October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

Right -think it was Scotsaver who asked for the stuffing recipe ... so basically you

HOMEMADE SAGE N ONION STUFFING RECIPE
    • chop and onion -as fine as you like (we like chunky)
    • place in a small pan and cover with water
    • stick the lid on cook until soft - you may need to add a bit more water
    • then throw in some salt, pepper and dried sage (or whatever herbs you like)
    • add breadcrumbs -again as fine as you like -I just rip it into chunks -and bash with a wooden spoon
    • you may need to add more liquid (depends if you want to make balls or just bake it in a dish)-an egg is great but not neccesary
    • you can also add a bashed up skinless sausage too
    Then you just bake, Its great for making into balls and freezing raw for making quick dinners ;) and if you put the sausage in its lovely for making chicken n stufing sandwiches..
    When I do it on dinners we have found that it has so much flavour that you need much less meat :T

I can't remember the last time I had shop stuffing and now have mum making her own and my niece refusing to eat SILs packet stuffing :rotfl:

Well Whilst im here... I had a hospital appointment this morning again -hubby found a free parking space to save us paying €2 :p .... Seems like next month I get to spend up to a week in the "bad place" -the hospital:eek: after my MRI the other week it seems I have a malformed brain :confused: so need the good old lumbar punctures n tests again :rolleyes: -then they will try and convince me that having a shunt fitted in my brain is a good idea :eek: -I don;t rate their chances ;) :rotfl: -Im not joking -they don't faff about here -turn up for an appointment -next thing you know they have you booked in for a weeks stay-non of this "we will get you an appointment" then 6 months later you might here something :rolleyes:
    so thats less food to buy (german hospital food is amazing -not to mention HUGE-plus you help yourslef to bottled water etc)-but i will make sure I make plenty of bread and meals hubby can just grab from the freezer..
    Can see me sat in bed now with my crochet like an old fart :T

Right -its chicken dinner tonight.using some roast chicken from the weekend -the rest is in the freezer.. so I had better get off

have a great evening all:D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,935
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm going to call it a day on the groceries for this month. I spent the £7.12 on special offers, have enough in to last the next week or so and have spent a total of £67.95 this month. By my own admission, I have bought stuff that I didn't NEED and I have stockpiled a couple of bargains, so I'm still convinced that I should be able to stay within budget for the year if I count in all my extra my Mr T vouchers that I've had to 'cash in' as my 'Deals' didn't work out as planned.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024

Spends to date: £632.45
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    good,afternoon all

just back from shopping and still addingit up as we went to thre cashncarryto get toilet rolls and cat food that cost me a fortune,,what with 8 cans of stout and some soap powder as well it came to £38.19
    then we went to MrS where it cost £12.80,,but which did include a couple of cream cakes for us for a treat,,and 3 for a £1 energy saving bulbs,, pl;us some store cupboard items so I can make baked beans and DH can nake somne more pick a lilly

we then went into Netto for tbags as they had typhoo 1100 for £8.99 asthey did not have any in the cash n carry and that came to £14.25
    so altogether it came to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek::eek:£
    [STRIKE]85.24[/STRIKE] :eek::eek: £65.84 thats better,,so I will adjust my signature and hope not to spend anymore til Sunday

See you soon

KAAT XX

ps,, It seems that I went all round but as we were going that way and all the shops were on the way back it did not cost us any more in petrol..in fact we probably saved fuel as now we wont have to go out again
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• OK, here we go.... 2 quick shops in Lidl & ASDA Friday & Saturday (started feeling ill on Friday - got worse all weekend & been off 'til today - on the mend now but still sniffly & tired).
    Good news was that ASDA had the Princes Extra Lean (I think it was - it's a brand label anyhow) Corned Beef with x% extra free - which makes it the same size tine as their own Smartprice tinned stuff - but t £1.08 a tin it's 10p cheaper! (I mentioned last month how much CB had gone up - Smartprice used to be 78p!!!!). So I bought 4 tins to stock up in my cupboard. Hence spent a little more than expected....

Amount spent so far £155.08, Balance left to spend £4.92 :eek:

....so I will probably be a little overspent by the end of the month, but TBH I'll only use one tin of CB before then, so £3.24 could be 'clawed back' if necessary.

I hit on a great idea today to stop me spending at the Supermarket! I only really need minced beef, 'butter' spread and a cheap white loaf for toasting (DH prefers Lidl cheap thick sliced white for toast, which we keep in the freezer and use slices as needed), so I asked my dear ol' mum to get me just those three things when she does her weekly shop today. That way I avoid visiting the shop and can't be tempted by any 'bargains'......

Other than that I'll need milk, potatoes & veg for the roast on Sunday, which I'll nip out for on Saturday. The stuff for the rest of the month's food-plan is all bought in already, so I may just about scrape in on budget.....
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Well Whilst im here... I had a hospital appointment this morning again -hubby found a free parking space to save us paying €2 :p .... Seems like next month I get to spend up to a week in the "bad place" -the hospital:eek: after my MRI the other week it seems I have a malformed brain :confused: so need the good old lumbar punctures n tests again :rolleyes: -then they will try and convince me that having a shunt fitted in my brain is a good idea :eek: -I don;t rate their chances ;) :rotfl: -Im not joking -they don't faff about here -turn up for an appointment -next thing you know they have you booked in for a weeks stay-non of this "we will get you an appointment" then 6 months later you might here something :rolleyes:
    so thats less food to buy (german hospital food is amazing -not to mention HUGE-plus you help yourslef to bottled water etc)-but i will make sure I make plenty of bread and meals hubby can just grab from the freezer..
    Can see me sat in bed now with my crochet like an old fart :T

I know this is not on topic, so feel free to delete if necessary, but just wanted to wish you well Mrs M - I wouldn't fancy a shunt either, but you should listen to them and maybe do some research before you go in - If it's that quick think I would want to know all the facts first... scary!:eek:

Hopefully it won't come to that, but at least you know it will be sorted quick - german efficiency at it's best eh! fingers crossed (and everything else) for you... x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Go a lot of whoopsies today. 2 small chickens at £1.66 each and 2 six packs of muller lite ygs for 88p each pack. Also found booze on offer. Guinness draught has a £1 voucher on it so that helps. Got a list of stuff we need for the garden but couldnt get and what we did get was expensive. 2 chickens in oven now-DH wants his to be chicken and pasta with a bolognese sauce. I ade cauliflower cheese with pasta earlier-it turned out very well.
    I used 2 onions,250g pasta,1 whole cauli,one tin campbells mushroom soup, 3 heaped desertspoons of cornflour, about a pint of milk and about half pint of water. Then I grated about 3 oz cheese-(Im guessing)Made loads-about 6 servings for about £2.50 The chickens are now in the oven and will end up in a variety of dishes over the next 2 days including soup with the carcasses which will be put into the sc tomorrow while Im at work.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well finally got my asda home shopping delivery note through the post today so can update my sig with the amount.When they delivered the shopping there was no note due to a computer malfunction and no-one could even tell me how much is was:eek: But it came in only slightly higher than it should be at £104 and I truly cant be bothered to complain as Asda are terrible they tell you you will be refunded but it never arrives:mad:

Mrs M I too think you should seriously reconsider the shunt as my hubbys sister had one fitted after suffering a brain haemorrage and has had no ill effects whatsoever and she doesnt have to take the horrid medication you have to take either.Its your decision though and I'm sure you'll make the best one for you

Lesleyxx
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi all, went to Asda today just for rolls or baps if you like, and ended up spending £8.20, add to this 42p for milk for work and my total new spendies top add to sig is £8.62. I forgot to make sandwiches for work but resisted temptation by eating loads of the free fruit they leave out for us. I should have made porridge as I took this in to work with pot ect. but took a long hot shower instead (love the shower in work). I,ve also been making the effort to get up 15 mins earlier and get the train in to work, which costs me nowt. I,ve been so good this week I,m sure I,ll sprout wings.

GOD LUCK MRS MAC xx
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Haven't updated for a while. It's been a funny month as I increased my budget...........and have ended up spending much less, so far anyway. Must be the way my mind works.
    I've really watched what I've bought and yesterday took a basket instead of trolley. Meals have been....creative......... and that has saved quite an amount on food.
    Can I be included for £130 next month please?
    Thanks
    w
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Evening everyone
    We've not been on much this month but continue with the challenge.
    We have £12 to last us to the end of the month!
    The freezers are full so just milk, bread and veg to get.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family