November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    Ok just added up this week as won't need to buy anything tomorrow and its £139...so not bad . I have to say this is the first time in my life I have added up my food like this and kept receipts :D:D:D Some things take time !!
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • Moniker wrote: »

Has anyone got any ideas about using breadrumbs apart from freezing them for topping on gratins and making stuffing etc?

Thanks.

Moniker

I've got a recipe for a meatloaf that uses breadcrumbs to bulk it out as well as courgettes and carrots I think. I'll dig it out if that's the sort of thing you're after :) Other than that, I use breadcrumbs to add to HM burgers or rissoles or stuff like that :)
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • Well I have made 12 portions of mushroom soup from a box of Asda SP mushrooms for £1.16 so I'm quite chuffed with that. There would have been more had there not been a slight incident that nearly resulted in a trip to A&E. Needless to say, I have a rather red arm and can confidently state that boiling mushroom soup *$%!?% hurts! :)
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • JennyBee wrote: »
    I've got a recipe for a meatloaf that uses breadcrumbs to bulk it out as well as courgettes and carrots I think. I'll dig it out if that's the sort of thing you're after :) Other than that, I use breadcrumbs to add to HM burgers or rissoles or stuff like that :)

Yes please :D
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• Meatloaf (Weightwatchers recipe so 3.5 points per serving if you want to know!)

Serves 4

250g (9oz) turkey mince
    250g (9oz) fresh breadcrumbs
    1 large onion, grated
    2 courgettes, grated
    2 carrots, grated
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    1 egg, beaten
    sage or thyme, chopped (if you fancy it!)
    salt & black pepper

Preheat the over to gas mark 4/180C. Spray a 1 litre (1.75 pint) loaf tin with low fat cooking spray and line with baking parchment.
    Mix together all the ingredients and pack into the tin. Cover with a piece of foil and bake for 1 hour or until the loaf starts to shrink away from the sides of the tin. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to brown the top.
    Serve in slices. We normally have it with mash and peas!

According to the book you can also serve it cold.....but I've never tried it!
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • hI I am in again for November - can I have a budget of £90 please?? I managed to keep under for october so have reduced it a little as I am still not very good at this yet. I see other people's targets are a lot less than mine which worries me that i am wasting money (that i havent got to waste) - I havent got a lot in my 'basics' yet - I forgot to copy the lists you all gave me way back and sometimes when I go to make something i am missing an important ingredient! I havent mastered checking before shopping - although I do take a list and only buy whats on it.
    Still cant keep up with the thread!!!
    toots xx
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A bit late but I'm in, I need to, no school hols/excuses and need to empty the freezer fr xmas goodies. £300as it's a 5 week one for me. Thanks and good luck everyone.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Planning a much-reduced spend this month of only £100 to feed my family of four plus three dogs and three cats. May sound ambitious but we have cupboards, fridge and freezers bursting, and I really need to run stocks down. My house aint cluttered, but my store of food sure is. Anyway, updated sig to include halloween treats for the kids. £4.95!!! That's not planning for you....had to run to the corner shop! (well, wlk briskly, lets not get carried away!)
    November Grocery Challenge: £12.71/£100

Housekeeping for November: £220.51/£500
  • gillaman
    gillaman Posts: 90 Forumite
    First big shop of the month yesterday, and I'm hoping I won't have to set foot in a food shop now for a couple of weeks. I'm starting to use up freezer contents though so shall have to replace some things - mainly soups. I also went to my fave wholefood shop in town on Thursday and spent £8.60 on Dove organic flour and some Shipton Mill malted seeded flour and toothpaste. All more expensive than I should pay I know, but I rarely eat out, don't drink etc and only have me to please and answer to. Not technically November (well not at all November!) but I've taken this amount out of my November budget. If I don't shop again for two weeks, I've worked out that I'll have about £11 per week for the rest of the month to spend on f&v, milk etc.

Breadcrumbs: You could cook some fruit - apples are nice - and then fry the breadcrumbs in butter (a little or lots depending on whether you're dieting or not). You can add spices like cinnamon or clove to the fruit if you like. When the fruit and crumbs are cool, layer them together in dishes, chill in the fridge, and serve with whipped cream. HTH
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • HELLO

Probably in totally the wrong place. I recently bought several frozen meet joints (lamb) at bargain price

I have heard you can only keep frzen meat for 1 month....is this true or does it last longer potenitally?

thanks alot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport