a picnic on Sunday and I need some ideas. I've never organised one before.

H E L P !!!
  • My fav is to take a disposable BBQ with me . Prepare lots of kebabs on sticks using peppers, onions, mushrooms, chicken, cherry tomatoes or anything that you have to hand. Serve with salad and pitta bread, and dips.

If taking kids just take burgers, sausages, bread rolls and relish they taste so much nicer on a bbq.

corn on the cob is delicious on barbie.

strawberries chopped up and folded in to thick cream laced with cointreau is amazing.

My kids love bananas on barbie . split the skin along the edge fill with chocolate buttons then place on barbie with skin on. Yummy on their own but even better with cream
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

strawberries chopped up and folded in to thick cream laced with cointreau is amazing.

Love the sound of this!
  • Trust me its fandabbydozzy
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    HM Coleslaw
    chicken legs
    HM scotch eggs
    HM cakes
    HM lemonade
    Chipolatas
    Sandwiches
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    I'm really boring with picnics now. We used to waste lots of food by taking too much and it never got eaten and by the time you got home at the end of the day it was all squished.

Anyway, my point is, I now make everybody an individual packed lunch and then chuck the whole lot in a cooler bag. :D

Its loads cheaper and if I'm feeling generous ;) I'll chuck in a few extra goodies but generally its just sandwiches/wraps or rolls, a yogurt, crisps, a couple of pieces of fruit each and a cake or choccy bar.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been asked or is somewhere else but I get a bit confused with the O/S board and all the links!

Has anyone got any suggestions for cheap and cheerful food to take on a picnic? Its a friend's birthday in April and she's invited some of us to go on a day trip to the Isle of Bute. Yay!

To keep the costs down, we are hoping to take picnicy stuff with us - has anyone got any O/S picnic suggestions for me to make that will travel well (no coolbox) - to keep me from the Marks and Spencers food outlet at Edinburgh Waverley station and spending an obscene amount of money!

Thanks in advance

scottishspendaholic x
    MBNA = £4,000 / Next = £925 (approx. tbc on 19/8)
    Tesco = £2,910.11 / Smile overdraft = £500
    Bank of Scotland = £2,782.83
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family