Freecycle (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• judderman62
    judderman62 Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    Options
    welshsue wrote: »
    I am actually a moderator one one of the freecyle groups and have now started to reject the excessive wants.
    It got to the point where people were asking for specific models of cars and laptops( someone even asked for one to replace one lost on a train - have they not heard of insurance!) 3 seater leather sofa in cream and basically everything to furnish a house including carpets!!

The latest wants seem to be sky plus boxes (I believe these are being asked for as they can sell them on), as if anyone is going to give one of them away.

It seems to be worse around christmas time as people try and obtain their presents for free. We had one instance where a couple were going round in a white van collecting freecycle items and selling them on. They were even bragging about how much they made! banned immediately...

I do reject an awful lot now and sometimes get abusive emails from these people as they can't see what they have done wrong.

Sad when something as good as freecycle attracts people who think they can make money out of it.

sadly I think some moderators bring it upon the freecycle movement.

I remember a while back FC was featured in the local free paper - and the article actually contained the phrase "Why buy things when you can pick them up for free" on reading this my heart sank , thinking about the wanted posts I'd already seen for expensive/luxury items and how this article would see an increase in such posts.

Our Mod was highly delighted with the article !!! :confused::confused: - I was less so - is it any wonder, with articles stating that phrase, that we get wanteds for laptops, wii games etc, etc
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    RE the "Want" for nappies. Am appalled by someone begging on Freecycle for items that will eventually contribute to overloading landfill- don't they see the irony / how fundamentally wrong this is?
    But if someone else already has disposable nappies that their child is now too big for / successfully weaned then surely the best thing is to give them to someone else. Otherwise they're going to end up in landfill anyway.

We have tried reusable nappies on numerous occaisions. In general we find it too much hard work, too many nappy changes, too inconvenient when out, too time consuming, etc, etc. At times it has worked for us when we've really made the effort, and we hate the fact that half our household landfill is nappies, but it just doesn't work most of the time.
    We make up for it in other ways - recycling, freecycle, etc - and our landfill (despite the nappies) is less than an average household with no toddlers.
  • YummyMummyBigBummy
    Options
    hula-hoops- Sorry mate, I didn't mean to cause upset :o
    But it does sound as if these people are the very kind of person that could do with a bit of guidance.
    I don't see much point in moaning about something if I'm not prepared to do something about it, so I stand by my pledge to try and help people in other ways rather than just giving them stuff that they've asked for, whether they're on the blag or not.
    It may just give them the message that there is more to Freecycle than just getting free stuff; it should be about community and recycling as we all know, and there's more than one way for Freecycle to achieve those aims IMHO.
    Again, sorry if I caused upset, genuinely did not mean to.
    Never put off to tomorrow what you know you can do today.
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    LMAO, this appeared on todays Digest...

i'm tempted it's got to be said!
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • niknaknoo1982
    Options
    With regards to the person pleading for nappies... Well i've 2 in nappies myself and yes it does cost a lot, I always make sure we have enough for the essentials as any responsible parent does, and sometimes, when times are hard, I have sacrificed my own things, such as jewellery - sold to cash convertors, to get by if i knew we were going to run short of anything. I would have been so tempted to tell the person to go pawn the pc in and stop being so irresponsible!!
    If google doesn't know it, how should i?
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    I think freecycle is great and we've been getting into it for a while now. We've offered a large brand new Bestway swimming pool, coats, cushions, a 8' x 6' garden shed, bubble wrap, large cardboard boxes for moving, plants, a stairgate for toddlers and so it goes on...

We've received some jeans for the wife, washable trainer pants for our eldest, a ton of logs, large box of books, videos, cd's etc etc... I think it's great but idt does make me laugh when you see, as was posted last night, requests for:

furniture for a whole house (no please or thank you)
    Anyone got a xbox they don't use?
    Laptop wanted (???)

Or sob stories like:

Please let me have it (for the swimming pool) have airtritits (their spelling) and so do my 6 kids and we need it 4 summer and 2 help us exercise... (yeah right)

Or emails just saying:

i want it, when can i collect? (again no manners)

We just bin those requests and usually pick out the one who's the most polite.....
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• judderman62
    Options
    RHYSDAD wrote: »
    I think freecycle is great and we've been getting into it for a while now. We've offered a large brand new Bestway swimming pool, coats, cushions, a 8' x 6' garden shed, bubble wrap, large cardboard boxes for moving, plants, a stairgate for toddlers and so it goes on...

We've received some jeans for the wife, washable trainer pants for our eldest, a ton of logs, large box of books, videos, cd's etc etc... I think it's great but idt does make me laugh when you see, as was posted last night, requests for:

furniture for a whole house (no please or thank you)
    Anyone got a xbox they don't use?
    Laptop wanted (???)

Or sob stories like:

Please let me have it (for the swimming pool) have airtritits (their spelling) and so do my 6 kids and we need it 4 summer and 2 help us exercise... (yeah right)

Or emails just saying:

i want it, when can i collect? (again no manners)

We just bin those requests and usually pick out the one who's the most polite.....

oh that one is easy ... never ... move on
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    oh that one is easy ... never move on

Oh, this is where you hang out. not good enough for the SW thread now? ;)
  • judderman62
    Options
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    Oh, this is where you hang out. not good enough for the SW thread now? ;)

oooh I have another stalker :j :T :kisses2:
    Do little and often
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    And there was me thinking you only had me :(:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business