PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• jackk_2
    Options
    Originally Posted by jackk Hi all, just updating sig because i had to go to Asda this morning for pack lunch stuff for everyone, no more free school meals now me and OH are students, so from monday i'm needing to do pack ups for everyone. I'm hoping not to have to increase my budget because of this, but we will have to see hey. I have been looking on the pack lunch threads and have a few ideas to keep the costs down. Also for anyone who uses it, Asda are doing 2 for £1 on the Billingtons light and dark muscavado sugar, i needed some to turn my green toms into something yummy
    Jackie x

are you sure you dont qualify for free meals?
    surely you are on a low income then?

Hi Jinky67, sadly no i don’t qualify. To qualify you need to be in receipt of income support or jobseeker or have less than 15,000 coming in and in receipt of child tax credits. The thing is that although i get more income as a student, i have more to pay for so in actual fact i end up with less income :( .

Well the last few days have seen me knee deep in jars and recipe books
    I have made

3 large jars Mango Chutney
    10 jars Mincemeat
    5 jars pickles beetroot
    3 jars Red Pepper Relish

Can i have the recipe for the mango chutney and the red pepper relish pretty please Mamma67 :) , i made 13 jars of green tomato chutney yesterday, should be ready for xmas.

I've been hearing/reading snippets about Messers T & A reducing prices on their own label goods...anyone seen any evidence of this yet? I'm going to our 'local' MrT but because it's in the throes of major refurb, I'll have trouble finding ANYTHING, let alone bargains We get to MrA about three times a year, but if their prices are good, it may be worth going more often, even factoring the cost of petrol--cuz that's a fair bit cheaper there too

Goodmorning BigMummaF i can’t really say ive noticed yet, to the contrary actually, i almost fainted at the price of Asda’s smart price spaghetti yesterday 47p, hopefully soon some of the silly prices will soon drop a little.

Jackie x
  • gunsandbanjos
    Options
    Anyone seen the new 'discount brands' in Tesco?? Was in a little one today that i dont usually go to and they had lots of advertising of these discount brands, dont know if this is their way of competing with lidl and aldi. None of the brands were ones i recognised, so they are obviously adding new lines to their shelves. Hmmm, they looked more expensive than value but cheaper than leading brand:confused: curiouser and curiouser.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • angelnikki
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    I've been hearing/reading snippets about Messers T & A reducing prices on their own label goods...anyone seen any evidence of this yet? I'm going to our 'local' MrT but because it's in the throes of major refurb, I'll have trouble finding ANYTHING, let alone bargains :o We get to MrA about three times a year, but if their prices are good, it may be worth going more often, even factoring the cost of petrol--cuz that's a fair bit cheaper there too :mad:

I posted before about MrT's new "market value" F&V which are good value IMO esp the potatoes.

If you have an online account with MrT you can see the discounter here (you need to be logged in for this to work)

I dont think things are masssively reduced, but things that I have noticed that are cheaper include:

TV(Tesco Value) flour 1.5KG 33p was 35p
    TV butter 84p / unsalted butter 79p was 85p
    TV 6 pitta bread 22p was 26p
    TV 12 bread rolls 22p was 24p
    TV malt loaf 18p was 20p
    TV chopped tomatoes 20p was 21p
    TV kidney beans 12p was 14p
    TV sweetcorn 19p was 20p
    TV chicken noodles 7p was 8p
    TV UHT skimmed milk 41p was 49p :j
    TV tinned spaghetti 14p (not sure how much it was before)
    TV strawberry whip 5p was 7p
    TV jelly 7p was 8p
    TV rice pudding / custard 18p was 19p
    TV tortilla chips 17p was 18p
    TV oats 1KG 58p was 59p (mornflake oats are still £1.01 for 2KG ;) )
    MrT liquid colour wash £1.34 was £2.48
    MrT rice snaps 440g 89p was £1.11

So there's not really a big difference but they are lowering prices :j I'm not sure about branded stuff cos I never buy it (unless its cheaper ;) ) but I assume they will be the same with small reductions.

Nikki x
    :A
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's superb! Wish I'd seen it 10 minutes ago, I just did an online order from Asda :o
    I'll amend my total tomorrow night when it arrives so I know exactly how much it has cost. Tesco just emailed me a £7.50 voucher too so I'll use it next weekend.
  • echelon101
    Options
    angelnikki wrote: »
    TV oats 1KG 58p was 59p (mornflake oats are still £1.01 for 2KG ;) )

Wished they stocked Mornflake instore :(

Packet of crisps from V.machine = £0.60
    (I was hungry)
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
  • angelnikki
    Options
    echelon101 wrote: »
    Wished they stocked Mornflake instore :(

They do in my nearest MrT :confused: Try looking on the lower shelves ;)

Nikki x
    :A
  • WelshWoofer
    Options
    Hello!
    Just popping in to update the sig - £3.20 spent last night - and to tell you that the smallish Coop in my village has 14 packets of Walkers crisps (mixed flavour packs and single flavour packs) reduced to £1.28 (I think). I think they're good for lunch boxes (or general scoffing!)

Have about £25 to last until next Friday evening with a smallish shop to do tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll come in on budget:confused: ?

Hope everyone has a good weekend,
    Cheers for now
    R
  • gunsandbanjos
    Options
    Hmmm, think this week is going to be a struggle! I have £38.82 to do til the end of the month, have not been quite as organised as usual this week with starting uni and everything. Will try my best. Think i actually have a fair bit in the house so will try and shop from freezer and store cupboard, Fingers crossed:D
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    50p spent on some tiger bread in Asda and between me and my husband have eaten nearly a third of it :eek:

So I have £2.20 (£52.20) left for the month.

Asda have a few 50p deals over the weekend including butter, potatoes, tiger bread sausages and a couple of other things as well.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its my third non shopping day in a run so quite pleased about that.I'm using the food up in one of the freezers so we are having some decidedly odd meals but its got to be done:rolleyes:

Lesleyxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport